Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Toy room more than organizing question

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 1:19 pm
I'm dreaming of decorating our toy room cheaply. Something inviting and cozy at low cost.
I mostly have ikea Trofast storage. Think lots and lots of toys and boxes.
Not much else in the small room.
Links won't help because I'm not in the US. But looking for ideas of cheap wall art, cheap seating options etc
Any other ideas
Thanks!

amother
Grape

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 1:59 pm
Look for ideas on Pinterest! I have a whole board of ideas that I will implement one day in my future home lol. For a small room, I'd focus mostly on the walls so that there's still lots of space to play. Different stations, like a chalkboard area, and a roll of paper, with hanging containers of chalk/pens/markers... these can be made really cute, like this

A really out of the box wall idea is this:

Also, I love original decorative shelving, think trains, air balloons, rocket ships, eg (doesn't have to have books, can be decorative stuff or toys):

You could make a cozy reading corner with cushions and bean bags, and a book bin:

Also, if you have any of the lower IKEA trofast units, you can buy stickers to turn it into a road/city, for toy cars:

Can't find a pic right now, but I've also seen them with the big lego baseplates glued down, to serve as a base for lego creations

I could go on forever, I love designing play rooms in my head! Any help?

amother
Grape

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 2:10 pm
Also, for wall decor, I would do a gallery wall of different shape, size and design colorful frames. Some photos, some kids artwork, and some cool crafts like this:

If you have girls (I realize most of what I've posted is boyish - my baby is a boy, lol!):

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 2:12 pm
Wow these are great. Thank you for taking the time!
Any seating area ideas?

amother
Grape

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 2:17 pm
Also, paint one wall in fun colored geometric shapes!

Obviously, most of the pics can probably be bought somewhere for a lot of money. Being a DIYer I would see how I can simplify them and recreate them on my own. If you don't want to get sawing, then don't go for complex shelf shapes etc, just paint a background on the wall and put regular cheap ikea shelves, or a plain roll of paper etc onto the painted background. (like the house bookshelves above)

amother
Grape

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 2:25 pm
I would think about what your kids like to do when they're sitting. If they mostly color and do arts and crafts, then maybe, attach a rod and put the paper roll at the end of the table, so it can roll across the top. I'd get a table that has shelf/drawer space under to keep the relevant supplies like paints/markers and craft supplies. If it's used for stuff like play doh, then keep the play doh in the storage space, etc.

If it's used for playing games, you could paint a chessboard/chutes and ladders or that style game on top, and keep the pieces under.

Really any basic set of table and chairs/stools can work. You can even use the low trofast units. Here's some pics I found, but I have no clue where these are available from, so you're best off seeing what you can find around you and adapting it to match your function and decor:

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 4:08 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
I would think about what your kids like to do when they're sitting. If they mostly color and do arts and crafts, then maybe, attach a rod and put the paper roll at the end of the table, so it can roll across the top. I'd get a table that has shelf/drawer space under to keep the relevant supplies like paints/markers and craft supplies. If it's used for stuff like play doh, then keep the play doh in the storage space, etc.

If it's used for playing games, you could paint a chessboard/chutes and ladders or that style game on top, and keep the pieces under.

Really any basic set of table and chairs/stools can work. You can even use the low trofast units. Here's some pics I found, but I have no clue where these are available from, so you're best off seeing what you can find around you and adapting it to match your function and decor:

Thanks a million! Was thinking more along the lines of a cozy reading/chilling nook. Not a table.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 4:38 pm
Sure, here's a bunch of different inspiration from Pinterest. Some are much more of a "fixture", like proper furniture and permanent, some are more casual. I don't know what style you're looking for, but for general pointers I'd say go with a rug to delineate the area, so it doesn't spill over and end up taking over the whole room. Add a couple of cushions/beanbags/poufs, and decorative bookshelves/bins. Can also have a basket with a couple of snuggly throws. You can add a soft light lamp to make it even cozier when you turn off the main light.
The only thing I'd do differently is if it works out for you to put this cozy area by a window (doesn't have to be full width like the pic), then it's nice to do a comfy window seat with throw pillows and throws, can have storage/shelves underneath and on the walls.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 4:45 pm
Thank you!

Conscience

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 4:50 pm
Personally I would keep the place the least cluttered, clean, and as spacious possible.
Children need the clean environment and the more distractions around the less they will concentrate and function optimally.
I found the montessori style playrooms the most practical and inviting.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 5:49 am
100% I was in no way suggesting that OP use all of these ideas at once, nor in these sizes, shapes and colors. I'd pick one or two features and find a way to blend them into the room. I have no idea what OP's style is, so I took screenshots of all sorts of things.

Personally, I'd go for minimal furniture in light wood/white, with a few bright pops of color in things like doorknobs, photo frames, and one of the throw cushions in the cozy area. Nothing at all in the middle of the room. Toy storage along one wall. A roll of paper and supplies on the opposite wall, with the gallery of photos/crafts, and a small cozy corner in one corner.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 1:24 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
Look for ideas on Pinterest! I have a whole board of ideas that I will implement one day in my future home lol. For a small room, I'd focus mostly on the walls so that there's still lots of space to play. Different stations, like a chalkboard area, and a roll of paper, with hanging containers of chalk/pens/markers... these can be made really cute, like this

A really out of the box wall idea is this:

Also, I love original decorative shelving, think trains, air balloons, rocket ships, eg (doesn't have to have books, can be decorative stuff or toys):

You could make a cozy reading corner with cushions and bean bags, and a book bin:

Also, if you have any of the lower IKEA trofast units, you can buy stickers to turn it into a road/city, for toy cars:

Can't find a pic right now, but I've also seen them with the big lego baseplates glued down, to serve as a base for lego creations

I could go on forever, I love designing play rooms in my head! Any help?

Omg can I hire you?!! I would love those ideas in my house, just don't even know where to start with them!

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 1:30 pm
Yes! Are you available for hire? I'm in Lakewood, or I could do virtual.
I think Playroom Designer could be a fantastic niche side job!

amother
Grape

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 4:08 am
Very Happy I'm not in the US and I don't really have the time to take on a new job right now, but Playroom Designer is definitely a job I would love!! (Best part would be I could implement all the different ideas, because that's impossible in just one playroom).

Happy to help over here if you want specific ideas though! And highly recommend Pinterest, there's so much inspiration there.

amother
Grape

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 4:09 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Omg can I hire you?!! I would love those ideas in my house, just don't even know where to start with them!

If you have a specific one you like that you think can fit in to your house, I'm happy to help you implement it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics