Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Which out of town community?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shayna82

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:29 pm
yeah, thats why he started it a long time ago.

whoever wants to nitpick can find anything wrong with any place.

just wondering when the last time you were here was? the frum community has changed for the better ina lot of ways in the last couple of years.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:32 pm
In any case, it's best for the OP to make the decision of where she wants to live, and visit different communities. People might think they know what's best for another person, but usually you don't know people better than they know themselves.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:37 pm
chaylizi wrote:
amother wrote:
Do these communities have strong kollels?
How is the cost of living (or how much would you need to live there)?

toledo has a brand new yeshiva & lots of new young couples from the midwest area.

Lots? Really?

The school is still co-ed though. It's not established enough yet IMO for what it seems like the poster is looking for.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:

Cincinnati has a strong kollel, and is really growing, both in numbers, and in "yeshivishness" (e.g. the high school for girls is now instituting uniforms).
However, the day school is still co-ed for secular studies in the upper grades (younger grades, for both except music and gym, as far as I know).
Cost of living is very cheap. A 4 BR house is probably around 200K. The community is pretty close together, so many kids can walk to school/shul/kollel, etc which costs down on cost.
Strong Agudah presence which got vouchers state wide for kids entering school so tuition is very cheap.
Cholov Yisroel is expensive, kosher meat a tad more than on the east coast, but all in all, pretty affordable.
But I'm not sure if the schooling would bother you.
(You can PM me if you want more info/contacts there.)

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:46 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
chaylizi wrote:
amother wrote:

toledo has a brand new yeshiva & lots of new young couples from the midwest area.

Lots? Really?

The school is still co-ed though. It's not established enough yet IMO for what it seems like the poster is looking for.

there are plenty of yeshivish families that moved there. the yeshiva high school is absolutely not coed & I did mention that the younger kids had to go to school in detroit. I suggested all together 7-8 cities. I have no vested interests in an anonymous or even not anonymous poster moving to any one of them. I don't live in toledo. but there is a new yeshiva there & a growing community. I'm sure op can make her own decisions as to whether this is appropriate for her & her family.

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:54 pm
thanks everyone for your replies. they all continue to be so helpful!!
this thread and the imamothers are proving to be great because I don't have access to so many different people and communities and pov's in real life. so continue to bring it on!

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:55 pm
Highland Park, NJ
If I can live anywhere, I'd pick there. It's an amazing community, very diverse. Edison yeshiva is there and close to other NJ neighborhoods. They just opened a girls high school. Not sure about the cost of living though.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:57 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
amother wrote:

Cincinnati has a strong kollel, and is really growing, both in numbers, and in "yeshivishness" (e.g. the high school for girls is now instituting uniforms).
However, the day school is still co-ed for secular studies in the upper grades (younger grades, for both except music and gym, as far as I know).
Cost of living is very cheap. A 4 BR house is probably around 200K. The community is pretty close together, so many kids can walk to school/shul/kollel, etc which costs down on cost.
Strong Agudah presence which got vouchers state wide for kids entering school so tuition is very cheap.
Cholov Yisroel is expensive, kosher meat a tad more than on the east coast, but all in all, pretty affordable.

cincinnati's high school is RITSS isn't it? the girls that I know from there seemed to be more on the modern side. if she is looking for a yeshivish community that's lakewoodish, this probably isn't it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:04 pm
chaylizi wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
chaylizi wrote:
amother wrote:

Lots? Really?

there are plenty of yeshivish families that moved there. the yeshiva high school is absolutely not coed & I did mention that the younger kids had to go to school in detroit. I suggested all together 7-8 cities. I have no vested interests in an anonymous or even not anonymous poster moving to any one of them. I don't live in toledo. but there is a new yeshiva there & a growing community. I'm sure op can make her own decisions as to whether this is appropriate for her & her family.

I was asking out of curiosity, not to antagonize you.
(I know Toledo, and I know the person who started the yeshiva. I hadn't heard any new information in a year, and was just pleasantly surprised it's really taken off!)
Didn't notice your comment about school in Detroit (I almost did this when I was in second grade Wink)
Of course the yeshiva high school is not co-ed!

I really think you're turning this more into something I never intended. I also think the OP should make her own decision, but I just wanted to clarify that I don't think Toledo has the same "feel" as some of the other cities mentioned in terms of community at this point. That's all. Peace?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:06 pm
chaylizi wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
amother wrote:

cincinnati's high school is RITSS isn't it? the girls that I know from there seemed to be more on the modern side. if she is looking for a yeshivish community that's lakewoodish, this probably isn't it.

There is no dorm there anymore. It's mainly in-towners, and many of the girls are actually from kollel families. The RITSS now is nothing you would recognize from the past when it was a larger mix. It's still a mix, as any high school would be in a small community where there is one school, and of course it's not Lakewood, but neither is any single midwestern city!

Lani22

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:26 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Highland Park, NJ
If I can live anywhere, I'd pick there. It's an amazing community, very diverse. Edison yeshiva is there and close to other NJ neighborhoods. They just opened a girls high school. Not sure about the cost of living though.

I grew up in Highland Park, NJ. It is a great place. Cost of living a pretty much on par with any other NY/NJ neighborhood. Housing is getting expensive and as far as I know tuition is not "cheap" I think elemntary school is like 8-10k per child. Shopping is great though and its a nice mix of ppl.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:27 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
chaylizi wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
amother wrote:

There is no dorm there anymore. It's mainly in-towners, and many of the girls are actually from kollel families. The RITSS now is nothing you would recognize from the past when it was a larger mix. It's still a mix, as any high school would be in a small community where there is one school, and of course it's not Lakewood, but neither is any single midwestern city!

yes & that is why I love the midwest. I am so unlakewood

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:34 pm
We can't afford (and aren't looking for) NY/NJ type living expensives. Obviously, looking into small out of town communities, I realize it won't be big and ny'ish.
Also, dh said he'd like a community where he'd be able to be involved, like giving shiur and stuff like that. he davka wants kiruv kollel type.
I think the cost of living is high in passaic?

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:42 pm
are you looking for a ny-ish type of community?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:43 pm
Is he looking to join a kollel?
Kiruv kollelim usually are hard to get paying positions...

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:45 pm
ask a chofetz chaim guy where they usually go. b/c after they are done in kollel- they generally go out to do kiruv type stuff outside of ny. the one person I'm thinking of went to silver spring- but I understand it is expensive to live there. maybe b/c it's close to washington

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:50 pm
chaylizi wrote:
are you looking for a ny-ish type of community?

I don't think so. we can't afford it and dh doesn't like the very ny-ish or very yeshivish or very city-ish. and its too expensive anyways. plus, we are currently living in an out of town type of place so I'm more used to that (although I'd have to learn to drive).

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:57 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Is he looking to join a kollel?
Kiruv kollelim usually are hard to get paying positions...

thats exactly one of the things we are trying to find out. he is in kollel now. and wants to continue. but by the time we are going back, he wants to (if not right away then after a year or two) get some kind of part time, even very part time (cuz hopefully I'll be making enough) shiur or s/t like that. like night seder or s/t.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 3:04 pm
I am not trying to push anything, but just because I know Cincinnati, I think they have some program which is part time kollel, part time school/work that's kind of new. Agudah in Cincinnati is very good about helping frum Jews find jobs, especially if they're new to the community/workforce, and many actually work with other community members.
Other communities I am sure would be more than happy to let your husband learn in the kollel, but not necessarily be willing to give an official position/paycheck/etc...though I doubt anyone would turn down shiurim.
There may be other places that have part time kollelim, I'm not sure.

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 3:24 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I am not trying to push anything, but just because I know Cincinnati, I think they have some program which is part time kollel, part time school/work that's kind of new. Agudah in Cincinnati is very good about helping frum Jews find jobs, especially if they're new to the community/workforce, and many actually work with other community members.
Other communities I am sure would be more than happy to let your husband learn in the kollel, but not necessarily be willing to give an official position/paycheck/etc...though I doubt anyone would turn down shiurim.
There may be other places that have part time kollelim, I'm not sure.

he is interested in full time kollel now but also would like, down the road, to give shiurim, learn with baalabatim, that type of thing. he'd be willing to start off sans paycheck and when there is an opening, have a chance at the official position with paycheck.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating