Home

Always been embarrassed to ask but…
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




Feverfew
 

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:39 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Maybe someone here can settle this dispute between myself and someone I know -

Do you need to say Modeh Ani when waking up from a nap?

I always thought 'yes', the other person always thought 'no'.

Answers anyone? Preferably with a source - thanks!

(And thanks again OP for starting this thread)


I think it would be similar to washing negel vasser, if 20-30 minutes or longer
Back to top

amother




Hyacinth
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 1:39 am
Do you sit or stand when saying nishmas
In shacharis on shabbos morning.
Back to top

Living Princess




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:01 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
Do you sit or stand when saying nishmas
In shacharis on shabbos morning.


Sit
Back to top

amother




Melon
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:05 am
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
My kids were given boxes of matza at school for Pesach. The boxes have brachot written on them with Hashem's name written as hey yud. How am I supposed to dispose of the empty boxes?


I would cut out the Brocha and put it in Shaimos. Rather be safe. And they shouldn't really do that the should just write the Brocha on this product is Hamotzi.
Back to top

amother




Melon
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:10 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Maybe someone here can settle this dispute between myself and someone I know -

Do you need to say Modeh Ani when waking up from a nap?

I always thought 'yes', the other person always thought 'no'.

Answers anyone? Preferably with a source - thanks!

(And thanks again OP for starting this thread)


The minhag is only say it when you wake up in the morning - when you are waking up to start your day. You are thanking the Creator for returning your Neshama to you. Being that your Neshama is only "taken" at night you would only say Modeh Ani when you wake up in the morning. I can try to find a source but it's probably in the Kitzur.

At the same time, you can sing it all day if you want, it's not like a brocha levatala or anything like that.
Back to top

myname1




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:55 am
TCFrenk wrote:
I think white rice and brown rice are the same thing (brown rice is milled for a shorter amount of time). I would be surprised to hear that they are different berochos!


Why would you be surprised? When wheat is not turned into flour, it's haadoma. When it's milled into flour and made into something, it's mezonos. Something more processed is often a defferent bracha.

In this case, I also learned white rice in mezonos and brown rice, if it's not cooked enough to stick together, is haadoma. Same for barley I believe- haadoma, and if cooked enough that it sticks together, mezonos.

But like someone else mentioned, often easier to make a bracha on something else for each of the brachos. Like make mezonos on a cracker and haadoma on a cucumber, and then eat your rice with peace of mind Smile
Back to top

amother




Crimson
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 5:23 am
How do you know if something is hamotzi or mezonot? Things with yeast - the yeast is usually proofed with water so does that make ot hamotzi?
Back to top

amother




Ginger
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 5:59 am
Living Princess wrote:
Sit

Actually, I was taught to stand when saying nishmas
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 6:20 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
How do you know if something is hamotzi or mezonot? Things with yeast - the yeast is usually proofed with water so does that make ot hamotzi?

I'm not sure what the premise is for thinking proofing yeast would make it hamotzi, is that based on something you learned?

Cooked in a liquid like boiling or frying is mezonos.
If filled like a Danish, mezonos
If sweet, mezonos (this is where it gets tricky though as to how sweet... But cakes would be)
If crunchy like a cracker, mezonos
Back to top

mamaleh




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 6:34 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'm not sure what the premise is for thinking proofing yeast would make it hamotzi, is that based on something you learned?

Cooked in a liquid like boiling or frying is mezonos.
If filled like a Danish, mezonos
If sweet, mezonos (this is where it gets tricky though as to how sweet... But cakes would be)
If crunchy like a cracker, mezonos


I believe the correct word here is enriched, not sweet. If the flour is mixed with a liquid other than water, it is mezonos. The question is (and I believe this is why she mentioned proofing the yeast in water) what happens when you use water & another liquid? That is a big shayla and will depend on many factors: the amount of each liquid, the final texture, taste and purpose, and whether you are ashkenaz or sefard. This is definitely an aylor situation as so much goes into each case. For example, their are many breads, rolls, pita, etc. on the market that are labeled mezonos because they are made with juice. Many rabbonim hold that ashkenazim should wash on them because they look, taste and are used as bread.
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 6:42 am
Ah ok
Because we hold they are still hamotzi, it didn't even occur to me that she was asking about "mezonos" pizza dough made with apple juice, etc
I was thinking more like kokosh cake which is mezonos by virtue of being filled...

(And I used the word sweet because that is the exact lashon I was told)
Back to top

amother




Whitesmoke
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 7:22 am
I'm never sure what to say in benching when it comes to blessing one's family. In school or public settings we always said "v'es kol hamesubin kan" but I'm not sure that's appropriate at home with my family. Do I say Harachaman hu yevarech osi v'es ba'ali? What about my parents?
Back to top

Miri1




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 10:51 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'm not sure what the premise is for thinking proofing yeast would make it hamotzi, is that based on something you learned?

Cooked in a liquid like boiling or frying is mezonos.
If filled like a Danish, mezonos
If sweet, mezonos (this is where it gets tricky though as to how sweet... But cakes would be)
If crunchy like a cracker, mezonos



Its really not possible to summarize these halachos in a few sentences.
Determining which bracha to make is complicated and also can depend on how much you're eating amongst other things.
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:47 am
Miri1 wrote:
Its really not possible to summarize these halachos in a few sentences.
Determining which bracha to make is complicated and also can depend on how much you're eating amongst other things.

True. I was giving a very very basic outline and people really do need to do more in depth learning. I was really just addressing what takes something away from the status of hamotzi to mezonos when not in a meal type setting
(As I later clarified, I still say hamotzi on "mezonos" rolls/pizza, etc since I eat those as meal items)

I was just trying to help the poster who was confused as to what would turn something from hamotzi to mezonos
Back to top

amother




Feverfew
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:53 am
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
I'm never sure what to say in benching when it comes to blessing one's family. In school or public settings we always said "v'es kol hamesubin kan" but I'm not sure that's appropriate at home with my family. Do I say Harachaman hu yevarech osi v'es ba'ali? What about my parents?


The main principle I learned is that you're making the harachaman for the host. So at your own home it would be "osi v'es baali", at your parents "Avi mori ba'al habayis...", and at friends just "ba'al habayis..." Where it gets trickier (imo) is public venues like a dinner or restaurant. At a Simcha I think you can say "ba'al(ei) hasimcha".

You can always add "v'es kul hamesubin kan" if there are others there too.
Back to top

amother




Babypink
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:53 am
Here's my question:
When being mafrish challah from a dough, do you remove the piece
A. Before making the bracha
B. After making the bracha
C. Hold on to the dough and separate while making the bracha

I do C as I don't remember what is the correct way. Can't Believe It embarrassed wondering
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:54 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
True. I was giving a very very basic outline and people really do need to do more in depth learning. I was really just addressing what takes something away from the status of hamotzi to mezonos when not in a meal type setting
(As I later clarified, I still say hamotzi on "mezonos" rolls/pizza, etc since I eat those as meal items)

I was just trying to help the poster who was confused as to what would turn something from hamotzi to mezonos

(I was mainly categorizing pas haba b'kisnin)
Back to top

amother




Feverfew
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:55 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Here's my question:
When being mafrish challah from a dough, do you remove the piece
A. Before making the bracha
B. After making the bracha
C. Hold on to the dough and separate while making the bracha

I do C as I don't remember what is the correct way. Can't Believe It embarrassed wondering


I ( believe I was taught to) do D: hold a portion that I will pull off during the Bracha (kind of like holding the piece of food or cup in your hand while making the Bracha), then pull it off the dough when I finish.
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:56 am
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
The main principle I learned is that you're making the harachaman for the host. So at your own home it would be "osi v'es baali", at your parents "Avi mori ba'al habayis...", and at friends just "ba'al habayis..." Where it gets trickier (imo) is public venues like a dinner or restaurant. At a Simcha I think you can say "ba'al(ei) hasimcha".

You can always add "v'es kul hamesubin kan" if there are others there too.

So I actually do at my own home a harochamon for my parents without Baal babayis hazeh plus a harochamon for my husband, etc

Don't know if that's the popular opinion to do though
Back to top

PeanutMama




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:56 am
Another one that I’m always confused at and why I never eat bread out lol.

At restaurants where you say hamotzi


What do you say at the harachaman hu yevarech es part?
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 15 of 19 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Do you always greet your neighbors?
by amother
13 Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:49 pm View last post
Dh always in pain
by amother
5 Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:06 am View last post
DD11 is embarrassed of her body
by amother
19 Wed, Sep 07 2022, 7:21 am View last post
Asics Kayano sneakers, are new models always better than
by amother
3 Thu, Aug 25 2022, 10:02 pm View last post
DS always itching himself
by amother
7 Tue, Aug 23 2022, 12:57 pm View last post