Always been embarrassed to ask but…
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Brown

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all…
Decided to try to say the Pirkei Avos cycle each Shabbos afternoon until Shavuos. I forgot yesterday - too late ?

Somehow I always think of this as a summer thing (sigh).

From when to when does it actually go, and how are you supposed to know what week you are supposed to be on (assuming there is a "supposed to be" in terms of this)?

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:17 am
From the Shabbos after Pesach til and including the Shabbos before Rosh Hashana. One perek a week.

amother

Oxfordblue

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 4:11 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
From the Shabbos after Pesach til and including the Shabbos before Rosh Hashana. One perek a week.

The last cycle will often have weeks with 2 perakim. Most Jewish calendars (at least those I’ve seen) list the perek/perakim for each Shabbos.

amother

OP

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 3:41 am
Hi all! As I live nearby , I visit the Ohel from time to time to daven. I see people writing on a paper, reading it at the actual kever and ripping it up before throwing it in. Can someone please enlighten me ? Is there a specific procedure to this ? What does one write on the paper? Thanks !

amother

Clear

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 3:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all! As I live nearby , I visit the Ohel from time to time to daven. I see people writing on a paper, reading it at the actual kever and ripping it up before throwing it in. Can someone please enlighten me ? Is there a specific procedure to this ? What does one write on the paper? Thanks !

https://www.chabad.org/therebb.....l.htm

amother

OP

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 10:18 am
Thank you ! This was very helpful! Is there a standard of how many times to rip up the paper? Someone told me 4, someone else told me 5.

amother

Violet

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:00 am
Not a halacha question, but... what do you say to the kallah/kallah's mother when you go up to see them by kabalas panim? What do you talk about when you dance with them in the middle of the circle?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:09 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Not a halacha question, but... what do you say to the kallah/kallah's mother when you go up to see them by kabalas panim? What do you talk about when you dance with them in the middle of the circle?

Besides, “mazal Tov, you look beautiful “?

amother

Violet

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:53 am
Iymnok wrote:
Besides, “mazal Tov, you look beautiful “?

Yes : ) thanks

amother

Wallflower

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:59 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

You look beautiful, the girls looks beautiful, I’m so happy for you… more of that if you want…

amother

Seablue

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you ! This was very helpful! Is there a standard of how many times to rip up the paper? Someone told me 4, someone else told me 5.

I've never heard of this. I rip mine in the tiniest pieces because that's what I like to do. Except lately when I've gone it's been so crowded plus me holding a heavy toddler that if I manage to rip it once or twice I'm good.
I cannot believe how crowded it is whenever I go. You need 770 Tishrei experience to push in there.

Window

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:50 am
invisiblecircus wrote:
I do it this way too. I hold that the bracha is always said before performing a mitvah. I also say the bracha before lighting Shabbat candles and before immersing in the mikvah (the latter also allows me to say the bracha while covered) but many people do not do it this way.

What? Never heard of this. The Bracha is usually said before the mitzvah, but there are some exceptions for GOOD reasons. After you say the Bracha for shabbos candles, it is shabbos and fire is muktza!
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 Recent Topics

Page 17 of 17 View latest: 24h 48h 72h