Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
How do you daven to Hashem?

Goldengrl327

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 12:23 pm
I know about davening, am MO mother to 2 boys, but when people discuss "turning towards Hashem" or "davening to Hashem" what does that mean?

I've been searching for an answer or guidance to this question for the last few years. I know there are Tehilim that people say but, is that what you do? Do you go through the recommended daily tehilim or say specific ones when you need some chizuk?
Or do you just close your eyes and say "please G-d, help me get through x,y,z"?

I love, love, love the idea of daily davening but am not on the level where I can commit to doing it every day. But I feel the passion to thank Hashem for giving me life everyday (like in the morning brachot). I had read an article about the "core" davening a person should say everyday and I was surprised that the morning brachot were not on there.

I'm not looking to bombard Hashem with materialistic requests - it's more of watching out for my son who was just drafted into the Israeli army, helping my younger son deal with his anxiety, things like that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 12:33 pm
I talk to Hashem all day. For the good and for the bad.

Please Hashem help the light turn green already because baby is SHREIKING in the car.

Please Hashem help that we get to the other side of the street safely.

Please Hashem help my son should like his breakfast/ lunch/ supper and he should be satiated.

Etc. Etc.

I also say Thank you Hashem all day. My biggest nachas is that my little 2.5 year old is constantly saying TYH throughout his day and he coaches the baby to say it too 😊😊

Even when I'm annoyed, I'll speak to Hashem. For example last night. Both children weren't falling asleep, both crying and I still had a lot to do. I yelled at Hashem "Hashem, you have two children who need your help! Please calm down baby's stomach and let her either burp or pass her gas already! And please help my toddler calm down from his nightmare and go back to sleep!.

I do not have time for formal davening these day other than the morning brachos.

Why don't you just ask Hashem "Please keep my son safe in the army, let him be successful, and do the right thing for You and klal yisroel. Let him come home safely to the warm embrace of his mother, father and siblings." Just say what's on your mind. In your own language. Hashem hears it all.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 1:11 pm
I talk to Hashem all day. In my own words. Please help me find a parking spot. Thank you for that. Please help my kids do well. Please help us get through this tantrum. Thank you. Please give a refuah shelaima to x.

motherfrmisrael

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 2:32 pm
This might help you. I heard int he name of Rebetzin Kaganoff (of Shearim), to do like this (I don't know what her source is)

Praise Hashem
Request
Thank Hashem

For example:

Hashem, you gave and give me everything. Please send us a better Parnasha. Thank you.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 2:35 pm
Talk to HaShem.

jewishmom6

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 2:49 pm
I say tehillim by heart and talk to Hashem in my own words.

I thank Hashem and say mizmor lesoda a lot.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 3:35 pm
I'm a geirus and married Litvish. All the women I know in my community daven shacharis and mincha and say the morning brachos. If you look in Ohel Sarah Women's Siddur from ArtScroll (I use the Ashkenaz), it gives the priorities of the daily prayers (look under the general guidelines at the front of the siddur. As time permits, you can say any or all these prayers...
My daily prayer routine is:

As I first wake up: Modei Ani and then ritually wash my hands with the negli vassar by my bed
(then go to the bathroom)
Wash hands, then say Al Nitilas Yadayim (wipe hands dry) then say Asher Yotzar

MORNINGS (before midday) SHACHARIS

Adon Olam (English)

Morning Brachos (English)

Baruch She-Omar (Hebrew)

Ashray (Hebrew)

Yishtabach (Hebrew)

Shemoneh Esrei - Amidah (English) *add names of people for their refuah

Ashray (Hebrew)

Olaynu/Al Kayn/Al Tiro (Hebrew)

AFTERNOON (10 minutes before sunset, as with the minyanim) MINCHA

Ashray (Hebrew)

Shemoneh Esrei - Amidah (English) *add names of people for their refuah

NIGHT (anytime before going to bed, but before bedtime) MAARIV

[I]Shemoneh Esrei - Amidah (English) *add names of people for their refuah

And now I also add the counting of the Omer
[/I]

BEDTIME (said anytime for going to bed)
Rabeinu (English)

Hamapil (English)

Shema (Hebrew)

Veahavta (Hebrew)

Adding the protection of Hashem and the 4 angels, recite 3 times (English)

Adon Olam (English)

On Shabbos I add Nishmas Kol Chai before the Shemonei Esrei, and add the Musaf

I also recite Tehillim everyday, the daily one for the day of the week after shacharis but before Olaynu is said,

and, generally add the kapitlak for my husband and myself and 62 for Klal Yisroel after davening everyday.

Everyday add for protection of my family and myself these kapitlak: 1, 20, 23, 25, 51, 67, 113, 121, 130 and 150...mostly add the before and after prayers for reciting Tehillim so I can add the names of those I know who need a refuah.

Shabbos, I belong to a Tehillim group and my portion is Shabbos, reciting 120-150

Shabbos, I also add on Shabbos Tikkun HaKlali, as recommended by R. Nachman of Breslov:
16, 32, 41, 42, 59, 77, 90, 105, 137, 150

And also on Shabbos, Tikkun HaGadol, as recommended by R. Yeshayah Levi Povitch the Shelah HaKadosh:
must say in this order:
79, 80, 137, 25, 51, 90, 89, 98, 107, 96

There are other kapitlak if Klal Yisroel is in eminent danger I will recite:

83, 142, 133, 58, 57, 59, 75

20, 22, 46, 69, 83, 91, 121, 130, 144

That is my routine and I usually accomplish all the davening unless something comes up, in which if I can, I will make those that I missed up at the next prayer time. I haven't always davened like this, but added on prayers because they were so beautiful. It is my daily korbanos to Hashem. I have found lots of brachos in my life by staying connected to Him this way. My davening morning brachos is about 6 minutes, shacharis 16 minutes, mincha 7 minutes, maariv 4 to 5 minutes. The daily Tehillim 8 minutes, the Shabbos Tehillim takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes.[b] I have a tranliterated weekday siddur in which I found prayers in my routine to say in Hebrew, as well as a transilterated Tehillim. Bracha v'hatzlocha Heart

married1234

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 4:06 pm
For me it’s not so much davening, I’m just not on that level yet
During the day if I have anything difficult going on, I make a quick mental note and ask Him for His help
If something good happens, I do the same with a thank you(harder to remember)
And I take the time when I’m lighting candles to pray for myself and my family. That’s when I take the most time to have a conversation with him
Do what works for you on your level. Or take on something small to feel more connected
It doesn’t have to be only through tefillah

SG18

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 5:10 pm
I simply speak to HaShem. I do my best to say Asher Yatzar, brachot surrounding food, and Shema before bed, if possible, because I feel connected to it.
But mostly it's just talking. I feel a very strong connection to God, which I know is the most important thing.
Whenever I see Him in my life, I acknowledge it. I ask for help in whatever I am trying to accomplish.

mazelandbracha

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 5:26 pm
Do you have an "Aneini" or Tefillas Chana? There are also books in the Tehillim section of sefarim stores that are called things like "Techinos" or "Tefillos." I find that I can connect best to that kind of tefilla. Each one has different things for different situations, like something to say when a woman is in labor, or when marrying off a child, or for your husband's well-being. I even saw recently something to say for hatzlacha finding an apartment! They are generally in clear hebrew, and not very long. I find it comforting to flip through the table of contents, find a relevant tefilla, and ask Hashem for what I need in a "formal" way.

happytobemom

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 6:29 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
I talk to Hashem all day. For the good and for the bad.

Please Hashem help the light turn green already because baby is SHREIKING in the car.

Please Hashem help that we get to the other side of the street safely.

Please Hashem help my son should like his breakfast/ lunch/ supper and he should be satiated.

Etc. Etc.

I also say Thank you Hashem all day. My biggest nachas is that my little 2.5 year old is constantly saying TYH throughout his day and he coaches the baby to say it too 😊😊

Even when I'm annoyed, I'll speak to Hashem. For example last night. Both children weren't falling asleep, both crying and I still had a lot to do. I yelled at Hashem "Hashem, you have two children who need your help! Please calm down baby's stomach and let her either burp or pass her gas already! And please help my toddler calm down from his nightmare and go back to sleep!.

I do not have time for formal davening these day other than the morning brachos.

Why don't you just ask Hashem "Please keep my son safe in the army, let him be successful, and do the right thing for You and klal yisroel. Let him come home safely to the warm embrace of his mother, father and siblings." Just say what's on your mind. In your own language. Hashem hears it all.

I couldn't have said it better. Sounds like a true "YiddishMom"!

superwomanA1

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:58 am
Hadhem loves it when we talk to him, asking for whatever we want small and big and thanking Him after, just as you want your children to talk to you and would be happy for them to ask you for their wants and needs and you would feel good to give them. ' 'bombarding' is not relevant at all, on the contrary, the constant connection through Tefila whether formal prayers or in our own words, works both ways to form a connection, which is beautiful

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 3:03 am
I try to say brachos during the week and Daven Shabbos morning.

Throughout my day I try to remember to talk to Him. As a poster above mentioned say a praise, request, and thanks. Even just once a day and that counts as a preyed. (Talking to myself. I need to work on this.)

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 3:24 am
I do brachos, sometimes I do a whole sacharis, I say parshas hamann and nishmas everyday...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational