Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Cutting baby’s hair

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 9:56 am
My 1 yr old has very long blonde hair. I am considering keeping it long until he’s 3, but his hair is getting in his eyes. Maybe a dumb question but what do other people do- do you trim their bangs but leave the rest of their hair long until 3?

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 9:59 am
If you don't cut until 3, then you don't cut at all until 3.
If you cut then you can just cut it short, no need to leave the rest long.
Is it your minhag to do an upsherin? If you don't cut before 3, put it back in a pony or clip so it's not in his eyes.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 10:00 am
I don’t have a minhag since I’m a BT which is why I’m confused. I don’t think his hair would stay in a ponytail but I want it out of his eyes

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 10:02 am
What about a clip?

amother
Daisy

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 10:02 am
I would trim the bangs and leave the rest long. We don't have a minhag not to cut til 3, but I like to cut the long hair then. But I would trim as necessary. He'll probably look really cute with bangs Smile

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 10:03 am
My son has very long hair and I make him ponytails with the small clear pony holders and they stay really nicely. We don’t cut until 3 so it’s not an option for us to cut bangs but I do know some people who do.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 10:05 am
We don't cut til 3 but we do trim bangs that go in the eyes.

amother
Birch

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 10:23 am
I cut before three. They look adorable with a cute styled haircut. And best thing is they look like a boy.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 10:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t have a minhag since I’m a BT which is why I’m confused. I don’t think his hair would stay in a ponytail but I want it out of his eyes

It’s not our minhag to grow it. But I wasn’t ready to cut it at 1 so I clipped his bags Myself (curly hair which is easier than straight since it doesn’t require precision) I don’t like the look of ponytails and clips on baby boys. He’s now almost 20 months and will likely get his hair cut soon

mommyhood

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 11:50 am
We don’t do any intentional cutting before upsherin. if you’re going to cut the bangs then just cut it to whatever cute haircut you want.
I use little plastic ponytails just for the bangs in the beginning until it’s long enough for a full pony. I can’t say I love the look but clips don’t stay in fine baby hair. This is the type of pony I use. Not necessarily this company just this style is what stays in.
Limited-time deal: Clear Elastic Hair Rubber Bands, 1500pcs Mini Small Clear Ponytail Elastics Holders for Blond Kids Girls Hair No Crease Damage No Hurt 1 inch HOYOLS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G.....507ZR

amother
Stone

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 12:13 pm
We don't have the minhag of waiting for an upsherin. DH's family doesn't do it and I didn't grow up with it either. With my girls I used headbands and clips and ponytails to keep their hair out of their eyes. With my boys I have my mother trim the bangs while I hold them on my lap since I trust her more than myself for this. Once they need a proper haircut I take them to a barber/salon that deals with kids.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 1:12 pm
I did a small pony.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 10:20 am
Update- his daycare said he couldn’t wear ponytails because he was pulling out the hair tie and he and other babies were trying to eat them Sad now without the hair tie people think he’s a girl so I think I’m going to cut his hair but I’m kinda sad about it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics