Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Dressing down in nicer restaurants in lakewood
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 4:19 pm
Is there any nicer restaurant ( not israeli style, not quick burger type of place ) like entree, charq type that someone would feel comfortable going to dressed down? Think snood, no make up, slinky skirt type. Or is everyone dressed to the nines in these places?

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 4:21 pm
Maybe not dressed to the nines.. but a snood and slinky will probably be out of place. Sorry. What is the circumstances here?

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 4:41 pm
I was in ottimo and they couple next to us was very dressed down
Wife was in a snood and casual clothing
Was totally out of place

zaq

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 4:41 pm
In a white-tablecloth establishment (the term for "fine dining" with waiter service, in a restaurant where the tables are covered in real tablecloths, usually white), they mightn't throw you out for wearing a snood and slinky, but it's not the norm. I've never heard of a kosher place denying seating to someone dressed not in accordance with the tone of the establshment, but I've certainly heard of elegant tref restaurants denying seating to men who were not wearing jackets and ties.

If you're lechatchilah intending to eat out dressed like a soccer mom, go to a "family-style" eatery, which means no waiters, no tablecloths, fairly fast food. Pizza/falafel, burger joint, deli, that sort of thing. It's insulting to show up in jogging clothes to an establishment that aims for an elegant atmosphere.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 4:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is there any nicer restaurant ( not israeli style, not quick burger type of place ) like entree, charq type that someone would feel comfortable going to dressed down? Think snood, no make up, slinky skirt type. Or is everyone dressed to the nines in these places?

I've only been once to an entree type place and many people were not dressed to the nines.....most were at "kids school performance" dress level.

Not sure in Lakewood any place you'll feel totally comfortable in a snood and slinky:) my kids were protesting loudly that I wanted to take them for pizza a week before pesach in the rain while wearing a snood......I stuck to my guns as my shobbos sheitel was freashly set and my weekday was as the sheitel macher!!! I do have to admit that I was the only one in a snood (but I was NOT the only one in a snood that day at Brooklyn southwest and npgs, so there!).

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:07 pm
amother [ Firethorn ] wrote:
Maybe not dressed to the nines.. but a snood and slinky will probably be out of place.

This

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:12 pm
A fall and a Jean skirt would do better than a snood and slinky skirt.

Even a pretty tichel with a pretty basic dress wouldn’t be as out of place.

If you’re going on a date or out with friends - get dressed. You’ll feel so nice about it

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:15 pm
This might be a dumb question, but why can't you just throw in a sheitel?

I don't think a slinky skirt is such an issue.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:32 pm
It's an issue of migraines, can't wear short skirts with tights or sheitels. Never gone to a nice place because of that but really want to. A sheitel is the biggest issue.

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:37 pm
I think you'll feel out of place but can get away with it if it doesn't bother you. No one is kicking you out.

Though I would do a pretty tichel over a chenille snood and a trendy maxi skirt over a slinky skirt.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's an issue of migraines, can't wear short skirts with tights or sheitels. Never gone to a nice place because of that but really want to. A sheitel is the biggest issue.

You can wear one of those beautiful headscarves- prettied bandana type.
Also they make nice long printed colored skirts

amother
Peru

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think a nice Tichel and maxi dress will be fine.
A snood and slinky skirt is also fine if your comfortable with being different

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:40 pm
I hate my sheitel and wear a tichel everywhere including fancy restaurants. I stick out but don't care.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

There are beautiful maxi dresses these days that aren’t a shmatta T-shirt and slinky. Also gorgeous tichels out there.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:43 pm
Can you post links to these tichels? I don't know which ones are considered nice.

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:45 pm
Please get yourself some pretty scarves. If you use a wig grip they stay in place with a simple single knot. I found that two bobby pins on the grip hold everything in place all day.
A beautiful scarf with earrings looks very pretty.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:47 pm
Smokey hill is totally fine, but btw, I’ve gone dressed down to the nicer places you’ve mentioned in a slinky skirt, no makeup, etc. but I think I’ve always worn a shaitel possibly minus one time.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:49 pm
Have you tried a hat fall? I find them super comfy and am too sensory for full wig (I only wear full for simcha). I remove all clips and just wear a loose hat fall with no hair on top and a hat which also keeps hair away from my face.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:50 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Have you tried a hat fall? I find them super comfy and am too sensory for full wig (I only wear full for simcha). I remove all clips and just wear a loose hat fall with no hair on top and a hat which also keeps hair away from my face.

Not yet I've been thinking about trying it

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 5:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Hugs.

Go.

If you're afraid of feeling funny when you make your reservation ask for a private table.

I wear a snood when I feel like. It's no one's business what I wear. I would put on a sheitel before going to a nicer restaurant, but if you can't, you can't.

You need to do what works for you.

And in any case... enjoy the food!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries