Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Household salary to comfortably live in LA?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 2:09 am
I know LA is expensive. DH and I both make good salaries, Trying to gauge how affordable LA would be. What combined salary range do you think is necessary to live comfortably in the Pico/Beverlywood area? For a family of 4

amother
Black

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 2:25 am
What is comfortable. Also Tuition is almost 15,000 and more with no discount

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 2:30 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
What is comfortable. Also Tuition is almost 15,000 and more with no discount

Comfortable meaning not stretched for cash

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 2:35 am
In Pico? The most expensive place per square foot from all the Jewish neighborhoods? $300,000 a year and up.

Ellie7

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:40 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
$300,000 a year and up.

No way. I’d say $500,000. At least.

SDmother

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 7:43 am
[quote="Ellie7"]No way. I’d say $500,000. At least.[/quot

This at minimum but I even think higher.

nicole81

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 7:55 am
Makes a difference if you will be owning a property, and within what size mortgage, vs if you will be renting.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 8:06 am
Depending on school tuition can be 40k per kid a year.
Mortgage with property tax can be 16k or more per month . (If you buy a 3 mil dollar house and put 500 k down that’s the approx mortgage.) a simple Beverlywood house is about 3 mil
Food, gas , utilities, lifestyle is very costly.
I think for a fam of 4 to live comfortably you need $600 k a year ,

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 8:14 am
In Pico? The most expensive place per square foot from all the Jewish neighborhoods? $300,000 a year and up.

You need $300k to live in NY.
LA is known to be way more expensive!

tichellady

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 9:11 am
Depends if you are buying a house or condo or renting

tichellady

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 9:12 am
Also depends what school you are sending your kids to

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 9:27 am
LA is a mix. Are you talking beverlywood or Pico Robertson? Big difference in housing prices. 4 kids- would you rent, buy a condo, or a home? And how big/nice? 3BR condos arent 3 million here.... and houses in Pico are less than Beverlywood.

Yavneh/YULA tuition or Toras Emes/BYLA tuition. Yes, BYLA isn't super cheap but less than YULA.

What kind of family are you? What kind of social pressure will you have? Certain schools/shuls have different expectations. Some are more "where are we going for Pesach" and of course it is a program and no one has ever done pesach at home prior to covid. Some stay home, dont do major chol hamoed trips, and keep it simple.
There are kollel types in Pico too.

Not everyone who lives in LA is super materialistic or rich. It really varies. We didnt even mention the valley or La Brea....

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 9:33 am
The most significant factor is cost of housing. If you already own a house and have equity which you will be using your mortgage costs will be lower than if you don't own a home and need to buy in the LA market - FWIW rentals in Los Angeles even in the less expensive areas are expensive.

Also significant would be the cost of tuition. How many children do you have?

You will also need two cars because you can not exist in Los Angeles without a car.

Add up what these would cost - other costs aren't higher especially when you factor in only needing one wardrobe - I.e. you don't need winter clothing.

FWIW I think produce is significantly cheaper than it is elsewhere which is a major part of my budget. Very Happy

tichellady

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 9:49 am
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
The most significant factor is cost of housing. If you already own a house and have equity which you will be using your mortgage costs will be lower than if you don't own a home and need to buy in the LA market - FWIW rentals in Los Angeles even in the less expensive areas are expensive.

Also significant would be the cost of tuition. How many children do you have?

You will also need two cars because you can not exist in Los Angeles without a car.

Add up what these would cost - other costs aren't higher especially when you factor in only needing one wardrobe - I.e. you don't need winter clothing.

FWIW I think produce is significantly cheaper than it is elsewhere which is a major part of my budget. Very Happy

I know families with one car in la.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 9:55 am
tichellady wrote:
I know families with one car in la.

It is quite difficult - if one spouse works they will generally need the car to get to work. How do you get kids to school or shop or do other normal activities. Public transportation in Los Angeles is not great unless you live within walking distance of one of the rail lines AND your job is within walking distance of one at the other end - and even then most people choose to use their cars to commute.

If you don't have access to a car it severely constrains your ability to perform normal activities.

I don't know anyone where both spouses don't have a car. I am assuming OP is asking what a typical expense in Los Angeles would be and two cars is a typical expense.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 10:10 am
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
It is quite difficult - if one spouse works they will generally need the car to get to work. How do you get kids to school or shop or do other normal activities. Public transportation in Los Angeles is not great unless you live within walking distance of one of the rail lines AND your job is within walking distance of one at the other end - and even then most people choose to use their cars to commute.

If you don't have access to a car it severely constrains your ability to perform normal activities.

I don't know anyone where both spouses don't have a car. I am assuming OP is asking what a typical expense in Los Angeles would be and two cars is a typical expense.

I agree it’s typical I’m just saying that it’s possible not to have two cars and I do know families with one car for whom it’s not an issue. If you live in pico Robertson and send your kids to Hillel you can easily walk to school. If you work from home as many people do now then having two cars isn’t imperative. There definitely is a culture of driving but one doesn’t need to get sucked into it. Pico Robertson is actually very walkable.

amother
Milk

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:33 am
tichellady wrote:
I agree it’s typical I’m just saying that it’s possible not to have two cars and I do know families with one car for whom it’s not an issue. If you live in pico Robertson and send your kids to Hillel you can easily walk to school. If you work from home as many people do now then having two cars isn’t imperative. There definitely is a culture of driving but one doesn’t need to get sucked into it. Pico Robertson is actually very walkable.

Yes, also in the La Brea/Beverly area there are many (kollel type) families that have only one car.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:48 am
I believe families are eligible to apply for financial aid if they make under $400k. I assume those families don’t get big breaks but may get some help from the school.. Many of my friends who don’t have huge salaries or family money live in condos or have bought houses that are a long long walk to the center of the community. Some send to public school ( but I don’t think that’s only about money as I do think financial aid can be generous).

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:57 am
Ellie7 wrote:
No way. I’d say $500,000. At least.

We survive fine on $300,000. And pay full tuition.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:58 am
We survive fine on $300,000. And pay full tuition.

Which area do you live in? Did you buy a place? How many kids?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating