Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
[PICTURE!] Bugs in Rice

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 6:29 pm
No, I don't usually check my rice for bugs. I don't know what I'd be looking for!

But today, I opened a 2lb bag of (Great Value brand) jasmine rice, and I saw that it was infested!

So in case you are like me and have no idea what you are searching for, here are actual photos of bugs in rice.

(There may be other bugs that show up in rice, if anyone has pictures of those I'd love to see!)

(If you'd like to see pictures of bugs in quinoa, here's the thread I made with those: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....54686

lotus2525

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 6:38 pm
Totally off topic but I was just eating a grapefruit and all of a sudden I see a white worm crawling around! Eeeewww!!!!

amother
Gold

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 7:02 pm
I found bugs in a bag of brown rice last week. Never happened to me before and I always check the rice eventhough I was told you do not have to check here in the states as oposed to israel.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 7:06 pm
I was never a big rice checker - figured if there was something to see, I'd see it easily. Then a few months ago I was soaking rice (not to check for bugs but because those were the directions for this rice) and hundreds of these tiny, delicate, barely visible wings floated up. I would never have seen this in the rice without soaking it first. I wasn't even sure what I was looking at at first. Now I'm pretty careful with checking.

eeeee

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 7:09 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I was never a big rice checker - figured if there was something to see, I'd see it easily. Then a few months ago I was soaking rice (not to check for bugs but because those were the directions for this rice) and hundreds of these tiny, delicate, barely visible wings floated up. I would never have seen this in the rice without soaking it first. I wasn't even sure what I was looking at at first. Now I'm pretty careful with checking.

And do you find anything from just checking without soaking?

ProudJew

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 7:16 pm
I also once had a bag of rice that was infested, way more than what you showed in the picture. Since then, I store my rice in the fridge. Bh never had bugs again.

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 8:07 pm
I had problems with rice twice (some time apart) with a specific frum company. I don’t buy their rice anymore b’n for this reason. Yes, I told the company.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 8:46 pm
There is also a bug in rice that is a white worm and looks like rice. Always check your rice and store in the fridge.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 9:33 pm
It would be much easier for me if I could *SEE* what these bugs look like!

If there's a brand known to be regularly infested I'd love to buy it just for educational reasons...

amother
Maize

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 9:55 pm
Ugh but I do appreciate the pictures.

I always check rice for bugs but I don't even know what I'm looking for. So I'm always wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

WitchKitty

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If there's a brand known to be regularly infested I'd love to buy it just for educational reasons...

Rav Vayes book has lots and lots of pictures.

Goldie613

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Apologies in advance for the grossness factor, but these links might be helpful to you =

https://www.star-k.org/images/.....e.pdf

https://oukosher.org/content/u.....b.pdf

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:44 am
Yes, that’s the type I have found in oatmeal and rice. Those are brown, I sometimes see black. I’m okay with those, it’s the webbing and worms from moths that really make me nauseous.

myname1

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 3:21 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Rav Vayes book has lots and lots of pictures.

Yes, I also find Rav Vaye's book Bedikas HaMazon extremely helpful. He has clear pictures of what you're looking for in different foods, as well as pictures of non-issues.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 4:38 am
To check rice put it in a pot/large bowl. Add salt (a couple of tablespoons). Add water and swish. The insects or infested rice will float straight to the top. If it's just a couple of grains that float up (and no insects) then it's fine. If it's a lot then you know it's infested.

A couple of points:
- keep all grains in your freezer
- if you do keep all grains in your freezer and it's infested then you know you bought it that way
- insects are nearly always at the bottom of the bag so if you only find toward the end of the bag it makes sense
- please check other grains like barely - I have found several times. If it's a small bag I just dump out the whole bag and then you are more likely to find

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:02 am
I only buy vacuume packed rice and beans for this reason.

aimhabanim

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 7:58 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I found bugs in a bag of brown rice last week. Never happened to me before and I always check the rice eventhough I was told you do not have to check here in the states as oposed to israel.

I was told by the star k that they now recommend checking brown rice
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen