Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School Left DD Outside in the Cold
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 4:43 pm
DD had a cold over the weekend but woke up much better today, so I put a mask on her and took her to school.

DD didn't have Covid or anything requiring a doctor, just a mild case of the sniffles.No fever, no cough, no sneezing.

School probes her why is she wearing a mask. School calls me and says DD said she is feeling super bad and wants to go home.

I get to the school to pick her up, she's outside in the cold weather. Hands freezing. For a very long time as I work out of town.

Honestly she might even be slightly worse now that she had to stay outside standing all that time in the cold.

She tells me she didn't need to go home but that the school didn't allow her to talk to me on the phone.

What would you do?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 4:46 pm
Here's what you learned: Mad

1) don't wear a mask to school
2)don't trust the school to give you an accurate message
3) asks to speak to your child when they call
4) they have very poor ideas of security

The thing that angers me most is 4, because that is actually dangerusr!! Was she supervised??

I definitely would complain, respectfully

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 4:47 pm
Horrible. I would contact the principal and complain asap. Do you have a masking rule? Because if you don't you are asking the school to treat her badly by putting a mask on her. No reason a kid needs to wear a mask because of some sniffles.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 4:52 pm
She had to stand outside, they didn't let her sit on the bench near the entrance:(
There is a security guard, but she was outside in the cold for an hour or more! Carrying all her backpack and school materials. It was horrible.
They keep changing their mask policy, I put one just in case .
But yeah, next time I will definitely ask to speak to her.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 4:55 pm
If you are thinking of sending her in a mask just keep her home instead. They will act like wearing one means you have the cooties and to such a degree that they force her out of the building. Protect your child first and foremost. No one needs to wear a mask for sniffles.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:01 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
If you are thinking of sending her in a mask just keep her home instead. They will act like wearing one means you have the cooties and to such a degree that they force her out of the building. Protect your child first and foremost. No one needs to wear a mask for sniffles.

I thought I was just being nice. In Asian culture this is fairly common, and nowadays in many circles as well.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:03 pm
I would be raising a ruckus. I worked in a school several years ago and there was an incident where a student was left outside unsupervised. The staff involved were written up and given warnings. That should happen here too.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:33 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:

They had other students wear masks, but only my dd was kicked out of the school building for it. I think they are targeting her... It's the end of the year but it makes me sad that she has to go and feel this type of hostility.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:33 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
I would be raising a ruckus. I worked in a school several years ago and there was an incident where a student was left outside unsupervised. The staff involved were written up and given warnings. That should happen here too.

Thanks for the chizuk, I will!

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:35 pm
Crazy!
How old is she and why would they be targeting her?! Horrible

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:36 pm
It is absolutely NOT ok for them to leave your DD outside in the cold. You are her voice. Speak up and raise h-ll for it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:41 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Crazy!
How old is she and why would they be targeting her?! Horrible

I have no idea why! She is good, quiet, my easiest child!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:42 pm
amother [ Lemonlime ] wrote:
It is absolutely NOT ok for them to leave your DD outside in the cold. You are her voice. Speak up and raise h-ll for it.

I will!!! Thanks!

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 6:26 pm
The school is 100% wrong for leaving her outside unsupervised.

Did you test her for COVID at all? You don’t mention

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 6:27 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
The school is 100% wrong for leaving her outside unsupervised.

Did you test her for COVID at all? You don’t mention

Yes I did mention in my first post she didn't have Covid. I tested and she was negative.

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 6:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes I did mention in my first post she didn't have Covid. I tested and she was negative.

In that case I wouldn’t have put a mask on her if I were you. Masks are a new innovation in these parts and the rules are about COVID

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 7:01 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
In that case I wouldn’t have put a mask on her if I were you. Masks are a new innovation in these parts and the rules are about COVID

Before March 2020 no one wore a mask. Either you were too sick to go to school, or you weren't. If it was just a cold, you went to school. And everyone was fine.

ETA That doesn't mean it's ok what the school did! Please call and speak to someone!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 7:50 pm
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
Before March 2020 no one wore a mask. Either you were too sick to go to school, or you weren't. If it was just a cold, you went to school. And everyone was fine.

ETA That doesn't mean it's ok what the school did! Please call and speak to someone!

Exactly, now if you have a cold they just kick you out! The worst part is singling her out. She tells me about other kids coughing or whatever no one does anything, when it's her they call me making up that she asked me to pick her up. Just awful..

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 8:03 pm
What the h***?!?

This cannot be let go without making sure the right ppl hear abt it!

Goldie613

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 1:07 am
What was their logic with leaving her outside???

If a kid had something contagious - strep, stomach bug, chicken pox, lice, you name it, they wouldn't have been put out of the building. They might have been kept in the school office, or the nurse's office to keep them away from the other kids, but that's it.

But this? This I don't get.

Add on the question someone else asked - how old is your child? It's bad if they left a 15 year old in the cold, it's neglectful (and dangerous, not to mention likely against the law) to leave a 5 year old by herself.

Definitely complain to the principal, and if that doesn't get you answers, keep kicking it up the line. Never mind how you/your child feel about it now, or the fact that it's the end of the year, or maybe you don't want to make waves. The fact is, if they did it now they can do it again, and you don't need that worry for her safety for however many years she has left in this school.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics