Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Catering from home

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 7:50 pm
I'm thinking of starting a business catering from home that people can order from me 9*13 pans of different foods for partys, vorts and other things. Would people order from me over ordering from a restaurant or takeout? And how much would be normal to charge for let's say a pan of sesame chicken?
Thank you

EPL

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:08 pm
People would order from you if you have a reputation as being a terrific cook. You should check what take out places charge for the same pan, and you can probably charge a bit more, since it's home made.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:10 pm
Do you need to get a hechsher? I admit that the only reason Id order from a restaurant over a home based business is for the hechsher.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm thinking of starting a business catering from home that people can order from me 9*13 pans of different foods for partys, vorts and other things. Would people order from me over ordering from a restaurant or takeout? And how much would be normal to charge for let's say a pan of sesame chicken?
Thank you

This probably depends on your community. Me and many, if not most, people I know would only buy from someone that has a hechsher.

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 9:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And how much would be normal to charge for let's say a pan of sesame chicken?

I charge $130

Keep 2 things in mind:

1. I’ve been doing this for a while and have built up my clientele that knows my standards.

2. Chicken prices are insane now.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 9:03 pm
A lot depends on what is acceptable in your community. The halacha is that one cannot buy prepared food without hashgacha, but I know that some communities aren't strict about observing this. In Israel, you cannot get a hashgacha for food cooked in a home kitchen.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 9:08 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
I charge $130

Keep 2 things in mind:

1. I’ve been doing this for a while and have built up my clientele that knows my standards.

2. Chicken prices are insane now.

Do you use dark or light chicken? What else do you put in there?
I'm not contesting your price. I made a beef fry chicken with mushrooms for my family and a 9X13 was over $50.

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 9:09 pm
Im sure people would buy for home parties, shabbos and dinner. For larger events especially in a shul etc it would need a hechsher which you can’t get on a home kitchen

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 9:32 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Do you use dark or light chicken? What else do you put in there?
I'm not contesting your price. I made a beef fry chicken with mushrooms for my family and a 9X13 was over $50.

Light.
I fry it and I don’t have commercial equipment so it takes a while….

People are willing to pay because it’s very fresh and homemade vs. overused old oil and commercial etc.

You can’t compare a homemade potato kugel or chocolate babka (2 items I’m famous for) to store bought.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers