Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
FACTS scholarship application and divorce/remarriage

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 12:07 am
Anyone know how it's supposed to work?

My divorce agreement says that XH and I split the total cost of tuition 50/50.

I put my info into the first page of the FACTS application. I am remarried so I put my marital status as married. Then it asks if there's a co-applicant, and yes is automatically selected because I'm married. That makes it sound like the co-applicant is automatically my husband. But my husband bears NO responsibility for educating the children I had before I got married, so why would he be the co-applicant?

So under co-applicant I put my ex's info.

But then in the student info it asks "Do you share tuition responsibility for this student with an individual not included on this application?" which sounds like THAT should be my ex.

So I'm totally confused now.

I'm wondering if the 50/50 means that we are each responsible for 50% of the total tuition fee, and each responsible separately for applying for financial aid for our half of the cost, which may result in us each paying a different amount at the end of the day?

I just assume my husband would find it uncomfortable to have to give all his information over to my kids school which his kids don't go to. He has zero financial responsibility to my kids and there is no reason he should so why do they need to know all his personal information when evaluating whether I can afford my kids tuition?

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 8:36 am
Why don’t reach out to FACTS support. I’m sure your not their first subscriber in this scenario.

cfriedman2

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 2:28 pm
my ex and I each have our own separate facts account set up with the percentage we have to pay.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics