Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What's with the milk prices???
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Are dairy prices rising where you live?
Yes - somewhat  
 30%  [ 30 ]
Yes - a lot  
 57%  [ 58 ]
No  
 12%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 100

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:15 am
In New York, no idea what the rest of the country/world is dealing with.

A few weeks ago, chalav stam at the cheapest local store by me was in the $4.49 - $4.79 range for a gallon (cheaper would require driving and I'd have to factor in gas prices), and chalav yisroel was running about $5 - $6 per gallon ($2.49 to $2.99 a half gallon).

Tonight I saw $3.49 for a half gallon in one store for chalav yisroel, figured it was just weirdness in that one store, but then I saw the same price in another local store! And the chalav stam was over $5 for a gallon !!!

We're not talking luxuries, we are talking MILK.

I know we're having an issue with egg prices because of chickens being infected with avian flu, but what's up with the milk? And if the milk is jumping, how long before other dairy food items go up as well?

Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head

rainbow dash

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:27 am
I'm in antwerp Belgium and everything has gone up. Flour is being rationed. Only 1 or 2 kgs per person and its goes quickly.
The reason, the war in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:52 am
rainbow dash wrote:
I'm in antwerp Belgium and everything has gone up. Flour is being rationed. Only 1 or 2 kgs per person and its goes quickly.
The reason, the war in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Who controls the ratios on flour? The stories or the government?

rainbow dash

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 3:06 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

Stores. Simply cause there isn't enough to go around

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 3:17 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

Okay miss Chickensoupprof explain it to you.
This concerns export and import within Europe. And yes, even in the Netherlands where I live you can't always buy sunflower oil anymore and flour is sometimes difficult to obtain.

Because Western Europe cannot feed nearly all its inhabitants with the grain they grow, grain (and also sunflower oil) must be imported. This is also partly because both Belgium and the Netherlands also have a lot of intensive livestock farming that also grows on grain products, plus we export many of these products. Okay? Well, where do countries like the Netherlands and Belgium get their grain from? Russia and Ukraine. Because there it can be grown very cheaply and turned into flour and we can import it very cheaply so that we can fill our hungry obese bellies.

Well what happened? Russia has invaded Ukraine, European countries, especially the European Union, want nothing to do with Russia anymore and want to punish Russia by not driving out trade, but then Ukraine is flat and it is difficult to take your truck to a war zone to pick up flour. As a result, there is a shortage of certain raw materials such as vegetable oil and flour. Most Americans think that countries like the Netherlands and Belgium are nothing more than a disguised North Korea, but good shops now just have a note with 'a packet of flour per person' or 'a bottle of sunflower oil per person'. Here in the Netherlands, the shops do it so that everyone can grab flour and no greedy hysterical yentas rob the entire supermarket.

bsy

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 4:40 am
Eggs were 3.89!!!!!!

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 6:46 am
They say cheese, milk, butter all increasing

Shortage of cows
Feed costs more
Labor costs more.

It’s scary.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 6:51 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
This concerns export and import within Europe. And yes, even in the Netherlands where I live you can't always buy sunflower oil anymore and flour is sometimes difficult to obtain.

Because Western Europe cannot feed nearly all its inhabitants with the grain they grow, grain (and also sunflower oil) must be imported. This is also partly because both Belgium and the Netherlands also have a lot of intensive livestock farming that also grows on grain products, plus we export many of these products. Okay? Well, where do countries like the Netherlands and Belgium get their grain from? Russia and Ukraine. Because there it can be grown very cheaply and turned into flour and we can import it very cheaply so that we can fill our hungry obese bellies.

Well what happened? Russia has invaded Ukraine, European countries, especially the European Union, want nothing to do with Russia anymore and want to punish Russia by not driving out trade, but then Ukraine is flat and it is difficult to take your truck to a war zone to pick up flour. As a result, there is a shortage of certain raw materials such as vegetable oil and flour. Most Americans think that countries like the Netherlands and Belgium are nothing more than a disguised North Korea, but good shops now just have a note with 'a packet of flour per person' or 'a bottle of sunflower oil per person'. Here in the Netherlands, the shops do it so that everyone can grab flour and no greedy hysterical yentas rob the entire supermarket.

Best. Explanation. Ever.
Literally laughing out loud at that last line

alef12

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 7:47 am
Animal feed costs have gone up significantly. Also transportation (for feed, and the food products themselves), the cost of the bottles have gone up, the covers for the bottles, and the labels on the bottles.
All that causes the final product, in this case milk to rise. It's called inflation.

In my bakery everything from my flour costs to my labels and bags, even the little piece of tape I use to close my bags. EVERYTHING has gone up approximately 30%-50%. I had to raise my price slightly but honestly it still doesn't cover the increased cost.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 7:48 am
Milk prices went up all over. The plastic bottles are costing them more and gas priced went up significantly.

shoshanim999

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 7:57 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:

The trajectory of inflation was going higher BEFORE the Russia/Ukraine war.

I'm not saying that the war didn't exasperate the situation. It did. But for example within the US there was an approximate 20% increase in the money supply from the previous year. The basic rules of supply and demand tell us that when demand increases (more money in the system) prices go up.

This is why the federal reserve bank is trying to raise interest rates now. Raising interest rates means people won't borrow money to buy houses, furniture, appliances, renovations, vacations, or other things people do when they have access to "cheap" (low interest rates) money. Essentially the fed is trying to reverse the damage done when the money supply increased by making money less accessible. When interest rates are higher, people are less likely to borrow and spend.

shoshanim999

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 8:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In New York, no idea what the rest of the country/world is dealing with.

A few weeks ago, chalav stam at the cheapest local store by me was in the $4.49 - $4.79 range for a gallon (cheaper would require driving and I'd have to factor in gas prices), and chalav yisroel was running about $5 - $6 per gallon ($2.49 to $2.99 a half gallon).

Tonight I saw $3.49 for a half gallon in one store for chalav yisroel, figured it was just weirdness in that one store, but then I saw the same price in another local store! And the chalav stam was over $5 for a gallon !!!

We're not talking luxuries, we are talking MILK.

I know we're having an issue with egg prices because of chickens being infected with avian flu, but what's up with the milk? And if the milk is jumping, how long before other dairy food items go up as well?

Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head

Op, there's no reason why non luxury items shouldn't be subject to inflation.

In fact, an argument can be made that they are even MORE likely to be impacted by inflation. With non essential items like say travel/vacations, it's reasonable to say that if prices go higher people will take less vacations. This means less demand, which will bring down the price.

With essential items like milk, people don't really buy less milk because the price went up $1. If people continue buying it at the higher price that means demand stays the same and there's no reason for the price to come down.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 8:07 am
The price of everything went up. And not to get political, but we can thank the administration in charge. It's scary because they have no answers and say prices will probably continue to rise.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 8:12 am
This is all so scary.
Stupid question but do the prices go down eventually?

(I don’t know how inflation works don’t come at me)

isrmss91

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 8:23 am
Always LOL wrote:
This is all so scary.
Stupid question but do the prices go down eventually?

(I don’t know how inflation works don’t come at me)

Prices will only be going higher.
Transportation costs are increasing for truckers, which will of course they will add to all the products they deliver. We will be paying much more for everything. Thehigher prices & shortages are getting scary.

Last edited by isrmss91 on Wed, May 11 2022, 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 8:40 am
I haven’t noticed milk prices in Baltimore. We are still getting good boxes up to 3 pickups a week and milk is coming out of our ears. We get golden flow and pride of the farm. I think each child can get a gallon per pickup per week (comes out to 3 gallons for every child 18 and under) but I’ve heard that people can just go and get milk. And people can still get wic and food stamps on top of that. I wonder what will happen when the food boxes stop. I think we’re all going to be in shock.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 8:44 am
Yup.
The man at the store told us 2 weeks ago.
“Enjoy your cheap milk, its going up a dollar a bottle”

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 8:49 am
scary
the only bright spot is that chazal say before Moshiach comes there will be unprecedented inflation

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 8:58 am
Except inflation started way BEFORE the conflict in Ukraine. Home goods, cotton etc went up 20-30% end of last year. It's pure politics to blame me it in Ukraine. Europe may be directly affected now but no excuses for the US.

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 9:01 am
And to think how 2 years ago people in NY/NJ, wherever there were food pickups during COVID, were throwing milk down the drain by the gallons because they didn't stop giving.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics