Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Cricut question

ruby slippers

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 10:45 pm
Thinking of purchasing a cricut... I was watching some videos and I understand how you can transfer the vinyl to projects, but can you do the same thing with heavy paper. Meaning can you stick it to the transfer paper and then put the glue on the item you want the words to stick to and then transfer...

Optione

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 10:47 pm
The pieces of paper are cut individually, unlike the vinyl which has a backing, so it wouldn't work.

ruby slippers

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 10:50 pm
Optione wrote:
The pieces of paper are cut individually, unlike the vinyl which has a backing, so it wouldn't work.

Thanks!!!

amother
Almond

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:03 pm
When searching online for cricut maker....make sure it's a reliable store. I just tried purchasing one that came up in Google shopping. Was a great price but a scam. They never sent me any email about my order....then I got weird credit card purchases on my credit card. The CC company called us suspecting fraud. Had to get a new credit card. I should've know that the price was too good to be true. Strangely on Google shopping it says "trusted store" . From searching about it online it seems like so many were scammed by a bunch of stores making believe they sell cricut machines.

mpk

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:33 pm
For cardstock you would weed it on the mat and then use transfer tape (it comes in a roll and in different levels of stickiness). You can also buy rolls or sheets of vinyl stickers in both permanent and removable adhesive.

ruby slippers

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:23 am
mpk wrote:
For cardstock you would weed it on the mat and then use transfer tape (it comes in a roll and in different levels of stickiness). You can also buy rolls or sheets of vinyl stickers in both permanent and removable adhesive.

I am confused, poster above said it can't be done, but it sounds like you are saying yes...

What I want to do is use the cricut for a a quote and put it on canvas. I was told since canvas has little ridges the vinyl won't look smooth. But I know my skill set is not being to glue letters on straight piece by piece, hence the idea for cricut... So is it possible to do as one piece transfer...

amother
Navy

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:35 am
eema1 wrote:
I am confused, poster above said it can't be done, but it sounds like you are saying yes...

What I want to do is use the cricut for a a quote and put it on canvas. I was told since canvas has little ridges the vinyl won't look smooth. But I know my skill set is not being to glue letters on straight piece by piece, hence the idea for cricut... So is it possible to do as one piece transfer...

No not possible. Vinyl comes with a sticky backing that cardstock doesn't have. You can use the machine to cut out whatever shape/letters you want but it won't stick onto any project alone. You would need glue...

Siriusly?

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:50 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
No not possible. Vinyl comes with a sticky backing that cardstock doesn't have. You can use the machine to cut out whatever shape/letters you want but it won't stick onto any project alone. You would need glue...

That's not such a problem, you could glue the backs when it's on the transfer tape, or buy cricut's sticker cardstock.

A bigger problem is that there's not really a good way to use transfer tape with cardstock. You'd need a very light tack transfer tape so as not to tear the cardstock when removing, but you'd need a stronger tack to lift it off the mat.... so not sure it would work. Never tried though.

A different option that works well for canvases is to use removable vinyl as a stencil and paint your design on.

ruby slippers

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:47 am
Thanks... Just making sure it is worth the investment , and it can do what I need it for
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics