Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Soft and moist chicken on bone
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:11 am
What's the trick to make chicken on the bone soft, juicy and moist?

I bake at 350 for an hour covered and 30 mins uncovered but never get it right.

Any tips and tricks?

amf

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:13 am
400 covered for 50-60 min
Uncovering dries it out, overcooking dries it out

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:14 am
On Pesach I had my oven on on low, and I stuck a pan of chicken into the oven the morning of the 2nd day so kids would have supper later on. It cooked on 215 for several hours (covered). Took it out supper time and it was super-soft and moist. Every drop was eaten.

So low and slow really works. Like crockpot chicken.

I usually bake chicken at 350 for about an hour and 3/4. Uncovered. And it's pretty good. I think an hour and a half is not long enough.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:16 am
Chayalle wrote:
On Pesach I had my oven on on low, and I stuck a pan of chicken into the oven the morning of the 2nd day so kids would have supper later on. It cooked on 215 for several hours (covered). Took it out supper time and it was super-soft and moist. Every drop was eaten.

So low and slow really works. Like crockpot chicken.

I usually bake chicken at 350 for about an hour and 3/4. Uncovered. And it's pretty good. I think an hour and a half is not long enough.

215 you would say for how long?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:17 am
amf wrote:
400 covered for 50-60 min
Uncovering dries it out, overcooking dries it out

Awesome, maybe I will try that.

It's funny since a well-known recipe blogger recommended the timing that I currently use

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
215 you would say for how long?

I probably had it in there for 5 hours at least

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:18 am
I do covered 400 for 1.5 hours. On the bone is better when cooked longer and at a higher temperature

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Awesome, maybe I will try that.

It's funny since a well-known recipe blogger recommended the timing that I currently use

It's a funny thing but particularly with chicken on the bone, I often see recipes with bake time being too short.

Just one thing - when I bake chicken for 1 3/4 hours, I'm talking about leg (thigh/drumstick). If I would bake white meat - like chicken breast on the bone - I'd do it for a little less. I find chicken breast needs less bake time, dries out faster.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:28 am
Ok, this is by far the best and juiciest way for chicken on the bone in my house.
Layer onions, minute steak, and chicken on the bone, spice with basic spices. Cover well and bake on 300 for 5 hours or so.
The beef flavors the chicken, and the chicken moistens the beef. Delicious!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:36 am
Oh wow, never heard before to bake longer than 1.5, hours so this is good to know.

Thank you!

Will try to update you all how it goes

jewishmom6

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:41 am
I would do it 300/350 for 2 hrs cov and 1/2 hour uncov

mastermom

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:55 am
How many pieces to do put in the pan at once?
I find the more chicken bottoms you put in the pan, the juicier and softer it is. If you put only 2 or 3 in a 9x13 pan it's usually not as soft as a packed pan of the same exact recipe.
I usually do covered at 375 for 3 hours.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 12:06 pm
I bake chicken on the bone for minimum 3 hours on 350 covered.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 12:09 pm
There is so much confusion about what exactly chicken on the bone is so could you be specific?

If you mean BREAST on the bone you are cooking them for far too long so no wonder they are dry. Even if you cooked them in a sauce you are still overcooking the meat.

Invest in a good meat thermometer which does instant reads and cook to a temperature of 375. In my experience this generally takes about 45 minutes maximum for BONE IN BREASTS and the breast meat is still juicy and not overcooked and dry.

There are different variations of oven temperatures and adjusted cooking lengths but this is pretty much standard. I have never heard of someone roasting poultry for that period of time unless it is a relatively large whole bird and even then you need to check the internal temperature and perhaps adjust by placing foil on the breasts since they cook faster than the legs especially in a large bird.

dak11

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 12:09 pm
This recipe makes the chicken soft and moist.

https://betweencarpools.com/mo.....-day/

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 12:58 pm
I bake chicken covered on 350 for at least 2 hours, usually more.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 12:58 pm
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
I bake chicken on the bone for minimum 3 hours on 350 covered.

This ^^ yum

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:01 pm
Amarante wrote:
There is so much confusion about what exactly chicken on the bone is so could you be specific?

If you mean BREAST on the bone you are cooking them for far too long so no wonder they are dry. Even if you cooked them in a sauce you are still overcooking the meat.

Invest in a good meat thermometer which does instant reads and cook to a temperature of 375. In my experience this generally takes about 45 minutes maximum for BONE IN BREASTS and the breast meat is still juicy and not overcooked and dry.

There are different variations of oven temperatures and adjusted cooking lengths but this is pretty much standard. I have never heard of someone roasting poultry for that period of time unless it is a relatively large whole bird and even then you need to check the internal temperature and perhaps adjust by placing foil on the breasts since they cook faster than the legs especially in a large bird.

I think she means chicken leg quarters (leg & thigh) which many people call chicken bottoms.
I've never seen chicken breast being sold on the bone.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:03 pm
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
I do covered 400 for 1.5 hours. On the bone is better when cooked longer and at a higher temperature

Only if it’s dark meat. A whole chicken or white meat would dry out if cooked that way

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:05 pm
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
I think she means chicken leg quarters (leg & thigh) which many people call chicken bottoms.
I've never seen chicken breast being sold on the bone.

You’ve never seen bone in chicken breasts? I see and buy them in all
The regular kosher supermarkets in Brooklyn (bingo, kmr, gourmet glatt, paperific etc )
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics