Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Do you take the skin off chicken before baking?
1  2  Next

Do you take the skin off chicken?
Yes, I remove the skin before baking  
 23%  [ 48 ]
I bake it with the skin but remove it before serving/eating  
 16%  [ 34 ]
I serve it with the skin  
 59%  [ 121 ]
Total Votes : 203

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:32 pm
So my mother always removed the skin of the chicken before baking, and I have always done the same. Wondering if this is atypical to do?

If I am served chicken with skin, I don't eat the skin. Do most people?

If I cook a meal for a family and send chicken, should I send skin on or off?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:33 pm
Definitely leave skin on. Let people make their own decision as to how to eat their chicken

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:34 pm
I bake with the skin, it adds so much flavor. We don't eat the skin though, that's not healthy.
If you send a meal to someone, don't remove the skin.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Thu, May 12 2022, 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:35 pm
It’s better with skin on for cooking. We serve with and everyone removes on their own

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:35 pm
I cook with the skin in an open dish, so the skin gets almost barbequed. We love it almost charred. And then when we eat the chicken some take off the skin and others like the skin.
And our dog loves the bones Smile

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:36 pm
When I make chicken for me and my husband, I often sort of lift the skin and peel it back so that it's still on there but whatever I'm adding to the chicken can touch the meat directly. Does that make sense?

I don't eat the skin if it's soft but if it was cooked nice and crispy then yes I will. I don't know about 'most people.' I don't think I am usually served chicken with skin--but maybe I'm making that up.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:36 pm
Two questions:

1. If you flavor it and bake it with skin on and people choose to remove the skin before eating, doesn't that take away all the flavor that was on top of the skin? Seasoning, etc.

2. If I bake with skin on, any prep needed to clean the skin??

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:38 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
When I make chicken for me and my husband, I often sort of lift the skin and peel it back so that it's still on there but whatever I'm adding to the chicken can touch the meat directly. Does that make sense?

I don't eat the skin if it's soft but if it was cooked nice and crispy then yes I will. I don't know about 'most people.' I don't think I am usually served chicken with skin--but maybe I'm making that up.

I see we posted at the same time, that answered one of my q's about the flavoring. Thanks!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Two questions:

1. If you flavor it and bake it with skin on and people choose to remove the skin before eating, doesn't that take away all the flavor that was on top of the skin? Seasoning, etc.

2. If I bake with skin on, any prep needed to clean the skin??

1. The entire chicken is spiced or sauced so taking off the skin does not take away the flavor at all.
2. I always just rinse the chicken, skin or no skin.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:41 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
1. The entire chicken is spiced or sauced so taking off the skin does not take away the flavor at all.

Thanks. Do I need to pluck feathers??

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I mean, I havent seen any feathers in my chickens in YEARS to even know how to answer, but I would assume people eating the chicken would prefer not to see feathers in their meal Smile

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:46 pm
I take off the skin and put on a sauce and corn flake crumbs. It's crunchy and delicious.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:48 pm
What about a recipe where chicken is coated in flour and then a sauce? Coat skin with flour?

tweety1

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:49 pm
My butcher sells super clean chickens. I don't even always like it because they take off every tiny bit if fat too.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:56 pm
I also pull back the skin, season really well under skin and on bottom of chicken. Then pull the skin back on top to bake.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
What about a recipe where chicken is coated in flour and then a sauce? Coat skin with flour?

When I make a coated chicken recipe, I remove the skin and the coating acts as the skin when baking.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 3:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If you are shechting in your back yard you'll have lots of feathers to be torn off Smile
On a more serious note: if there's a small remaining piece of feathers root and it am lazy then I don't remove. If it's chicken soup and it am not serving the chicken I would not bother.
For guests and your MIL it's recommended you do remove.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 3:51 pm
I don't remove skin except when I debone chicken breast and turning it into schnitzel or stir fry.
I save the skin and gently fry it together with the onions for chulent.

egam

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 4:49 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

You should never rinse chicken to avoid cross contamination. Instead you should cook it to proper temperature to kill bacteria.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 5:21 pm
egam wrote:
You should never rinse chicken to avoid cross contamination. Instead you should cook it to proper temperature to kill bacteria.

I also always rinse my chicken, and then I wash anything that came in contact with it with soap. No biggie.

abaker

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:26 pm
I bake it with skin on and serve it with skin on but take the skin off of my own portion when I'm cutting it up on my plate.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics