Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Why am I grossed out from healthy food?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:33 pm
I feel like I'm crazy.

I don't eat healthy food. I am nauseous of the thought. I was never the best protein eater, but it's been getting worse over the years. I used to have my few protein food that I liked. Scrambled eggs, chicken cutlets, egg salad, tuna salad (basically that lol.)

Then came pregnancy nausea, I felt better after baby, but sometimes grossed out by food. Then covid where everything tasted HORRIBLE for me. I couldn't drink coffee of eat eggs. Gross. Then I just lost my smell and in middle of eating I can get a whiff of the taste.... This also makes it hard for me to eat because if I can't taste it then maybe it's spoiled... or not good.

Basically at this point I'm a basket case. I drink coffee and eat cake and cookies. When I want to diet I starve. My husband called me from chinese takeout where I used to love their food to ask what he can get me. I was starved, but the thought of seseme chicken or other food that I used to love made me so nauseous. If I do eat chicken, I take it apart like a crazy person to make sure it's cooked through... I make healthy food for my family and I eat junk. It's especially important for me to eat healthy because I have pcos and carbs are the worst for me.

Is this a physical illness. Is there a therapist that can help me with this?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:44 pm
Similar situation here.
Don’t go for any protein and would eat starch all day if I could.
In my case it started in pregnancy and stayed for years after.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:44 pm
No answers, but I feel for you.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:50 pm
What about vegan protein?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:54 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
What about vegan protein?

Thanks. It's not only protein. I used to love salads. Now I sometimes eat it, but only if all the veggies are super fresh.

I don't like the texture of cooked vegetables.

I feel like such a baby...

chanatron1000

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:58 pm
A nutritional psychologist or a therapist who specializes in eating disorders might be able to help. It's not uncommon to develop aversions to foods from sickness, change in sense of smell or taste, etc., but this sounds like a particularly severe case.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:59 pm
Poor gut health, insufficient digestive enzymes, low stomach acid will make proteins and fats seem nauseating. Low mineral status like zinc and magnesium play into this as well.

Also some of us get addicted to processed foods because they give us an actual drug-like fix, and then what happens is that other foods that don’t give us this fix seem blah, uninteresting and unappetizing. So we restrict ourselves to the processed foods. This happens on a very subliminal level.

Sometimes food restrictions are rooted in ocd as well.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:05 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
A nutritional psychologist or a therapist who specializes in eating disorders might be able to help. It's not uncommon to develop aversions to foods from sickness, change in sense of smell or taste, etc., but this sounds like a particularly severe case.

thanks! I almost don't want to go for help because I so badly don't want to eat it. You think I should call relief for a recommendation?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:07 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Poor gut health, insufficient digestive enzymes, low stomach acid will make proteins and fats seem nauseating. Low mineral status like zinc and magnesium play into this as well.

Also some of us get addicted to processed foods because they give us an actual drug-like fix, and then what happens is that other foods that don’t give us this fix seem blah, uninteresting and unappetizing. So we restrict ourselves to the processed foods. This happens on a very subliminal level.

Sometimes food restrictions are rooted in ocd as well.

I identify with the addicted to processed food. I have adhd so preparing food for myself is not my strong point. I do for my family because I know I need to. For myself I just grab some cookies, cereal... So definitely might be coming from this.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:09 pm
There was a thread about chicken on the bone this week. I didn't want to open it because it triggered me.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks! I almost don't want to go for help because I so badly don't want to eat it. You think I should call relief for a recommendation?

Yes, they are likely to have a good recommendation.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:36 pm
I second a mental health approach. Honestly this sounds like trauma/phobia based on everything you experienced. It sounds really rough! Hatzlacha!

amother
Melon

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:50 pm
Hi op!

I literally was thinking exactly word for word what you you wrote. Same with the no appetite for healthy food and salad when I used to love the same foods as u. And in regards to the chicken thread I opened it bc I tried to release my fear and then got nauseous and closed it 😆

I hope we can get some kind of positive answer!!

Oh yeah. And I crave carbs all day …

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:53 pm
Thanks loads for all replies of sympathy and suggestions!

Any other ideas besides for therapy? I'm so not in the mood. I'm dealing with plenty of stuff that are finally getting taken care of. I'm doing IF treatments and other things... Don't have the energy to focus on this and fix it. But I really can't ignore it anymore. I'm afraid that I am messing up my body.

Maybe I can take vitamin supplements (also a adhd struggle, but can try) to get nutrition?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:55 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
Hi op!

I literally was thinking exactly word for word what you you wrote. Same with the no appetite for healthy food and salad when I used to love the same foods as u. And in regards to the chicken thread I opened it bc I tried to release my fear and then got nauseous and closed it 😆

I hope we can get some kind of positive answer!!

Oh yeah. And I crave carbs all day …

Wow! I'm not the only one?
My kids are like when will you eat supper? I'm like, later with ta. And then my husband thinks I ate with the kids...

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:57 pm
I'm in the same situation. I never liked chicken/meat but now I really can't eat it. I've been trying to make my unhealthy eating habits a bit healthier....drinking smoothies, instead of eating plain bread making an egg with it, whole wheat pasta instead of reg, adding some roasted veggies to pizza and pasta etc...I started making salads for lunch which I previously couldn't eat and adding only the veggies that I know I like so I will eat it. It's really hard because I know I'm eating bad but I just can't bring myself to eat healthy food.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 10:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks loads for all replies of sympathy and suggestions!

Any other ideas besides for therapy? I'm so not in the mood. I'm dealing with plenty of stuff that are finally getting taken care of. I'm doing IF treatments and other things... Don't have the energy to focus on this and fix it. But I really can't ignore it anymore. I'm afraid that I am messing up my body.

Maybe I can take vitamin supplements (also a adhd struggle, but can try) to get nutrition?

IF treatments can cause you to feel pregnancy symptoms. I would definitely try therapy, especially about the part where you take apart chicken to see if it's cooked, it sounds like anxiety/ocd type behavior.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 10:55 pm
So eat fruits, veggies and healthy grains

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:07 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
IF treatments can cause you to feel pregnancy symptoms. I would definitely try therapy, especially about the part where you take apart chicken to see if it's cooked, it sounds like anxiety/ocd type behavior.

So even before I was terrible with this. But now I take metformin and also adderal so for sure it's worse.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:10 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
So eat fruits, veggies and healthy grains

You are right! My bigger issue is probably working on it and preparing food for myself that is healthy. Like cutting up fruits for snack. I only like fruits and veggies very fresh. I know I sound nuts, but the reality is that when the lettuce loses its crisp I gag on it... So I really need to be on top of making few little grocery shopping every week and make a big effort to prep healthy food for myself. My laziness and adhd might play a bigger role than my feeling towards protein.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise