Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Touring Israel with little kids
Previous  1  2

LovesHashem

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 11:51 am
Sesame wrote:
I dunno about parks, but the zoo definitely was when I went. All the grass was cordoned off with a sign to please remember hilchos shmittah. Seems strict enough. No idea what fruit/veg they feed the animals, but I don’t know if animals owned by Jews are required to keep shmittah

I was thinking more along the lines of watering and up keeping of all the plants, grass, bushes, flowers, etc.

Just saying it's something to look into.

blessedmother2

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 11:54 am
We traveled to Israel a couple months ago with 3 kids under 5 and we didn't do much traveling (but we also had a lot of family to see). The local park and riding the bus is my kids LOVED lol We went to the Old City and walked to the Kosel and one day went to the aquarium which was nice! Also, took a week for us all to totally get over being jetlagged. Fortunately we were there for a month. Hatzlacha!

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 12:16 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I would say it's best to call and clarify...

Re shmitah, also ask your rav what is required of you in this case. Clearly, you can't eat what you don't hold by. But whether you can visit a location like a park that isn't keeping it is a question to ask.

In general, definitely find out what you hold by for eating. And with little kids, I would get guidelines for b'dieved in case you can't get the only thing one will eat in what you generally hold by. Many people have a strictness to do something the best way, but also have an option that halachicly is ok if needed.

Rappel

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:13 pm
If you intend to eat an ibex at the zoo, then I think you're okay shemittah-wise, though the zoo may object Smile

In all seriousness though: I've been learning the laws of shemittah this year, and the things one is or isn't allowed to do in the garden are both very nuanced, and much more varied than what you would think. I am not yet learned enough to apply halacha in my own garden, but it is perfectly possible to garden and maintain plants during shemittah, if done the right way.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics