Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby not sleeping well anymore

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 7:32 am
My baby is 7 months and I sleep trained him a couple of months ago using a sort of modified Ferber method. It worked, but it took longer than it should have because we ended up going away a couple of times (for Pesach and such - it was unavoidable). But at the end of it I think he was pretty well trained, and he would go right to sleep after fussing for a couple of minutes in the crib.
But then he started waking up at night more, and I would feed him if I thought he was hungry, like if it was after 12:00 I thought he might be hungry but if not I would try to get him to go back to sleep without eating. Then that was working for a time, and then he started waking up twice at night, like at 10:00 and then again at 4:00. So my question, first of all, how do I get him to stop waking up and sleep through the night again? Also, and here's the bigger issue, within the past week or maybe two, he's been fussing / crying a lot more when I put him in the crib and it's taking him a lot longer to fall asleep, so then I end up going in and out of his room a few times and patting his back and singing to him to get him to calm down and fall asleep. I can't figure out what's changed recently so I don't know what to fix. Does anyone have any ideas?

Yes I have posted about this in the past, and no I am still not looking for irrelevant unhelpful responses. I am simply looking for an answer to my question.
Thank you all in advance!

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 7:53 am
Could he be going through a growth spurt?
My baby starts waking to eat more non stop and is generally fussy/cranky for a few weeks and then goes back to his happy well sleeping self. Its hard but it does pass.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:01 am
I suppose anything's possible. Guess it makes sense - he started solids recently but lately he's bee making a grab for anything that looks remotely like food, and he's wolfing down anything I give him. So I guess that could be.
It's helpful to know it may just pass... thanks!

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:02 am
Teething. Try giving Motrin before bed and see. If it prevents him from waking you know that’s what it is

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 9:36 am
Sounds like a drop in sleep needs. What's his schedule? Is he on 3 naps? If so he probably needs to move to 2.

cookiewriter

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 10:33 am
I swear by the book
Healthy sleep habits happy child
By dr weissbluth

I just had my 6th and I bought my third copy on Amazon. I keep giving them to people so I have to buy more.

tichellady

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 1:01 pm
This is normal and hard! Babies go through many sleep regression

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 1:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby is 7 months and I sleep trained him a couple of months ago using a sort of modified Ferber method. It worked, but it took longer than it should have because we ended up going away a couple of times (for Pesach and such - it was unavoidable). But at the end of it I think he was pretty well trained, and he would go right to sleep after fussing for a couple of minutes in the crib.
But then he started waking up at night more, and I would feed him if I thought he was hungry, like if it was after 12:00 I thought he might be hungry but if not I would try to get him to go back to sleep without eating. Then that was working for a time, and then he started waking up twice at night, like at 10:00 and then again at 4:00. So my question, first of all, how do I get him to stop waking up and sleep through the night again? Also, and here's the bigger issue, within the past week or maybe two, he's been fussing / crying a lot more when I put him in the crib and it's taking him a lot longer to fall asleep, so then I end up going in and out of his room a few times and patting his back and singing to him to get him to calm down and fall asleep. I can't figure out what's changed recently so I don't know what to fix. Does anyone have any ideas?

Yes I have posted about this in the past, and no I am still not looking for irrelevant unhelpful responses. I am simply looking for an answer to my question.
Thank you all in advance!

It’s prob a 8 month regression! Sleep training is not foul proof when they have sleep regressions

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 12:03 am
OP here-
Thanks everyone, this all makes sense and I guess it could be any of the above, but right now my question is what do I do??? He keeps waking up and I don't know if I should feed him or just pat him and sing to him or ignore him for a bit, because I've tried a combination of all of those and he just isn't going back to sleep. Over the past week it's gotten so much worse, on three separate occasions he woke up and stayed up for 2 hours and just wouldn't go back to sleep.
So, wise women, in the moment, when he wakes up, what is the wisest course of action?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics