Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What's your phobia?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Zehava

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 2:53 pm
I’m afraid of everything everyone mentioned here except dogs. Love dogs. Never thought of myself as such a scared person I guess it’s just an automatic part of my thought process. I can even add some more let’s see:
Car crash
My kids being molested
Getting sick and being physically helpless
Stillborn
Dentists
Hospitals
And more

kenz

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 2:56 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
Mechanical rooms in a house. They are so spooky. Anyone else?

What does this mean?

Rubies

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 2:57 pm
There's a difference between fear and phobia.

I'm afraid of fire but I don't have a phobia.
I think a phobia is an irrational fear, like the claustrophobic poster at the dentist.

I've found that I've developed some phobias with age and I wonder if some traumatic memories is really at the source of phobias.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 2:57 pm
kenz wrote:
What does this mean?

Boiler room, ac units etc

kenz

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 3:01 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
Boiler room, ac units etc

Ah, ok, thanks
I was imagining a room with mechanical arms and legs a la Inspector Gadget😆

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 3:03 pm
Rubies wrote:

I think a phobia is an irrational fear, like the claustrophobic poster at the dentist.

I've found that I've developed some phobias with age and I wonder if some traumatic memories is really at the source of phobias.

I can pinpoint traumatic events that led to most of my phobias. I don't think we are born with phobias.

kenz

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 3:03 pm
Rubies wrote:

This. Lots of us are afraid of lots of things, it doesn’t mean it’s a full-blown phobia. But rodents now… shudder

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 3:08 pm
kenz wrote:
This. Lots of us are afraid of lots of things, it doesn’t mean it’s a full-blown phobia. But rodents now… shudder

Mice are so cute! Very Happy

amother
Sand

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 3:09 pm
Milchemes gog umagog

Bees/wasps

Dog unleashed

kenz

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 3:43 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:

Aaaah, you said the word!!! 😳😳😳

NewYorkgal31

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 4:02 pm
Driving in the highway and tunnels. I can drive everywhere else.

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 4:35 pm
Driving

It's actually an irrational fear that causes me not to be able to drive (probably because I live in NY).

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:10 pm
buses. they are terrifying. my breath catches if im even near one. I have never met anyone that shared this fear.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:18 pm
Not a phobia but I also used to like to have about two dozen boxes of tissues in stock. With no kids at home I now consider 6-8 boxes quite enough and have even gone as low as 4 without hyperventilating. JK about hyperventilating but we use tissues in lieu of TP on shabbes so it's more of an issue than just colds and allergies. I know in a pinch we could cut TP but who wants to?

ching chong

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:18 pm
Taking out the garbage after it’s dark. It’s a real phobia and I will never do it no matter what!
I’m scared someone will attack me while I’m lifting the cover of the garbage can!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:23 pm
Rubies wrote:

And some of these fears and phobias are actually learned behavior. For example, I think dogs are really cute and would love to have one but I grew up in a community where we are taught to fear dogs so I am afraid of them and will probably never get one and still walk away from them when I see them coming down the street.
I wonder how many other people believe they have phobias but were really taught (consciously or subconsciously) to fear the things they are afraid of.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:24 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:

In a Disney film, maybe. Not birthing behind your radiator, pooping under your sink, scampering across your living room, piddling on your counter, chewing their way way through your cookies, shredding your oven mitts for nesting material...

zaq

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:

I wonder how many other people believe they have phobias but were really taught (consciously or subconsciously) to fear the things they are afraid of.

A learned phobia is still a phobia.

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:29 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
In a Disney film, maybe. Not birthing behind your radiator, pooping under your sink, scampering across your living room, piddling on your counter, chewing their way way through your cookies, shredding your oven mitts for nesting material...

LOL!

In that instance I agree with you!

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:32 pm
Claustrophobia
Mild Agorophobia
Bridges
Tunnels under water
Flying
Escalators
Tiny elevators
Driving long distances on the freeway (as the passenger)
Driving long distances on the streets (as the driver)
Choking
Doctors
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics