Home

What do you serve Friday and Shabbos if you're having guests
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Guests


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 7:10 pm
you can also include shalishides and melave malka
Back to top

wifenmother




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 7:18 pm
When I have guests, I always have cake (a bundt or the like) in a cake tray on the counter along with a bowl of fruit.

Erev Shabbos I serve toamehu in the afternoon (deli roll, farfel, one or two kugels...). The rest depends on how many guest there are. I'll make an extra salad for Shaloshudes, and melava malka depends on the time of the year.
Back to top

amother




Mintcream
 

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 7:28 pm
Kugel and grilled chicken when they arrive.

Friday Night
Challah, dips, fish, salad
Soup
Meat, chicken, potato, roasted vegetables
Fruit crisp

Cake dome on the counter and bunch of bananas
I show them coffee shelf, cereal boxes and yogurt cheese drawer

Shabbos Day
Challah, dips, fish
Salad, egg salad
Cholent, deli board
Ice cream

Cut fruit and snacks in the afternoon

Seuda Shlishi
Challah
Tuna, egg salad, guacamole
Salad, pasta salad
Back to top

amother




Fuchsia
 

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 7:37 pm
Toamehu when they arrive:
Potato kugel
Farfel
Chickpeas
Apple Crumble
(Most people here still need a coffee...)

Friday night:
Challah
Huge assortment of dips, mostly homemade
Salmon and gefilte fish with chrein
Chicken soup with lukshen and kneidlach with veggies for whoever wants
Dark cutlets, potato kugel, farfel, apple crumble
Dessert
"Butteh" with nuts, chocolates, beer, popcorn

Shabbos morning:
Cake or Biscotti on the counter, cereal and milk

Shabbos Day meal:
Same challah, dips, and fish
Eggs with liver, sometimes a plain typical vegetable salad if I'm in the mood
Chulent, potato kugel, kishke, apple crumble
Dessert

Shabbos Afternoon:
Cut up fruit, usually melons

Shalosh seudos, served only in the summer:
Challah
hardboiled eggs
guacomole
canned fish
Some fancy salad out of a cookbook
If we're milchig - ice cream for dessert

Melave malka, served only in the winter:
Pizza and fries ordered in
Back to top

amother




Brown
 

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 7:39 pm
If staying for shabbos
I like to have something hot for before shabbos like kugel etc
In the summer I serve the main course before shabbos us usually since the meal is so late

My meals is usually are challa, a few dips, a few salads, fish
At night soup and day cholent (sometimes with some sides
Dessert
Back to top

amother




Dodgerblue
 

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 9:58 pm
I never heard of toamehu till I went on KMR! I literally thought it was something they made up to keep feeding us!’
Back to top

amother




Bellflower
 

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 10:12 pm
What is toamehu??? (I know toamehu Chaim zuchu…)
Back to top

pause




 
 
 
 

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 10:27 pm
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
What is toamehu??? (I know toamehu Chaim zuchu…)

That's where it comes from. Serving Shabbos food on Friday in order to "taste" it.
Back to top

amother




Diamond
 

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 11:08 pm
What butteh?
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:04 am
Butte is a party after fri night seudah with goodies, sometimes singing. Sometimes men do it in shul & get together or just family at home.
Back to top

amother




Cyclamen
 

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:17 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Toamehu when they arrive:
Potato kugel
Farfel
Chickpeas
Apple Crumble
(Most people here still need a coffee...)

Friday night:
Challah
Huge assortment of dips, mostly homemade
Salmon and gefilte fish with chrein
Chicken soup with lukshen and kneidlach with veggies for whoever wants
Dark cutlets, potato kugel, farfel, apple crumble
Dessert
"Butteh" with nuts, chocolates, beer, popcorn

Shabbos morning:
Cake or Biscotti on the counter, cereal and milk

Shabbos Day meal:
Same challah, dips, and fish
Eggs with liver, sometimes a plain typical vegetable salad if I'm in the mood
Chulent, potato kugel, kishke, apple crumble
Dessert

Shabbos Afternoon:
Cut up fruit, usually melons

Shalosh seudos, served only in the summer:
Challah
hardboiled eggs
guacomole
canned fish
Some fancy salad out of a cookbook
If we're milchig - ice cream for dessert

Melave malka, served only in the winter:
Pizza and fries ordered in

Can I come to your house for Shabbos?
Back to top

amother




Diamond
 

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:24 am
dankbar wrote:
Butte is a party after fri night seudah with goodies, sometimes singing. Sometimes men do it in shul & get together or just family at home.

What culture? I’ve been to sefardic, litvish, yeshivish, chassidish etc. homes for Shabbos and never heard of I
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:38 am
Chassidish
Back to top

amother




Floralwhite
 

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:47 am
Fri

Challah. Sourdough
Dips. Roasted garlic
Salmon
3 salads - corn, quinoa, cucumber, lettuce, coleslaw
Soup
Chicken
(Sometimes meat)
Green beans
Roasted vegetable
Potato kugel
Compote
Cake
Candy

Shabbos day
Challah. Sourdough.
Dips
Liver
Eggs
3 or more salads (repeat Friday plus fresh)
Pickles
Meat board: deli, chicken, franks n blanks, etc
Cholent
Apple cobbler
Potato kugel
Ice cream
Cake

Shalosh seudos
Assorted salads and dips
Linguini salad
Tuna
Summer: cheese sandwich platter: cheeses, avocado, tomato, onions
Carrots. Chummus
Chips. Salsa.
Ice cream
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 3:25 am
Are you ladies making this all up? Or is this your dream Shabbat menu?
Seriously, I’m feeling so complexed now. Mad
Back to top

amother




Lotus
 

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 5:07 am
Friday night:
Homemade dips with challah
Lots of fresh salads
Moroccan fish
Chicken soup
Meatballs and peas
Meat or lamb
String beans
Potatoes
Dessert candy and nuts

Shabbat lunch:
Dips and salads
Mazza- lachmagene, chicken nuggets, deli roll, franks n blanks
Meat board
Pastrami pizza
Cholent kugel
Another hot dish if there’s a lot of people
Dessert
Back to top

amother




Acacia
 

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 5:15 am
I don’t do anything different whether home with just family or guests. Just different amounts.

I put up my cholent and kugels Thursday night so l have that for eating on Friday as well.

Friday night
Challa
Dips
Coleslaw
Roasted garlic
Broccoli salad
Veggies-pickles, olives, jalapeños etc
Salmon and or gefilte. Sometimes herring as well
Soup- chicken/onion flanken
Meat- usually a cowboy steak/ corn beef/ brisket/French roast
Apple kugel/turnovers
Potato kugel
Veggie- green beans or cauliflower..

Shabbos day
Salad (usually with cubes of leftover meat from Fri night)
Meat platter- tongue slices, corn beef, turkey, hard salami and jerky
Cholent eggs
Liver
Gala
Cole slaw
Veggies
Cholent
Kugel that was in the cholent

I’m not much of a baker so it’s usually store bought baked goods. Such as rugelach or amaretto cake.

And we’re not either desert people really, so the kids usually take an ices or ice cream after the main, and sometimes we’ll do candy or popinsanity


Last edited by amother on Sun, May 15 2022, 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Dodgerblue
 

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 6:42 am
steak4me wrote:
I don’t do anything different whether home with just family or guests. Just different amounts.

I put up my cholent and kugels Thursday night so l have that for eating on Friday as well.

Friday night
Challa
Dips
Coleslaw
Roasted garlic
Broccoli salad
Veggies-pickles, olives, jalapeños etc
Salmon and or gefilte. Sometimes herring as well
Soup- chicken/onion flanken
Meat- usually a cowboy steak/ corn beef/ brisket/French roast
Apple kugel/turnovers
Potato kugel
Veggie- green beans or cauliflower..

Shabbos day
Salad (usually with cubes of leftover meat from Fri night)
Meat platter- tongue slices, corn beef, turkey, hard salami and jerky
Cholent eggs
Liver
Gala
Cole slaw
Veggies
Cholent
Kugel that was in the cholent

I’m not much of a baker so it’s usually store bought baked goods. Such as rugelach or amaretto cake.

And we’re not either desert people really, so the kids usually take an ices or ice cream after the main, and sometimes we’ll do candy or popinsanity


All this for just your family at home? Kah must be a large family!
Back to top

Ema of 5




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 6:53 am
I serve the same things whether I’m having company or not.
Before shabbos, there’s kugel, cholent, schnitzel, pastrami cigars, and egg rolls.

Friday night:
Fish
Soup
Meat
Chicken
Potato kugel
Cauliflower
Brussels sprouts
Other vegetable sides

Shabbos day:
Fish
Liver
Meat
Chicken
Cholent
Potato kugel
Vegetable sides
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 6:59 am
Different things depending on the company.
This shabbat I had 3 seminary girls. I didn't make anything different or special.

Fri nite
Challah
8 dips/salads
Bbq chicken on the bone
Basic roast chicken on the bone
Couscous
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Dessert

Lunch
Challah and dips
Make your own salad bar with many components
Stuffed chicken
Grilled Pargit
Roasted cauliflower
Red/white cabbage salad
Roasted green beans

If I'm having company with little kids, I'll make shnitzel and other kid food.
If I'm having a different type of week and adult company I'll make different items.
There's no rules.

ETA: I did serve Seuda Shlishit this week because we had sleeping company, but usually company just means 1 meal.
I also make dishes depending on my week and my mood and if I know a guest likes something particular.
I have a friend who is VERY into cholent, so if she's coming I'll make it, even though we rarely have it.


Last edited by essie14 on Sun, May 15 2022, 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next Recent Topics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Guests

Related Topics Replies Last Post
[ Poll ] How often do you go away for Shabbos?
by amother
29 Today at 9:00 am View last post
Where did you get your Shabbos dishes
by amother
0 Yesterday at 11:14 pm View last post
Lakewood - where can I buy a pretty Shabbos cape?
by amother
4 Yesterday at 11:27 am View last post
When asking neigbors to host OOT guests for a simcha...
by amother
56 Yesterday at 8:34 am View last post
S/o Place to go for shabbos Chanukah
by amother
5 Mon, Nov 28 2022, 10:28 pm View last post
by DVOM