Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What's there to do on a stopover in Vienna?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:02 pm
We have an 8-hour daytime layover. Is there anything to do in the area of the airport?

Chickensoupprof

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:47 pm
Meh... nothing much... Leopoldstadt where the jews are, is 20 till 40 minutes away you can walk a bit through town is beautiful though.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:50 pm
Is the Jewish museum in the area?

Chickensoupprof

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 5:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is the Jewish museum in the area?

More in the city center is the Jewish museum IIRC have been there in 2019 not far away. I didn't like the Jewish museum though, there are nice kosher restuarants in leopold stadt I LOVED the buchari restaurant there.

DrMom

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 5:55 pm
Some ideas: Stroll through the center of town (very pretty with lots of Baroque architecture), look at Schönbrunn Palace, take a horse and buggy ride, go to the zoo or Prater park if you will have kids in tow.

amother
Leaf

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 6:06 pm
Nothing is near the airport... You have to drive about 20 min to get into the city. The Vienna Airport bus goes directly to the town and its cheap. You need to get off at morzinplatz Station. Schonbrunn Palace is quite far from the city center. You need to take the underground.
If I were you I would just walk around the beautiful city center where you also have all the shops (closed on Sundays) there is a meaty restaurant there called aleph aleph. The Jewish area is about a 15 min walk from the city center, just on the other side of the danube River.

imaima

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 6:21 pm
DrMom wrote:
Some ideas: Stroll through the center of town (very pretty with lots of Baroque architecture), look at Schönbrunn Palace, take a horse and buggy ride, go to the zoo or Prater park if you will have kids in tow.

This is great advice. Lots of stuff to see in Vienna!

chagru

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 7:46 pm
If you like shopping, there is a big outlet with many great shops . It’s called parndorf

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:41 am
I wonder when you’re traveling, I’m considering taking a very short trip to America in the near future with an 8 hour stopover in Vienna and wondering if it’s worth it.
I’d rather not you go if I’m stuck in the airport for eight hours, but if I would actually enjoy the day in Vienna I might consider it.
So is it worth the schlepp or should I just stay home?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:05 am
Seems like there's plenty to do within half an hour of the airport, so I think it's worth it for us.

Thanks to everyone for the info!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We have an 8-hour daytime layover. Is there anything to do in the area of the airport?

The Chasam sofer is buried in Slovakia, which is a little over an hour away, you might be able to make it if you arrange a driver
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics