Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Upwards pee stream

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 11:20 pm
My son is just being toilet trained, and his pee stream always shoots upwards and out of the toilet. He gets freaked out and doesn't want to go. What does this mean? Is the anything I can do about it?
He's my first son after afew girls, I'm new to toilet training boys. TIA.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 11:22 pm
My son holds himself downward. How else?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 11:22 pm
It's possible he has something called meatal stenosis. It's when the urethral opening is too small. It's fairly common and corrected easily with surgery. Its frequently noticed when the child is being toilet trained and their urine stream is abnormal.
Your pediatrician can confirm whether this is the issue or not. Bring your son in to get checked.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 11:23 pm
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
My son holds himself downward. How else?

I don't think the urine is supposed to spray upwards. I would think it's supposed to spray straight out.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 11:25 pm
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
It's possible he has something called meatal stenosis. It's when the urethral opening is too small. It's fairly common and corrected easily with surgery. Its frequently noticed when the child is being toilet trained and their urine stream is abnormal.
Your pediatrician can confirm whether this is the issue or not. Bring your son in to get checked.

Thank you, I will get him checked out. What type of doctor? Pediatrician or urologist? Do you know if the recovery is painful? Will he need to be trained over again? (If he does have this issue?)

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you, I will get him checked out. What type of doctor? Pediatrician or urologist? Do you know if the recovery is painful? Will he need to be trained over again? (If he does have this issue?)

Your pediatrician should be able to tell you whether it is this or not. A urologist is the doctor that corrects it.
I work in the medical field. Never seen a kid have an issue with toilet training afterwards.

amother
Electricblue

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 11:40 pm
My son had this. It was done with numbing cream and small snip in the urologists office.

Not a whole surgery.

It’s not an uncommon result of a bris.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 11:50 pm
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
My son had this. It was done with numbing cream and small snip in the urologists office.

Not a whole surgery.

It’s not an uncommon result of a bris.

Thank you, I will take hime tomorrow ih.
Was your son toilet trained already when he had it done?

amother
Maple

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 12:22 am
My son had this repaired with quick procedure in operating room under general anesthesia. He was already toilet trained and the procedure did not cause regression (unless you count peeing in the bath while it healed which doc recommended to prevent pain). If anything it finally enabled him to pee without having to put effort into trying to get the pee to land in the toilet so it made things easier. So glad we got this done!

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 12:25 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:

My son had exactly this. It was going sideways/upwards and he needed to pee very often. I only found out by age 5 at reg drs office. He referred me to urologist, who corrected it easily through surgery.

amother
Electricblue

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 12:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you, I will take hime tomorrow ih.
Was your son toilet trained already when he had it done?

Yes he was 3 yo.

I needed to put ointment on so that it didn’t close up again.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 12:47 am
This thread concerns me that my boys possibly have this but at the point of toilet training I never thought it’s a problem that can be fixed. Thought it’s a matter of aiming right,,, now I feel guilty that maybe it was something that needed to be addressed but they are too old for me to suddenly discuss it. Maybe that’s why the toilet needs to be washed a few times a day... TMI

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:23 am
My son had the surgery. I worried if it would have a long term problem but he has fathered kids!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training