Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Makeup on Shabat

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:19 am
I realized that I am not well versed in the halachas regarding makeup on Shabat, and probably should make some changes to what I do currently. I do not know what changes I am prepared to make right now. However I would like to hear what is allowed. I would be most appreciative if Imas would share with me what is allowed on Shabat. (Please do not use this thread to tell me what is not allowed, but rather what is.)

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:25 am
In general what is allowed is (only) specific types of makeup formulated for Shabbos use. They come with instructions of how they can (and cannot) be applied so as not to be a problem on Shabbos.

From my understanding they are mostly powders.

There are also ways to apply makeup before Shabbos so that (most of it) stays on for Shabbos day. Sleeping with a silk pillowcase helps, but so does technique and type of makeup used.

(I know this is a little bit off topic, but wanted to tell you that it's great you're even considering this. I don't have the challenge for makeup on Shabbos, but I have it in another area - I use wet baby wipes when changing my kids and I'm afraid to ask what our family Rav holds on the subject. I find alternate ways of changing dirty diapers (spray, dry wipes, tissues etc.) to make the whole process far too overwhelming. I think it's really brave of you to ask the question and wishing you hatzlacha in upgrading your Shabbos!)

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 9:15 am
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
In general what is allowed is (only) specific types of makeup formulated for Shabbos use. They come with instructions of how they can (and cannot) be applied so as not to be a problem on Shabbos.

From my understanding they are mostly powders.

There are also ways to apply makeup before Shabbos so that (most of it) stays on for Shabbos day. Sleeping with a silk pillowcase helps, but so does technique and type of makeup used.

(I know this is a little bit off topic, but wanted to tell you that it's great you're even considering this. I don't have the challenge for makeup on Shabbos, but I have it in another area - I use wet baby wipes when changing my kids and I'm afraid to ask what our family Rav holds on the subject. I find alternate ways of changing dirty diapers (spray, dry wipes, tissues etc.) to make the whole process far too overwhelming. I think it's really brave of you to ask the question and wishing you hatzlacha in upgrading your Shabbos!)

Also off topic but in regards to your () I use sleek sensations wipes which has a hechsher and my dh squeezes them out before shabbos and stores it in an airtight container. That way there still wet but not sopping dripping wet

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 9:50 am
I commend you OP for wanting to find out! In regards to regular makeup, it’s not permitted to put on. Shabbos makeup that is allowed is powder as mentioned by a previous poster and is designed to not last long hence not transgressing the prohibition of coloring (since it’s very temporary). You can look for different websites or local makeup artists that sell shabbos makeup that is approved by a Rabbi. However there are very strict rules about the application of the makeup. For example you can’t mix any colors, you can’t use the same brush for 2 different things, you can’t apply shabbos makeup onto any other makeup that was already on the skin. (There maybe other rules but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head). For those reasons I find shabbos makeup to be only worth it for I ever have to go to the mikvah Friday night because I hate how I look without makeup. (We asked our yeshivish rav about this because I told my DH I won’t go out shabbos day or have over guests if I can’t wear makeup. In this situation my rav said it was fine so I put on the shabbos makeup in the am. It definitely did something but was nothing like my regular full face. Other people don’t “hold of” shabbos makeup at all.). Even if my rav said I can use shabbos makeup whenever I want I wouldn’t because I find doing my makeup right before shabbos with regular makeup lasts and looks much better than applying shabbos makeup to a completely bare face (since you can’t add it on after there’s already makeup on.). So I guess my suggestion is to research, experiment, and invest in some great long lasting makeup that you can apply before shabbos (but if this is about post Friday night mikvah then you can look into shabbos approved makeup that has a Rabbi’s “hechsher” but just remember there are rules attached to that. L) Kol Hakavod and hatzlacha!

creditcards

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 4:13 pm
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
Also off topic but in regards to your () I use sleek sensations wipes which has a hechsher and my dh squeezes them out before shabbos and stores it in an airtight container. That way there still wet but not sopping dripping wet

I heard that they make it dripping wet on purpose so you don't need to squeeze out the water to use it. The heter is that it's dripping wet so you can use the wetness without squeezing it. If it end up being squeezed by mistake it's not a problem because you didn't squeeze it because you needed the water.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 4:35 pm
creditcards wrote:
I heard that they make it dripping wet on purpose so you don't need to squeeze out the water to use it. The heter is that it's dripping wet so you can use the wetness without squeezing it. If it end up being squeezed by mistake it's not a problem because you didn't squeeze it because you needed the water.

Great point. I’ll ask my dh and get back to you. Op, sorry for derailing your thread!

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 6:18 pm
creditcards wrote:

Makes sense! My dh said we should use wet wipes with a spray bottles that way you don’t “need” the liquid from the wet wipes. I feel like that’s kind of along the same lines.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 7:06 pm
Is there any shabbos primer? My biggest issue is that I need to fill in my pores...otherwise my makeup looks terrible
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note