Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Getting rid of rocks and planting grass can you help?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 6:18 pm
My yard was a huge junkyard full of construction debris and rocks and weeds and I'm trying to clear it out and make it nice looking

Thing is there is tons and tons and tons of rocks. Right now I'm putting them in garbage bags a little each because otherwise it gets too heavy to carry and then only putting out a few at a time, since that's the limit.

There's got to be a better way. I know I can hire a landscaper, but I'm trying to do this on my own.

Any ideas how to easily get away piles and piles of rocks?

Another question: Is it alright if small rocks remain? The pebble like ones. Will they interfere with planting grass?

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 7:53 pm
I did the same thing as you and put them out little by little. Alternatively you can order a bulk pickup and put them out on your front lawn. I don't know where you are located but this is an option by me. I would try not to leave over any pebbles at all. Preferably remove some dirt rather than leave pebbles. You will need to either buy carpet grass or put down top soil to plant grass.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 11:42 pm
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:
I did the same thing as you and put them out little by little. Alternatively you can order a bulk pickup and put them out on your front lawn. I don't know where you are located but this is an option by me. I would try not to leave over any pebbles at all. Preferably remove some dirt rather than leave pebbles. You will need to either buy carpet grass or put down top soil to plant grass.

what do you mean by a bulk pickup? You can ask for a truck to come pick up bulk stuff and stones would be included?

Also how did you carry the actual rocks? Put a little in every bag?

So I'd like to put top soil and plant grass myself. But there's no way I can get rid of the million tiny rocks scattered in the soil. You got rid of all the tiny ones?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 12:38 am
Some people use pebbles as decorative, so really depends. When you say rocks- how big?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 1:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
what do you mean by a bulk pickup? You can ask for a truck to come pick up bulk stuff and stones would be included?

Also how did you carry the actual rocks? Put a little in every bag?

So I'd like to put top soil and plant grass myself. But there's no way I can get rid of the million tiny rocks scattered in the soil. You got rid of all the tiny ones?

If you put on a thick enough layer of top soil, the tiny rocks and pebbles should be completely covered, no? Grass doesn't have deep roots, so I don't see why stones deeper down would disturb it. I'd clean out the big stuff and bury the rest under soil.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening