Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Neat house
Previous  1  2  3  4

imaima

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:52 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Yes, they were trained that way. All of them.
The playroom is called playroom for a reason. If you are fine with your kids being all over the place at all times and playing in any place they want you do full time help 24/7 IMHO.
Could you please explain what "putting a damper on their creative play" means?

For example, the kids want to play „avadim hayinu“ and walk around the house with pillows and cushions on their backs, looking like slaves doing heavy work.
The playroom would be to small for walking around. They would need to walk through other rooms. I like the game and am excited that they internalized the Pessach story and came up with the game. I won’t tell them off for walking into other rooms too.
However there is a chance they will drop the cushions in a random spot and forget about them. And I forget too, because dinner bath and bedtime.
Two hours later I notice the mess and then I am tired but I also just may not remember that in between the activities I showed have asked them to out the stuff away

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:50 pm
so it's funny b/c its those big games that I don't mind as much.. even if I have to clean up in the end. clearly someone walking into my house (even hours after the game is over) knows my dining room chairs and blankets dont belong in the hallway!

its the cups, and papers, and random menchie, and the sweatshirt and single sock that get me.
the friend I went to that sunday didn't have any of those random things on the floor! yes, my kids have to be better about throwing out in the garbage. I admit that and something im trying to encourage.

its the small things that make the house look messier, rather than the large objects out of place.. that make sense?

zaq

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 2:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

its the small things that make the house look messier, rather than the large objects out of place.. that make sense?

Quite. Lots of small things are messier than one big thing. Even when neatly arranged, they create visual clutter, which is why opaque bins look so much neater than transparent ones. When not neatly arranged, it's that much worse.

Once a day, my BFF would take a broom, sweep up everything on the floor into a single pile, extract everything useful (socks, toys, markers, underwear), scoop up into a dustpan whatever was left (tissues, diapers, candy wrappers, broken crayons) and dump it in the trash. When VERY aggravated by her sloppy kids, she wouldn't extract the toys but dumped them as well. Don't worry, she'd warn the kids first. Repeatedly. If they didn't care enough about their toys to rescue them, they lost them. They learned their lesson pretty fast.

sweet

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 3:17 pm
I bought 2 nice baskets in target, that I put on the side of my couches in my fam. Room.

One is for blankets and the other one is for random stuff I find around ny first floor. Including my kids shoes, natives, socks, books, random toys they bring up from my basement, ...

Now I have my floors clear and I do try to sort through the baskets every night or so..
I definitely find this helps.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 3:38 pm
zaq wrote:
Quite. Lots of small things are messier than one big thing. Even when neatly arranged, they create visual clutter, which is why opaque bins look so much neater than transparent ones. When not neatly arranged, it's that much worse.

Once a day, my BFF would take a broom, sweep up everything on the floor into a single pile, extract everything useful (socks, toys, markers, underwear), scoop up into a dustpan whatever was left (tissues, diapers, candy wrappers, broken crayons) and dump it in the trash. When VERY aggravated by her sloppy kids, she wouldn't extract the toys but dumped them as well. Don't worry, she'd warn the kids first. Repeatedly. If they didn't care enough about their toys to rescue them, they lost them. They learned their lesson pretty fast.

A good no-nonsense mum Smile

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 3:47 pm
zaq wrote:

Reminds me of the time in germany as an au-pair. When the daughter didn't want to put back her toys her mother told her calmly that it's either put away the toys or I will have to throw them in the garbage.
End of story. No discussion.
All toys got collected. No toys were thrown Smile

amother
Viola

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 3:48 pm
If I want my house to run smoothly and be in tip top shape, I need to clean for 3 hours a day. Yes, I have a rotating schedule with tasks for each day. And yes, I’m wiped at the end of the day.
Some days I have no strength and just do the bare minimum which is to make sure my kids have clean clothes and fresh food to eat. Other days I do my cleaning/ organizing list and feel on top of my game, but only when I have the strength. I’m not by nature a strong person and I tire easily. I know some people have more strength and that’s why they can shlep around a vacuum and mop every day. I can’t.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics