Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Need fashion advise- Are shells in or out?
  1  2  3  11  12  13  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 2:05 am
I have a lot of pretty & stylish sleeveless dresses that I always wore a shell with. Whenever I put one on lately my kids shake their heads at me… so tell me… are shells with dresses out and I shouldn’t do it? Don’t want to look like I’m stuck in a time warp.

salt

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 2:22 am
My kids tell me the same thing, but I still wear them.
In my opinion wearing something a couple of years out of fashion is fine.
It's not like you're wearing dresses from the Victorian period.

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 2:28 am
Can you show a picture of a dress as an example?
Also, I think this is also location, age and what type you are...
Best is if you go into a local clothing store and peruse the racks to see what they have. Chance is, if you don't see similar items of what you have, it probably is not in.

SuperWify

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:06 am
You want honesty? Then yea, they are out.

Sesame

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:19 am
I think it’s not the in thing right now

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:34 am
I wear them and I'm in Israel and my kids are fairly in style and they say that it's okay here. I just can't seem to find any other dresses all the ones that are long sleeves are polyester. I would love to know where I could find cotton dresses in Israel or not polyester..

amother
Currant

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:39 am
They are out teens these day think they are so nerdy ( yes I have teens) it’s so sad I try explaining how shells were the most amazing thing when they came out it opened up so many more clothing opinions. Now they won’t wear shells and it hard to find clothes

lkwdgirl

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:40 am
Please explain how shells are “out”. They’re such a basic (IMO). Even when I technically don’t need one I wear. To me it’s like a slip. You put it on daily and go on with your day. So are you saying all the short sleeve or sleeveless shirts I have that I wear shells with are out of style?

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:46 am
lkwdgirl wrote:
Please explain how shells are “out”. They’re such a basic (IMO). Even when I technically don’t need one I wear. To me it’s like a slip. You put it on daily and go on with your day. So are you saying all the short sleeve or sleeveless shirts I have that I wear shells with are out of style?

Unfortunately, yes

lkwdgirl

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:49 am
Who makes these rules? What’s going to be with the shell station stores

Rappel

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:13 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I wear them and I'm in Israel and my kids are fairly in style and they say that it's okay here. I just can't seem to find any other dresses all the ones that are long sleeves are polyester. I would love to know where I could find cotton dresses in Israel or not polyester..

You can sometimes find cotton dresses on Next. If they're short, then I layer with a base skirt.

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, May 16 2022, 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total

banana123

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:15 am
In Israel they are still very much worn. All over, all the time.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:18 am
lkwdgirl wrote:
Who makes these rules? What’s going to be with the shell station stores

They’re not being worn under sleeveless and short sleeves anymore. That look is out. I think it’s still okay to wear if something is see thru or the neckline is too low.
Don’t worry about the shell station 😉

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:52 am
SuperWify wrote:
You want honesty? Then yea, they are out.

I disagree. And I’m not nerdy or nebby or whatever I wear designer blah blah
Truthfully the dresses in the Jewish clothing stores right now are nerdy everyone looks like little house on the prairie and does not understand the concept of proper fit. I worked in the stores I know this for a fact. If you find a dress that’s sleeveless but fits you beautiful a shell is not nerdy at all.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:54 am
I am not very fashionable but I wear them for necklines or see through material.

If you have short sleeved dresses you can try to find cardigans to go on top maybe, that can work with some styles.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:57 am
Raisin wrote:
I am not very fashionable but I wear them for necklines or see through material.

If you have short sleeved dresses you can try to find cardigans to go on top maybe, that can work with some styles.

Yes cropped cardigans are very trendy right now for dresses

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:12 am
banana123 wrote:
In Israel they are still very much worn. All over, all the time.

I just don’t get it.
I was just in Israel.
I live very oot and we have no jewish stores. So I go to the regular store and buy basic tops, with various sleeve lengths. I wear them under a blazer or a cardigan.
I buy cotton shirt dresses that are available in many shops. Linen clothes are sold too.

I come to Israel and everyone wears layered polyester tops. A short sleeve polyester on top of a long sleeve shell. In the heat!
Why?

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:25 am
I was kvetching about the polyester invasion recently and someone recommended to me this shop/website which specializes in Indian cotton dresses and clothes.
Haven't looked it through properly yet. It seems a bit on the bohemian side.

https://www.lilain.co.il/

s c

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:27 am
In the UK they're not in anymore except to fill a low neckline or something like that. Shops are full of long sleeve, midi and maxi summer dresses so not a problem.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 6:35 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
I just don’t get it.
I was just in Israel.
I live very oot and we have no jewish stores. So I go to the regular store and buy basic tops, with various sleeve lengths. I wear them under a blazer or a cardigan.
I buy cotton shirt dresses that are available in many shops. Linen clothes are sold too.

I come to Israel and everyone wears layered polyester tops. A short sleeve polyester on top of a long sleeve shell. In the heat!
Why?

There's no other options.

We don't have any of that. I hate shells. So hot. I've sworn off long sleeve shells in the summer and I only buy tops I can wear with sleeveless shells. It means its nearly impossible to find clothing but I can't take the layering and heat anymore.

Were going to America for sukkos and I can't wait to buy normal t-shirts that don't need a shell.
Page 1 of 13   1  2  3  11  12  13  Next Recent Topics