Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleeping without swaddle
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:21 pm
How do I get my baby to sleep without being swaddled?
She falls asleep so nicely all nice and tightly wrapped, I wish I could keep her in it longer but she is going to be rolling soon
(Currently I lay her down awake and swaddled with a paci and she falls asleep on her own)
Sometimes she gets her arms out and it wakes her up, which is why I am worried, seems she needs the tight feeling to sleep.
Please help me! I can use all the advice I can get! Any tips and tricks

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:23 pm
Tummy sleeping.

I know I know, SIDS. If it helps, highest risk age is 2-4 months. Your baby is probably at least about 4 months if close to rolling.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:46 pm
Sleep sack

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:53 pm
My baby also loved being swaddled and slept amazing like that.

I bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/Love-Dr.....psc=1

Expensive but worth it. Switched my baby to this around 3 months. After a month or so in the hands up swaddle I unzipped one hand, and then a few nights later the other. After that I switched him to a regular sleep sack.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:54 pm
They make a swaddle blanket that helps transition the baby from full swaddle to sleep sack.
Swaddle me convertible swaddle- you can do it with arms in or out. I found that wrapping the velcro around the stomach helped give some of the sam comfort without the rolling over while swaddled risk.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:58 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
My baby also loved being swaddled and slept amazing like that.

I bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/Love-Dr.....psc=1

Expensive but worth it. Switched my baby to this around 3 months. After a month or so in the hands up swaddle I unzipped one hand, and then a few nights later the other. After that I switched him to a regular sleep sack.

Would she be able to get her hands over her face?
I am neurotic.

happy chick

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:59 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Tummy sleeping.

I know I know, SIDS. If it helps, highest risk age is 2-4 months. Your baby is probably at least about 4 months if close to rolling.

I agree with this.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:02 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
They make a swaddle blanket that helps transition the baby from full swaddle to sleep sack.
Swaddle me convertible swaddle- you can do it with arms in or out. I found that wrapping the velcro around the stomach helped give some of the sam comfort without the rolling over while swaddled risk.

When she has her hands out she pulls out her paci or sucks on her fingers and I get no sleep
What do I do about that?

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would she be able to get her hands over her face?
I am neurotic.

Not in any way that would be unsafe. I'm on a Facebook group that is very pro safe sleep and this is highly recommended. I wouldn't keep it once they are fully rolling, but you probably have a few weeks to make the transition.

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When she has her hands out she pulls out her paci or sucks on her fingers and I get no sleep
What do I do about that?

Nothing really - her hands can't be tied down forever. My kids don't have pacis...but they learned to suck their hands or not...its not something you can control.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do I do about that?

Why would her sucking on her hands cause you not to sleep?
Does she cry when she pulls out the paci?

You can't fully swaddle once they roll. So you need to find something to help her sleep.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:55 pm
Get a zipadee zip. Safe for babies that roll. They can use their hands even though they are in the swaddle as they aren’t tied and can move freely. My baby loved it and slept through the night with it. She used it until she outgrew the biggest size. Very safe.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:56 pm
Magic Merlin

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:56 pm
No need to ever swaddle a baby. It suppresses the moro reflex.
Your baby clearly doesnt like it because shes getting her hands out and sucking on them for comfort.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:58 pm
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
Your baby clearly doesnt like it because shes getting her hands out and sucking on them for comfort.

One of my kids LOVED to be swaddled! I swaddled her (arms only) until 8 months.

Many years later I got her a weighted blanket Smile

Zehava

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:58 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Tummy sleeping.

Came here to say this

RevitalizedMom

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:01 pm

Suppressing the Moro reflex is one of the main reasons to swaddle. Otherwise they startle themselves awake.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:08 pm
LeeR wrote:
Suppressing the Moro reflex is one of the main reasons to swaddle. Otherwise they startle themselves awake.

We shouldnt be suppressing it. It protects babies and is an instinctual reflex that communicates their needs. Swaddling is NOT "womb like" either... its a market term that companies use in order to sway parents to buy products that are not natural or necessary.. Babies kick, move and roll freely in the womb and are not "swaddled" inside of utero. The more a baby startles, the faster this reflex goes away

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:13 pm

There is a need. Babies like to feel like they are in the womb again and they sleep better that way.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:14 pm
We shouldnt be suppressing it. It protects babies and is an instinctual reflex that communicates their needs. Swaddling is NOT "womb like" either... its a market term that companies use in order to sway parents to buy products that are not natural or necessary.. Babies kick, move and roll freely in the womb and are not "swaddled" inside of utero. The more a baby startles, the faster this reflex goes away

Right it's a market term, that's why it actually works and babies sleep better swaddled. It's because we told them they better believe what the people want to sell and viola they listen.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics