Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Best mop
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:18 am
what mop would you recommend that is easy to use, doesnt get disguesting (even with cleaning it after every use) for tile floor?

I want to feel like I can mop of the floor as often as I want, without feeling like its a big chore (the mop I have now I don't feel is very good. it just swishs around the dirty water all over my floor)

whats the deal with the steam mop (is that whats its called?) how does it work? easy to use? effective? how is it different that a regular mop?

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:25 am
I love my Shark steam mop and I also have a ceramic floor. (I find that different types of mops are suited to different floors. Like I tried it on my father's linoleum floor and didn't like it at all. Didn't glide over the floor the way it does on mine.)

I have smooth ceramic glazed tiles and the steam mop does the work for me - I just move it over the area. I do find that (contrary to it's claims) if there's a sticky spot, I sometimes have to work on it by hand. And it doesn't clean the grout well, like claims I've seen.

But it does shine the tiles beautifully with minimal effort on my part. And when I'm done, I toss the mop head cover into the wash.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:39 am
The o cedar mop with accompanying bucket is highly recommended. I buy a few mop heads and wash them frequently. I also replace the heads when they get gross

The steam mop is nice too. I tend to use It when I want a quick clean up, and don't want to start with whole mop and bucket of water situation. The floor feels more sterlized, because of the steam. Its nice to be able to throw the rag part in the machine afterwards, and it comes out clean.
I find it isn't as effective when cleaning really dirty floors though. I would have to change the cloth in middle if it was a dirty job.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:48 am
so I have the o cedar mop.. with a bunch of replacemnet rags. but I don't know why they just always looks grimy and gross. and im careful to wash them properly each time. and the mop just gets put back into the dirty bucket of water each time. so then im mopping my floor with dirty water. no? am I doing something wrong?

I like the idea of the steam mop. I want to just be able to run around my kitchen and other heavily used tile rooms after a long day and just give it a quick clean. would the steam mop be the answer to that?

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:49 am
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
The o cedar mop with accompanying bucket is highly recommended. I buy a few mop heads and wash them frequently. I also replace the heads when they get gross

The steam mop is nice too. I tend to use It when I want a quick clean up, and don't want to start with whole mop and bucket of water situation. The floor feels more sterlized, because of the steam. Its nice to be able to throw the rag part in the machine afterwards, and it comes out clean.
I find it isn't as effective when cleaning really dirty floors though. I would have to change the cloth in middle if it was a dirty job.

It's funny - I find my floor gets cleaner with the steam mop than with the O'cedar mop (have that one too.) And the cloth can flip to the other side mid-way for a really dirty job. Or get a spare.

I also have a swiffer stick and pack of wipes for really sticky stuff (like if a cup of juice spills on the floor, or something like that). Then I find the best way is to use those swiffer wipes, and toss them out. Otherwise, a mop just spreads the stickiness farther.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:06 am
I have a Bissel steam mop and I LOVE it. Not sure how it compares to other steam mops but I enjoy it so much more then a regular mop. It’s so much quicker and no hassle. Highly recommend steam mops.

gande

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:12 am
I have a steam mop I hardly use it. Its heavy and you need to go slow. It ruins my wood floor if I leave it in one place too long. I like the swiffer its light and easy to use.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:16 am
I prefer the simple lightweight mops that come with flat washable pads that stick on to the mop stick. Buy extra replacements. Keep washing the pad rags. Clean fresh one every time (sometimes I change one or two times during a mopping session).

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, May 17 2022, 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:17 am
I have the Superio mop
https://www.amazon.com/Superio.....ss_tl

I love it and it is so easy to use
I fill a small bucket with water and Mr. Clean and then pour on the floor, quick mop, and then dry by walking on the floor with a large towel under my feet
Throw towel and mop pad into the wash

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:23 am
I love O-Cedar. Changed my whole mopping experience!

Amarante

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:25 am
I also have a Bissel steam mop and it is great.

The advantage of a steam mop is that the heat is what removes the grit and grime and you don't need detergent and you don't need to use physical scrubbing. It is especially good if you have sticky stuff that has gotten smashed into the kitchen floor and so you just leave the mop in the spot for a few seconds and it loosens it.

You throw the covers into the wash.

The only way I was ever able to get my kitchen floor clean was to scrub it on my hands and knees and use something to rinse up the dirty area as I went along. Needless to say that didn't happen often and I would never ask my cleaning lady to scrub like that either.

With a steam mop the floor sparkles.

They aren't expensive - under $100 and since you don't need any cleanser and the covers are usable you save money in a relatively short period of time. They are as easy to use as a Swifter if you just want to do a light cleaning and it costs you no money versus the expense of Swifter pads and solutions.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:25 am
gande wrote:
I have a steam mop I hardly use it. Its heavy and you need to go slow. It ruins my wood floor if I leave it in one place too long. I like the swiffer its light and easy to use.

My sis also didn't like the steam mop for wood floors. She also has wood-look vinyl in her kitchen and she didn't like it for that either. She gifted it to me and I love it.

That's why I said it depends on the type of floor. I find not all mops are great for all floors.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:28 am
You can't use a steam mop for a wood floor.

You can only use a steam mop for solid surfaces - tile, vinyl, linoleum. The kind of surfaces that you would mop and scrub.

You don't mop and scrub a wood floor with any kind of mop.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:30 am
Amarante wrote:
You can't use a steam mop for a wood floor.

You can only use a steam mop for solid surfaces - tile, vinyl, linoleum. The kind of surfaces that you would mop and scrub.

You don't mop and scrub a wood floor with any kind of mop.

I love how my steam mop works on tile, but I found it was not as effective - nor as easy - to use on linoleum (though I think my father needs a new floor, to be honest). And my sister did not like it for tile (she prefers the Swiffer).

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:32 am
im heading for the steam mop! only looking for tile, not for wood floor.
why don't you need detergent for the steam mop? can you use a detergent if you want to?

Amarante

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:34 am
Chayalle wrote:
I love how my steam mop works on tile, but I found it was not as effective - nor as easy - to use on linoleum (though I think my father needs a new floor, to be honest). And my sister did not like it for tile (she prefers the Swiffer).

A person might not "like" the steam mop on linoleum but I was only commenting on what floor surfaces it is safe to use on.

You can't use a steam mop on a wood floor. You shouldn't be using any kind of water or scrubbing a wood floor because that it not how you take care of wood.

You clean floors with a product for wood like Bona.

Grit is the killer of wood floors so you make sure that you vacuum frequently to get rid of the grit and if there are any sticky surfaces use a damp paper towel and make sure that it is dry.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:54 am
I heard great things about the Bissell steam mop, so I ordered it about 10 years ago. I found that it kept on falling from the corner where I stored it, and pieces broke off. I returned it to Amazon and never tried a steam mop again. I wonder if the Shark is better.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 12:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
im heading for the steam mop! only looking for tile, not for wood floor.
why don't you need detergent for the steam mop? can you use a detergent if you want to?

You can't put anything in it except for distilled water (I buy that in the laundry aisle in shoprite) or you'll break the motor.

You don't need detergent for a steam mop. The hot steam cleans/sterilizes your floor without any added help.

Some steam mops come with a few scent tablets that you can put into a pocket in the mop head, and it scents the steam as it comes out. I don't have that and never tried it. I'm fine without scent - my floors are sparling clean and shiny with just the steam itself.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 1:05 am
Bumping this for more responses
I have vinyl tile floor
Currently have Cedar O mop...it doesn’t do a great job and it’s broken
Need something new
Would love sparkling clean floors!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:13 am
The real answer is getting the floor quite wet with whatever cleaning solution you're using and then squeeging it like a sponja stick (rubber brooms typically have a second squeegee side) and wiping up the dirty water pile with shmattas...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics