Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Leftover Challah
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shayna82

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 3:27 pm
Ive seen lots of potato kugels that call for a stale challah roll...

Ahuva

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 3:28 pm
My mom makes Challah Kugel every week on Sunday, and sends it to me my baby eats it every day, he loves it! I don't think her recipe is much of a hassle and yummy! I'll ask for it..

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 3:30 pm
Thanks, I'd really appreciate it. Smile

stem

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 3:32 pm
I make stuffing for chicken with leftover challah.

Chop up carrots, celery, onions and mushrooms in the food-processor. Saute untill soft. Meanwhile soak challah in water till soft (don't drown it, just make the challah wet enough to soak through). Mix veggies with mushy challah add, spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder) stuff into cavity of a whole chicken and spread the leftover stuffing in the pan around the chicken, and/or under the skin. sprinkle chicken itself with some spices and paprika, and bake covered till done. Uncover the last 10-15 minutes to crisp the top of the chicken. It's SOOOO yummy, and the challah in the pan turns into a sort-of challah kugul.

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 3:52 pm
I do s/t similar to stem's.
sautee celery, onions, mushrooms. soak challah. mix those two together w/ an egg or two and put in a greased baking dish. put raw chicken pieces (thighs, legs, breasts, whatever you want) on top of that. sprinkle w/ some spices (pepper, garlic) and then pour duck sauce over everything. bake at 350. it's yummy!

Last edited by 613 on Wed, Nov 09 2005, 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ahuva

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 4:03 pm
Take off crust of challah, and wet it (We prefer it not too mushy so we don't soak it just wet it and squeeze out water) add some eggs, sugar, oil, cinnamon, and a grated apple. (similar to lukshen kugel) and bake....

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 4:43 pm
I use a similar recipe (for challah kugel) -- it's so easy to make and it is yummy!!!

JEWISHMAMA

Post Thu, Nov 10 2005, 3:27 am
why not do french toast. my hubby makes it sunday brunch and its delish!

elisecohen

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 3:39 pm
My son's favorite salad: just cut up the challah into cubes, put them on a baking sheet, spritz with oil (or brush it on), add any herbs you like, bake for about 20 minutes til dried and browned. Then toss with chopped tomatoes. Yum. Of course this is better in Israel or in the summer in Europe/US when you can get much better tomatoes than you can get here during the winter.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 3:43 pm
Ahuva wrote:
Take off crust of challah, and wet it (We prefer it not too mushy so we don't soak it just wet it and squeeze out water) add some eggs, sugar, oil, cinnamon, and a grated apple. (similar to lukshen kugel) and bake....

You mean you leave out the crust and do the kugel with the rest?
Elise, is the brocho on that salad mezonos?

And thanks everyone for these great recipes.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 4:56 pm
yes, it's made with the "soft" part of the challah.

elisecohen

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 7:19 pm
We make a mezonos on the salad because we were taught that bread that is "recooked" is not bread anymore, but something mezonos if oil or other liquids are added or if it is fried or cooked in some way other than just rebaking (as opposed to toast which is certainly still hamotzi). But you should say whatever brocho you make on any other croutons.

chen

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 9:26 pm
Ahuva wrote:

I leave the crusts on, cut the challah into small cubes, slice the apples and also add raisins.

shoy18

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 9:33 pm
my mom makes either challah kugel or stuffing. wet stale challah until mushy and drain. fry onions, add to challah, add egg salt and pepper. Stuff chicken or bake in a pan. its yummy

lucky

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 8:15 am
My mom always made challah kugel. I have never made it because it is a shiela about the brocha.

Nothing like french toast from thick slices of challah.

realeez

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 9:17 pm
we do french toast - but only when we make sure to take the challah off the table during the meal - otherwise have halachic issues of using it with dairy (if you use milk in the egg mixture and use milchig frying pan).

elisecohen

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 7:29 am
For that reason we always make the french toast parve. My kids always cheer for there to be extra leftover challah because they know they'll get french toast for lunch or dinner on Sunday. I have a great recipe for "make ahead" french toast so you can just stick it all in a baking pan during the day, let it sit, and then bake for dinner. No extra oil, no patchke, and everyone's serving is ready at one time without Ima standing over a frying pan for 1/2 hour. We mostly eat vegan during the week, but I make an exception for this.

willow

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 8:51 am
So whats your recipe?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 9:17 am
I'm always careful with this too, not to use the challah(that was on the fleishig table) with milchig. It's one of the reasons I have so much leftover challah, LOL Can anyone tell me where it speaks about it? Because somebody challenged me about that. (I didn't find it mentioned in Kitzur Shulchan Aruch, but maybe I missed it?)

Rivk

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 9:19 am
I just use soy / rice milk instead of milk and it comes out delicious!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics