Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Leftover Challah
Previous  1  2  3

elisecohen

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 6:40 am
Do-ahead french toast:
1 loaf of challah, more or less, sliced
6 eggs
1 1/2 C soy milk, rice milk, coffee rich, and/or rich's whip
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

Spray or grease 2 9x13" pans. Arrange slices of challah in them. Mix all other ingredients and pour over the challah. Refridgerate for up to 12 hours. Heat oven to 350F.(Optional: melt 6 T margarine and mix with 3/4 C brown sugar and pour over the challah at this point) Bake 30-40 minutes til browned.

elisecohen

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 6:49 am
Quoting "The New Practical Guide to Kashruth" by Rabbi S. Wagschal, Feldheim, Jerusalem/New York, 5751-1991, Chapter 9, Separation of Milky and Meaty, pp45-46, At the table, Bread:

Bread should not be touched with meaty or milky hands unless the loaf in question is set aside for meaty or milky meals exclusively.
Bread which has been used for a milky meal may be used for a meaty meal and vice versa provided that:
(a)it is certain that it was touched by clean hands which had not come into contact with milky or meaty foods.
(b) it was lying on the table in a place where nothing milky or meaty could have splashed on it.
(c) it was cut with a parve knife
Bread which has been within the reach of young children during a meaty or milky meal must not be used for an opposite kind of meal, as the children may have touched it with unclean hands or splashed some food on it, unnoticed by an adult.
Nowadays it is common to keep sliced bread in a plastic bag, even when it is put on the table for a meal. Such bread may be used for milky and meaty meals.

elisecohen

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 6:54 am
Also, The ArtScroll Series, Kashruth: A comprehensive background and reference guide to the principles of Kashruth by Rabbi Yacov Lipschutz cites Yoreh Deah 88 for discussion on this topic.

lucky

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 9:12 am
I do the standard french toast but I bake it instead of frying it. Just spray a baking pan with oil spray dip slices in egg mix. put on baking pan, spray top. bake on 350 till ???it looks done, I never timed it.
Flip to brown second side.
BTW my kids are rebeling. They want it FRIED.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics