Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Inexpensive ways to upgrade house
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
window treatments are a fortune! where can I buy new ones that wont be crazy price. I have a lot of windows

You can get zebra shades on amazon for a great price

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
we have a decently prices handman who can help us with diy projects. so id love those ideas too.

how do I know if a product is good on ali or shein? I don't have time or interest in making returns

Peg Bracken wrote that when running a household, you can have ease, elegance, or economy, but you can only have two at a time.

So in your case:

Ease and elegance without economy - hire a decorator who will spend a lot.
Ease and economy without elegance - buy from the cheapest source without doing research.
Economy and elegance - spend time hunting down the right things at the right price.

You can't have all three.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:00 am
Quote:
Economy and elegance - spend time hunting down the right things at the right price.

I have patience. this is me

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:03 am
If you're in NY or NJ I can recommend someone for zebra shades that's inexpensive.

Newcastle

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:23 am
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
You can get zebra shades on amazon for a great price

And curtain panels and rods on Amazon for cheap, too.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you're in NY or NJ I can recommend someone for zebra shades that's inexpensive.

Not OP but I'd love to hear.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 3:02 pm
Throw pillows in an assortment or colors on the sofa. Arrange family pictures in nice frames. Large and small sizes.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 5:19 pm
Things I've done. I got new knows and handles for the cabinets. I had to make the kitchen kosher so I got updated counter, backsplashes and faucets so the kitchen doesn't look so dreary in old oak cabinets. In the living room I added in some nice throws and pillows and would love to get a nice rug. Also white lighting. Changed out all the bulbs to bright white bulbs. Makes all the difference. Makes the whole house more airy

BrachaBatya

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:12 am
We've been doing this stuff as well the last 2 years and it's making a big difference.

New paint in all of the house (we did it in two separate phases), declutter everywhere that is visible as much as possible - this cannot be overstated.

Clean out all closets, pantry, cabinets and organize well. Donate extra stuff you can live without.

Switch out electrical plug plates and light switch plates (we had some older ugly ones). Buff up hardwood floors and get fresh area rugs. New toss pillows on couches.

We got rid of some old drapery and had basic, clean white blinds installed in most rooms (this was kind of expensive but we felt we needed to do it). Same with door knobs.

If you have any dated light fixtures, swap them out - there are many affordable options.

If you have rooms overloaded with furniture, consider paring it down and open up the space.

Fix, or hire handyman to fix, anything that is broken in the house or on your property. If you have a yard and walkway, tidy them up and make sure things are in good shape. Make sure exterior of house (if applicable) is well lit.

Hope this helps!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:50 am
thank you to everyone!

so many helpful tips!

unfortunatly it appears I have expensive taste! everytime I get excited by an item I see, I look at the price... and lets just say, I continue to look elsewhere Sad

Unique

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:53 am
ra_mom wrote:

I'd love this contact info also

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:54 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Not OP but I'd love to hear.

Unique wrote:
I'd love this contact info also

Zebra Homes
917-952-2779
Really good prices that include installation

amother
Azure

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 10:03 am
When we bought our house we did this kind of thing:

Painted all the rooms

Painted all the wood stained (outdated color stain) doors to white. Replaced door knobs and hinges.

Replaced all light switches and plates to be consistent and clean.

Replaced several light fixtures with updated ones.

Replaced knobs on kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities with pulls.

(This is more expensive but was a very worthwhile investment. Also there was white carpet in the dining room and right by front entrance) Pulling up carpet and refinishing existing hardwood.

Replaced window coverings- used a variety of zebra shades, curtains+rods, cellular shades.

My husband had become handy over the years- from lots of googling +experimenting to do most of these things on our own.

Also, we got a new rug, coffee tables, I made some artwork for the walls to add to the decor.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 10:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:

following

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 10:56 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
following

See my post above for Zebra Homes.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 11:33 pm
Renovating my home now.
I'm focusing on one room at a time. It feels less overwhelming that way and keeps the budget in line.
Shein has some really inexpensive household items.
Furniture is a real big expense, so I'm focusing on everything but the furniture.
Another huge expense is window treatments.... wish I cld find something for cheap.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 5:51 am
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
Renovating my home now.
I'm focusing on one room at a time. It feels less overwhelming that way and keeps the budget in line.
Shein has some really inexpensive household items.
Furniture is a real big expense, so I'm focusing on everything but the furniture.
Another huge expense is window treatments.... wish I cld find something for cheap.

Are you able to share some of your SHEIN finds?

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 5:00 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:

I got some new hanging curtains on clearance over the last month, there's a lot of clearance and discounted curtains now. With the pandemic the sales for window treatments decreased and stores are trying to move them out.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:20 pm
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
Are you able to share some of your SHEIN finds?

Have no time now but I'll try! If you see this thread bumped up in a month you'll know why:)

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:28 pm
https://alispecials.com/produc.....inds/

They have some nice light fixtures as well
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics