Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Help me figure out this 3 day chag

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:31 pm
I can keep my hot plate on a timer but most timers seem to be 24 hours, how does that work when you need it for 3 days? I never used one before so maybe I’m not understanding.

I have an oven with Shabbat mode but that turns off after 24 hours. It’s a Siemens oven and I don’t know how to override that.

I can’t keep on a flame because I have a induction stove top. Help and ideas wanted!!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can keep my hot plate on a timer but most timers seem to be 24 hours, how does that work when you need it for 3 days? I never used one before so maybe I’m not understanding.

I have an oven with Shabbat mode but that turns off after 24 hours. It’s a Siemens oven and I don’t know how to override that.

I can’t keep on a flame because I have a induction stove top. Help and ideas wanted!!

Just skip your Shabbos timer on your hot plate.
Just curious, did you buy an induction stove top or it's a part of your kitchen so to say?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:38 pm
A timer will go day after day at the same time. It wont go off after a day.

groovy1224

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The 24 hour cycle will just keep going until unplugged, unless you have a different timer than what I see most people using.

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are you sure you're setting the sabbath mode correctly? It should not auto shut off on sabbath mode, that's half the point of sabbath mode

amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think my MIL has an induction cooktop and she keeps hers on, why specifically are you not able to?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:40 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Just skip your Shabbos timer on your hot plate.
Just curious, did you buy an induction stove top or it's a part of your kitchen so to say?

I’m not comfortable keeping it in for 3 days plus it makes the house really hot.

I rent so I had no say in the stove top. I do love it though!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:40 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
A timer will go day after day at the same time. It wont go off after a day.

Ohhhh!! Thank you!! I just ordered 3 from Amazon. Hope I set it up properly!

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:41 pm
There are 7 day/weekly timers.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:43 pm
Shabbat mode- that’s what I thought but this seams to have a 24 limit.. I will check again.

groovy1224 wrote:
I think my MIL has an induction cooktop and she keeps hers on, why specifically are you not able to?

She keeps it on? How? The minute you touch it something beeps. It’s not Shabbos friendly at all.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Try it before yomtov on a regular weekday to make sure you do it correctly

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:44 pm
Set the 24 hour timer for the same two meal times. It will go on and off at the same times every 24 hours, and will be on at the same times every day.
If your day meal is generally at 12:30pm, have the timer set to go on at 10:30am and go off at 2:30pm every. If your night meal is generally at 9:00pm, have the timer hot plate go on around that as well.

Sometimes I arrange my menu with only the last day meal using the gas range flame for fresh food. I then turn it a flame on the last day using a pre-existing flame I have, and keep it on until YT is over.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Once you have it in your hand, I think it will be obvious to you. Good luck!!! Smile

groovy1224

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Shabbat mode- that’s what I thought but this seams to have a 24 limit.. I will check again.

Maybe try it tonight- put it on sabbath mode and see if it shuts off after 24 hours. It shouldn't if it's working correctly. Do you have the manual? maybe you can check

amother [ OP ] wrote:
She keeps it on? How? The minute you touch it something beeps. It’s not Shabbos friendly at all.

Oh so then maybe hers is different. Her's doesn't do that. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what an induction cooktop is

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m not comfortable keeping it in for 3 days plus it makes the house really hot.

I rent so I had no say in the stove top. I do love it though!

That's why I put it on my closed in porch.
Not every Rav will allow a timer. Do a shayla.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:53 pm
Induction hobs are a problem for shabbos as they detect when the pot is on and will only work when the pot is on. Also they usually will auto shut off after a certain amount of hours.
We bought a cheap plug in electric hob that we can set on a timer to use instead of our normal hob.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 4:03 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Oh so then maybe hers is different. Her's doesn't do that. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what an induction cooktop is

I double checked it definitely goes off after 25 hours. Shabbat mode because the light goes off.

Off topic but how do I reply without losing all the those quotes you quoted??? Or how do I quote 2 separate quotes? And no I’m not new here 😆

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 4:03 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Induction hobs are a problem for shabbos as they detect when the pot is on and will only work when the pot is on. Also they usually will auto shut off after a certain amount of hours.
We bought a cheap plug in electric hob that we can set on a timer to use instead of our normal hob.

That’s an idea! Do you have a link of the one you bought?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 4:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s an idea! Do you have a link of the one you bought?

Sorry it was a few years ago. I think we just searched on amazon for plug in hob and bought whichever looked cheapest and reasonable quality.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 4:49 pm
If you take out your food a couple hours before the meal it usually warms up pretty quick on the platta. Soup sometimes take a bit longer but we have had meat/chicken/sides of rice/vegies warm up within an hour and get quite hot with the platta. Mark all your food (either on tin foil,or tape onto container) which food is for what meal. Great to have a couple fish meals to stay light.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:36 am
Thank you so much all! I feel more confident!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics