Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How to encourage dd to go on playdate

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:35 pm
My dad, 5, is very shy. She has friends in school and on the block, but she would never go to anyone on a play date. There’s a girl in her class with whom she’s very friendly, and she comes to our house sometimes. They keep inviting my daughter, but she refuses to go.
Should I encourage my dd, and somehow convince her to go, or should I just keep it the way it is? I’m not shy at all, so it’s a little difficult for me to understand how to go about it.

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:38 pm
My 4 year old is similar. She is very sociable and has lots of friends but gets very anxious if invited out. I find that if I go with her the first time to a new house, she's usually fine the next time. Sometimes she'll get randomly anxious and we'll just invite the friend here instead but overall if she knows the house/mother already then it's more likely she'll go.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:28 pm
Some of my kids are like this and it's okay, it's just a personality type, more of a home-body type. They loosen up as they get older and will go to some close friends houses now, but still prefer playdates more to be at home than out, and that's okay too. No need to push it.

behappy2

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:33 pm
So so normal at that age!!! Don't label her as shy. Don't feel pressured. It can help if you go over with her. Give her time.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 2:04 pm
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I’ll see if she’ll agree to go if I come along. Otherwise, I guess we’ll host the play dates for now.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 2:50 pm
behappy2 wrote:
Don't label her as shy. .

Nothing wrong with being shy!
Yidden are rachmanim, baishanim and gomlei chasadim
Shyness is a good thing!

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 2:51 pm
To answer op, let her have her friends come to you if she's more comfortable. I wouldn't push her at all to go out if she doesn't want to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers