Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for the right place to move to
1  2  3  Next

working hard

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:29 pm
To make a very long story short, we need to leave our current house by this summer. For various reasons, we do not want to settle where we live now and are looking for the right place to move to.

We are a yeshivish family. My husband is in Kollel for the last 12 years. I have seven kids ages 1-10. We are looking for a community that has an established school system including appropriate placement for my special ed child.

In addition, my husband is looking for a high school Rebbe and/or tutoring job and I am looking for a job in special ed.

We need a place that has opportunities for our children such as night seder programs, Shabbos Pirchie/Bnos...

We prefer something a bit more rural/suburban and hopefully somewhat affordable.

Any ideas?

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:39 pm
Lakewood has all of that.
Try Jackson for more rural, and possibly more affordable.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:51 pm
Chicago has all of that. We have a brand new special ed school opening.

Goldie613

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:03 pm
Kew Gardens Hills (in Queens, NY) has a lot of what you are looking for, but rent can run fairly high...

...then again, rents have been going up everywhere Sad

otstud

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:15 pm
I don't know about the job possibilities, but cleveland is very affordable, good infrastructure, warm community!

twogees

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:20 pm
Chicago has all of that like mha3484 said.

doctorima

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:34 pm
Cleveland and Detroit come to mind as solid and established yet fairly affordable yeshivish OOT communities. If you want a little less urban, Cincinnati and Waterbury could also be options.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 10:08 pm
Can you clarify whether you looking to move OOT or tristate!?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:53 pm
Baltimore sounds like exactly what you're looking for...

Jello

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 3:32 am
doctorima wrote:
Cleveland and Detroit come to mind as solid and established yet fairly affordable yeshivish OOT communities. If you want a little less urban, Cincinnati and Waterbury could also be options.

If you have a child with any kind of special needs, do not come to Waterbury. The school doesn't have the resources and you will not get much from the BOE.

cupcake123

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 3:53 am
Lakewood/jackson area

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 5:34 am
Cleveland
Baltimore
Philadelphia
Cincinnati
Detroit
Chicago
Atlanta
St Louis
Houston
Dallas
Denver
Las Vegas
Phoenix

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 5:37 am
Houston has ZERO services for special needs and the housing situation is out of control

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 5:48 am
The special ed component rules out most OOT communities

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 5:55 am
I just need to laugh at how many posters are calling Lakewood or the surrounding areas "rural/suburban."

OP, Baltimore might be great for you, but it's not rural; do you really mean rural, or just out of town?

mha3484

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 5:56 am
I agree with Hashem Yaazor we are in Chicago and we considered smaller communities and none could match what my kids get unless I wanted to send to public school.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 5:58 am
The area's sound great. Prices is another story. Baltimore is not cheap. (If you are buying a home).

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:01 am
Jello wrote:
If you have a child with any kind of special needs, do not come to Waterbury. The school doesn't have the resources and you will not get much from the BOE.

I wouldn’t go to Cleveland either.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:08 am
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
I just need to laugh at how many posters are calling Lakewood or the surrounding areas "rural/suburban."

OP, Baltimore might be great for you, but it's not rural; do you really mean rural, or just out of town?

Really have you been to Lakewood and it’s surrounding towns? Most of the towns around it that Jews live in are the definition of rural and suburban.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:11 am
Baltimore has all of this. Housing prices have gone up substantially but which thriving frum community has not had this happen over the last 2 years? It has many types from chasidish to JPF and it's a matter of finding your niche/area. From your description it seems like you might be happy in the Park Heights area, especially Menlo. Baltimore has an excellent established frum special needs school called JEWELS, similar to SCHI in Lakewood. There are also special needs/ learning differences classroom settings within some of the mainstream schools for children who can thrive in a regular school. The "G" class in Bais Yaakov or Tiferes Golda in Bnos Yisroel come to mind. I think some of the boys yeshivas have similar classes as well.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating