Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Pre-K for All and yeshivos in Brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 3:25 pm
I applied to prek and got a acceptance directly from the city, but not the school.

Does that make sense?
What does that mean?

Thanks!

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:54 pm
It means you have a slot, no the school needs to accept you.
Call them

naomi2

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:23 pm
If you are talking about upk most school charge full or most tuition anyway there are only very few who have offer a free program

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:29 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
It means you have a slot, no the school needs to accept you.
Call them

The letter says that accepting the offer is securing the slot.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:30 pm
naomi2 wrote:
If you are talking about upk most school charge full or most tuition anyway there are only very few who have offer a free program

Yes, I am referring to upkeep.
How is that legal?

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:31 pm
naomi2 wrote:

Not really. Tuition is $6k-$12k, they charge about $1000 per child in the UPK program. When I questioned why I'm getting charged at all they said it's for the extra hours (school hours are 9-4 and the program hours were 9:15-2:30).

nicole81

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:57 pm
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
Not really. Tuition is $6k-$12k, they charge about $1000 per child in the UPK program. When I questioned why I'm getting charged at all they said it's for the extra hours (school hours are 9-4 and the program hours were 9:15-2:30).

Your school is lying to you. A full day prek program is 6h20m.

Tuition also depends on the schoo for a number of reasons. I paid 6k for upk and I was happy to in order for my child to have a longer day, a dual curriculum, kosher hot meals, frum teachers, etc.

A lot of the funding given to upk programs is meant to be spent on specific curricula and higher teacher salaries. Pretty much everything religious has to be paid for our of pocket, including teacher salary if there's a specific teacher for judaic studies. And since that's the case, many school pasken that they should only apply to be a half day prek program. Those that do a full day and receive full day funding, should legally only be doing religious instruction, brachas, etc, after the first 6h20m of school. And of course there are schools that don't... They're stealing from the government on top of charging the parents.

OP- you're guaranteed a slot but that doesn't mean in a frum school. If you applied in myschools, your letter should literally have a school attached to it. Log into your myschools account to see. Did a specific school tell you to apply and choose them? Why did you apply through the city if not?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:05 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Your school is lying to you. A full day prek program is 6h20m.

Tuition also depends on the schoo for a number of reasons. I paid 6k for upk and I was happy to in order for my child to have a longer day, a dual curriculum, kosher hot meals, frum teachers, etc.

A lot of the funding given to upk programs is meant to be spent on specific curricula and higher teacher salaries. Pretty much everything religious has to be paid for our of pocket, including teacher salary if there's a specific teacher for judaic studies. And since that's the case, many school pasken that they should only apply to be a half day prek program. Those that do a full day and receive full day funding, should legally only be doing religious instruction, brachas, etc, after the first 6h20m of school. And of course there are schools that don't... They're stealing from the government on top of charging the parents.

OP- you're guaranteed a slot but that doesn't mean in a frum school. If you applied in myschools, your letter should literally have a school attached to it. Log into your myschools account to see. Did a specific school tell you to apply and choose them? Why did you apply through the city if not?

Thank you for your help.
Yes, my letter has a school attached to it. A frum school.
I wrote down the list of the schools I was applying to this year. I didnt know it made a difference applying directly through the city or not.

so basically my question is, if I have an acceptance letter at a frum school, does that guarantee a slot? (because according to the letter from nyc, it seems it does)

naomi2

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:16 pm
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:

Who is "they" that you are talking about that charges $1000? You realize every school decides on their own how much to charge on top of upk.

nicole81

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for your help.
Yes, my letter has a school attached to it. A frum school.
I wrote down the list of the schools I was applying to this year. I didnt know it made a difference applying directly through the city or not.

so basically my question is, if I have an acceptance letter at a frum school, does that guarantee a slot? (because according to the letter from nyc, it seems it does)

It should guarantee the spot. I'm not sure though what, if any, discretion schools have on the back end to refuse placements. I know in unscreened public high schools, we can't refuse anyone the doe places.

Did you get into that school through the regular registration process? Are you asking more out of concern of your child getting in, or about tuition?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:24 pm
nicole81 wrote:
It should guarantee the spot. I'm not sure though what, if any, discretion schools have on the back end to refuse placements. I know in unscreened public high schools, we can't refuse anyone the doe places.

Did you get into that school through the regular registration process? Are you asking more out of concern of your child getting in, or about tuition?

I did not get into the school through the regular registration process. I am asking more about the concern of getting in.

paperflowers

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:26 am
I think the schools try to fill their own slots before city registration opens because they can place anyone in an open slot. I think if the DOE says you have a slot the school needs to accept you, but that’s not how they usually do it.

nicole81

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 3:21 pm
paperflowers wrote:
I think the schools try to fill their own slots before city registration opens because they can place anyone in an open slot. I think if the DOE says you have a slot the school needs to accept you, but that’s not how they usually do it.

Agreed. If you want to go there, I think you found your in. Or you can send to a different school if you'd prefer. If you have the time and you happen to remember, I would love to hear what happens if you end up calling the school and asserting your slot. I'm very curious if the pre K centers are held to the same rules as any other public placement.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers