Home

Overwhelmed with idea of cooking milchigs
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:36 pm
We are having guests for Shavuos and there is an expectation all around to serve milchig meals. I have lots of fleishig recipes but not milchigs. I also do not have access to a milchig oven. I can make things on the stove or toaster oven. I need simple no fail recipes but even that is questionable if it will work for me. Something like making blintzes would not be possible, too hard to make, I tried once and they looked ridiculous. Any ideas? I also prefer to cook in advance and then reheat in sterno's on YT" but I can cook day of if I have to.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:40 pm
Think of which meals will be milk. Is it a night meal? Will things have time to heat.
I like to have a lot f pareve dishes I can either serve cold or heat double wrapped

Strawberry soup or pareve soup
Salad with dairy topping - like feta cheese
Pareve quiche
Salmon or fish tacos (make your own fish tacos is a fun meal)
Pasta - cook in advance. Keep sauce seperate. Heat sauce in aluminum pan on blech. Pour hot water from kettle over pasta to refresh. Drain. Add hot sauce right before serving.

I’d skip thick dishes that take long time to heat like lasagna

Sometimes I buy blintzes. It’s not cheap. But making blintzes is also expensive. I reheat on blech.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:42 pm
I usually make penne a la vodka or fettuccine alfredo, cream of (insert vegetable) soup, Greek or Caesar salad. Then add a fish (salmon or tuna steaks) and a vegetable. Bought blintzes to start the meal with. Cheese cake to end the meal with (would you like a no bake recipe?).

For the pasta I cook it parve before YT, rinse with cold water and drain. Then toss with some olive oil, place in a large ziploc bag, squeeze out air and zip closed. Refrigerate.

Then all you have to do is pour an urn of boiling water over a collander in the sink of cooked pasta to refresh and heat it. And mix and heat the sauce fresh on the plata, then pour over the hot pasta.

For the soup, I make it parve and add the dairy once it's heated through.

Salad is simple to assemble.

How many dairy meals do you expect to serve?
Back to top

imasinger




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:44 pm
My favorite stovetop milchigs--
Fettuccine Alfredo
Your favorite cream soup
Omelette

And you can't go wrong with ice cream or fresh fruit and whipped cream for dessert.
Back to top

gootlfriends




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:48 pm
They expect milchig? What does that mean? My husband doesn't go for milchig so we do 2/4 meals pareve with dairy dessert (store bought). You do what works for you. I make salmon, vegetable soup, a Kugel and another side. If they want dairy they can bring food.
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:50 pm
I think for dairy meals having one dairy thing and the rest pareve is often the best way to do it. Otherwise it’s too heavy in my opinion. So you could make pareve things like salmon, sweet potatoes, green beans with a nice greek salad that has feta cheese and a dairy dessert like cheesecake or ice cream sundaes.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:51 pm
Can I get the no bake cheesecake recipe. Appreciate every response, it is giving me ideas and some hope. Is there a simple quiche recipe without mushrooms that I can make in a toaster oven?
The plan would be 2 milchig meals (that's the most I am willing to do).
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:51 pm
Other ideas are French onion soup, stovetop lasagna, stovetop Mac and cheese, sautéed zucchini with Parmesan cheese, Caesar salad
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can I get the no bake cheesecake recipe. Appreciate every response, it is giving me ideas and some hope. Is there a simple quiche recipe without mushrooms that I can make in a toaster oven?
The plan would be 2 milchig meals (that's the most I am willing to do).

No bake cheesecake
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....80935
You need to give it a day in the fridge for the liquid to set into a cheesecake.

No bake cheese pie. Keep frozen and only put in refrigerator 1 hour before serving, when you thaw it slightly.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....59313


Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, May 20 2022, 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Midnight
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 7:27 pm
Also there’s no such thing as a milchigs oven. Unless you have crusted food on the bottom of your oven (which, well, you should clean), you can bake whatever you want in it.
Back to top

amother




Oleander
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 7:28 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
Also there’s no such thing as a milchigs oven. Unless you have crusted food on the bottom of your oven (which, well, you should clean), you can bake whatever you want in it.

Not every Rav agrees with this, but many do so it is worth asking!
Back to top

scruffy




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 7:29 pm
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
Not every Rav agrees with this, but many do so it is worth asking!


Agreed! I was really surprised with the answer we got when we asked...

Before that I was struggling with my tiny toaster oven.
Back to top

amother




Coral
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 7:31 pm
I like to start of the meal with a chilled fruit soup like a strawberry soup. Alternatively you can make a cream of something dairy soup. Then I do to do a really nice fish that’s cooked in butter. A yummy dairy salad like ceasar or Greek. I double cover to warm up a quiche or pasta dish. Cheesecake for dessert and done.
Back to top

amother




NeonPurple
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 7:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I usually make penne a la vodka or fettuccine alfredo, cream of (insert vegetable) soup, Greek or Caesar salad. Then add a fish (salmon or tuna steaks) and a vegetable. Bought blintzes to start the meal with. Cheese cake to end the meal with (would you like a no bake recipe?).

For the pasta I cook it parve before YT, rinse with cold water and drain. Then toss with some olive oil, place in a large ziploc bag, squeeze out air and zip closed. Refrigerate.

Then all you have to do is pour an urn of boiling water over a collander in the sink of cooked pasta to refresh and heat it. And mix and heat the sauce fresh on the plata, then pour over the hot pasta.

For the soup, I make it parve and add the dairy once it's heated through.

Salad is simple to assemble.

How many dairy meals do you expect to serve?

Great ideas but I’m pretty sure you can’t use a collander on YT. Ask your Rav to confirm. What I’ve done in the past is leave the pasta in the closed ziploc and submerge it in the hot water from the urn or even the faucet. You might need to do it twice to get it hot enough. Enjoy !
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:01 pm
I've learned the opposite. That is totally fine to strain noodles on YT with a strainer when it couldn't have been done beforehand.
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:16 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
Great ideas but I’m pretty sure you can’t use a collander on YT. Ask your Rav to confirm. What I’ve done in the past is leave the pasta in the closed ziploc and submerge it in the hot water from the urn or even the faucet. You might need to do it twice to get it hot enough. Enjoy !


I second that. I find cooking pasta on yom tov itself a little complicated because of that, but definitely ask. Thanks Neon for the tip about how to warm already cooked pasta, I'm going to try that and I'll see neon purple as I do Very Happy
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:17 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
Also there’s no such thing as a milchigs oven. Unless you have crusted food on the bottom of your oven (which, well, you should clean), you can bake whatever you want in it.


Many ppl are makpid on steam for 24 hours. Some only if liquid. Some even if no liquid.

Most ppl don’t switch back and forth meat to milk immediately.
Back to top

amother




Midnight
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:24 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Many ppl are makpid on steam for 24 hours. Some only if liquid. Some even if no liquid.

Most ppl don’t switch back and forth meat to milk immediately.


I asked a shaylah about my oven that was still warm from cooking meat and asked if I could cook milchigs in it. He said sure, just not at the same time.

He’s a pretty strict Rav. Insists on faucet filters and strainers on Pesach, no warming drawers on shabbos, etc.

He said nobody ever used to have two ovens this is a recent invention. He said it’s better to have two microwaves and one oven than the reverse.
Back to top

amother




Arcticblue
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:25 pm
You could have a delicious meal with some milchig without actually cooking any dairy.
Last year I made a delicious parev meal (fish, salads, sides etc), that could all be cooked in my fleishig oven and stove etc. Plus I used my regular shabbos dishes - I don’t have enough or especially nice milchig dishes.
For dessert, we cleared everything off the table and had a milchig dessert.

Or just thinking now, a beautiful cheeseboard could be a great appetiser, followed by a parev main.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:26 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
Great ideas but I’m pretty sure you can’t use a collander on YT. Ask your Rav to confirm. What I’ve done in the past is leave the pasta in the closed ziploc and submerge it in the hot water from the urn or even the faucet. You might need to do it twice to get it hot enough. Enjoy !

On Y"T borer does not apply when it comes to food. As an aside all cooking utensils and measuring instruments are allowed to be used on Yom Tov as well.
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 5 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Help!! Overwhelmed with car seat info
by amother
7 Today at 4:28 am View last post
$50 gift idea
by amother
3 Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:57 pm View last post
Appetizer idea for siyum hashas
by amother
9 Sun, Aug 07 2022, 7:59 pm View last post
Need a Non-Shaitel Haircovering Idea!
by amother
20 Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:51 am View last post
"This is your legacy" Gift Idea
by amother
19 Wed, Jul 13 2022, 3:00 pm View last post