Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Basic OA question

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:54 pm
Can I do OA without doing the weighing and measuring?
I want to do the 12 step program part and the support part, and I'm even ok with no sugar part but I refuse to do the weighing and measuring. Does that mean I cannot do OA?
And if I can, where can I find an OA group that supports this exception?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:47 pm
I did that for ten years. I am not in oa anymore but I don’t weigh and measure now either.

I found sponsors who were ok with it.

amother
Strawberry

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 5:49 am
That will depend on the nature of your interactions and behaviors with food. If you are ready to be completely honest about that then you can look for a sponsor who is willing to work with you in that way. OA itself doesn't push a specific food plan. For many OA members that is not an option as volume is also a trigger just like specific foods are. That may or may not be for you but it will take honesty to truly uncover that.
You can always try a meeting and see what resonates with you, how badly you want it and what steps you are willing to take to get there. ..
Hatzlocha!

amother
Jade

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 7:55 am
What strawberry said. And usually your food plan and amounts etc is usually what your sponsor does, so you need to ask around until you find someone that's working the program the way you want to. In my experience, my sponsors would only sponsor me according to what they do. (Except in pregnancy they're usually ok with a plan recommended by Dr or nutritionist). One sponsor didn't allow me strawberries because for her it's a trigger food and she didn't want to even hear the word- that I felt was unhealthy and unfair I didn't stay with her for long... But you can definitely find your niche in OA it's a wide range.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 8:46 am
I don't mind rough portion sizes, I just don't want to weigh and measure.
What a my next step to finding a sponsor who will be ok with this?

amother
Jade

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 9:41 am
Listen to meetings and get phone numbers from women you like what they said. Then you talk to them privately see if they're available to sponsor and you ask how they sponsor and if they're willing to work with you the way you want. It may take some time to find someone but don't give up.

Side question- to ask yourself- why do you not want to weigh and measure- is it an aspect of being unwilling to fully surrender?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise