Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Potato kugel turning gray no matter what I do

PeanutMama

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 8:38 am
Anyway how to fix this? I always made it with the regular recipe but since after pesach my kugel has been really gray on the inside that I can’t even look at it let alone eat it. Before it was white on the inside.

Is it an issue with the oven? I preheat it before I put it in.

boymom

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 8:42 am
I think it’s the potatoes. I’ve been using the regular brown big potatoes and since Pesach my kugel is grayer and drier. I switched to the yellow potatoes (I didn’t have enough so I used 3 brown and equivalent to 7 big potatoes I used yellow) and my kugel came out beyond good. The color was slightly more yellow and was moist And fluffy. Ahhhhh!

Cookie Monster

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 8:51 am
You can try adding vitamin C powder. Also preheat the oven on the highest temperature before prepping the kugel.

simcha4

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 9:03 am
I've also had my potato kugel turning grey while raw and I've heard from others who experienced it too. It's the type of potato you're using. I switched to different potatoes and my p.kugels are white inside, b'H.
The problem is that in the yarkanim where I shop there aren't several types of potatoes so I always hope/daven that the potatoes they're selling will make a white kugel.

Hatzlacha! be'H.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 9:20 am
Make the egg mixture first, then shred potatoes then quickly add to the egg mixture.

nicole81

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 9:27 am
If you're not already soaking your peeled potatoes in a bowl of ice water, then start there. If using a food processor, the potatoes should all be diced/chunked and waiting in that cold water before you shred your first one.

Have all your other ingredients prepped and mixed and shredded (if you use onion) and ready to go. Don't work anywhere near your oven to keep ingredients as cool as possible. Once you remove your first batch of potatoes to shred, work as quickly as possible. Bake on at least 400, fully preheated.

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 9:32 am
I found that I used to mix my kugel in the pan and it always turned gray. I started mixing it in a plastic bowl and only transfer it to the pan when ready to pop into the oven. No more gray!

Maybe aluminum oxidizes it or something? No clue. But that worked for me.

imafriend

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 9:38 am
add an 1/8 of a teaspoon vitamin c powder.
You can buy it in the health food store.
(It might come with a tiny scoop which is great too.)

tweety1

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 9:48 am
imafriend wrote:
add an 1/8 of a teaspoon vitamin c powder.
You can buy it in the health food store.
(It might come with a tiny scoop which is great too.)

This is real magic. Maxi health vitamin c powder comes with a tiny scoop. One scoop. Doesn't effect taste at all.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 10:30 am
Yes. I do the onions. Heat the oil.
Add the oil to the food processor
Then add the potatoes then eggs salt and pepper (it already in the eggs I just felt it’s faster that way) then I mix it and put it in the very hot oven. I preheat it to 450-500

PeanutMama

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 10:31 am
tweety1 wrote:
This is real magic. Maxi health vitamin c powder comes with a tiny scoop. One scoop. Doesn't effect taste at all.

Thanks! I’ll try this

jewishmom6

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 10:32 am
use yukon gold potatoes.

sky

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 10:51 am
I use any cheap potatoes.
Immediately after peeling I put in bucket of water.
First grate onions.
Grate potatoes straight from water. Quickly mix with onions. Bake immediately.

My grandmother was really proud of her white kugels and she really used the cheapest potatoes. Her trick was to alternate grating potatoes and onions so the blades had the onion juice. But I don’t have the patience.

nicole81

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 3:31 pm
Always LOL wrote:
Then add the potatoes then eggs salt and pepper (it already in the eggs I just felt it’s faster that way) then I mix it and put it in the very hot oven. I preheat it to 450-500

You process the potatoes with the hot oil? That alone would cause it to brown and then gray. The graying is caused by potatoes sitting to long at a warm temperature that doesn't cook them. Even room temperature is too warm for them.

Yukon gold potatoes are delicious, but you can make a great kugel with the cheapest brown potatoes (Idaho, russet, or whatever they're called) if you keep the potatoes cold and moist from the second the peel is off, until the very last step.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 3:34 pm
Always LOL wrote:

Peel potatoes. Keep in cold water.
Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
Process the onions. Keep in the food processor. Add the potatoes and process.
Pour the onion, potato mixture into the egg mixture bowl and mix well. Quickly add in salt and pepper. Last swirl in the hot oil, mixing well. Quickly pour batter into the baking pan and put into hot oven.

girlishmom

Post Sat, May 21 2022, 10:21 pm
I have the same thing since pesach my kugels are grey and dry. I didn't change anything. And I use the Yukon gold-I think the potatoes are not the same as always because they look different too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes