Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bike safety!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:54 pm
How can I teach my kids bike safety!?!
Today I went biking with my 9 year old. I've gone over the rules with him, he knows he's supposed to stop and check for cars before crossing the street etc.

Anyways, we're almost home when he suddenly flys off the sidewalk and straight into the street to cross over to our side. A car literally almost hit him!!!! BH, BH, the car slammed on the breaks and he was fine. Similar incidents have happened before, but never this close. And I was right behind him and screamed at him to stop!
I have no idea what to do. Should I just not let him bike until he's 15? How do I see so many other kids his age flying around the streets on their bikes or biking to school by themselves!?

I feel like showing him a traumatizing video of a kid who got into a bike accident. I know that sounds crazy but I literally think it's pikauch Nefesh. Please help! Sad

amother
Skyblue

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:56 pm
When my kids don't use their bikes safely, they lose their biking privileges for a while. No helmet, no bike, no crossing carefully, no bike.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:59 pm
I remind them of the rules every time they take their bikes out. And if they can't listen they lose the opportunity to ride.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:01 pm
Natural consequences. If he can’t follow the rules & be safe, no bike riding allowed for XYZ time until he has demonstrated he’ll be safe & listen. That’s what I would do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics