Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Healthier recipes for my schnitzel loving husband
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 9:12 am
Hi all I’m looking for healthier dinner ideas.
I’m a quinoa type of girl married to a schnitzel sandwich type of guy Wink
I need some ideas that won’t be too crunchy granola for him
BH I’m a pretty good cook I’m open to anything
Tyia!!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 9:32 am
Not the lowest calorie but healthier: Dredge cutlets in seasoned oil and ww mixture, coat with cornflake crumbs, BAKE.
Grill with great marinade. (Everything spice in the marinade is great.)

scruffy

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 9:44 am
Also have a schnitzel loving dh Smile

Shwarma seasoned cutlets with whole wheat pita techina and Israeli salad
Poke bowls (with brown rice)
Burritos with whole grain tortillas (can go dairy, breakfast style with scrambled eggs, or use meat or chicken)

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 4:12 am
Bump

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:00 am
Shnitzel baked in oven...
Dh has a sandwich, you have a shnitzel salad?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:18 am
Not the healthiest, but I guess healthier.
dip cutlets in flour or potato starch, egg, ground almond, and fry. or on betty crocker

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:22 am
If you’re gonna do shnitzel, at least bake instead of frying. Use coconut oil/avocado oil instead of canola.

(My baking method - bake covered for a whole so it gets soft- then uncover and broil for a few min to crisp the outside)

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:16 am
Baked garlic shnitzel from Dinner Done

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:27 am
Marinated grilled baby chicken kebabs
Burgers (no filler, can mix beef and chicken) with sour dough rolls and all the fixins
Honey soy ginger velveted sesame style chicken
Mushroom rice
Sticky short grain brown rice
Roasted baby potatoes
Beef tacos with your own seasoning mix
Baked schnitzel marinated in seasoned beaten eggs and dredged with well seasoned breadcrumbs (colored well with paprika and sesame seeds added), brushed with oil

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:48 am
Im reading these and it’s like- now DH won’t eat- next. nope, next…..
I might have the pickiest DH- but he is happy to go out and get himself the same schnitzel sandwich every night.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:11 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
Im reading these and it’s like- now DH won’t eat- next. nope, next…..
I might have the pickiest DH- but he is happy to go out and get himself the same schnitzel sandwich every night.

Same. I don't bother. I make him a dinner he likes and make myself a healthier option. Homemade is at least healthier than eating out. My dh is super picky there is no hope in changing it. No point getting annoyed about something like that.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:22 am
How about a chicken salad? Make a big salad and add cut up shnitzel or cutlets grilled on a George Foreman on top.

jj1236

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:28 am
Get an air fryer. It tastes just as it would fried! I love my air fryer and never fry in oil anymore.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:22 am
Thanks so much for all the ideas! I rlly appreciate:)Smile

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:59 am
This recipe is a great healthy substitute for schnitzel:

Get ground dark chicken meat, make into patties. Cover sides with oat flour and use a non stick pan to cook it.

No need to add oil or water, the fat from the chicken melts and that cooks the meat.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:00 pm
Potato starch, eggs, and fullnfree crumb coating, fried in coconut oil or sprayed with avocado oil and baked. Perfectly healthy in my book.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:08 pm
A while ago an amother mentioned she coats her schnitzel in quinoa, so that might be bridging the gap for both of you 😉.

That said, I would not coat in quinoa, but have used wheat germ or ground flax seeds in combo with bread crumbs or instead of flour. I spray a little bit of oil on a parchment paper in the Betty Crocker pizza maker and haven’t fried in years (before that I would do it in the oven, but like it better this way).

I also add ground flax seeds or kasha to my chicken or tuna patties and it makes for a very fluffy delicious mixture (and also “fry” in Betty Crocker).

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:39 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
A while ago an amother mentioned she coats her schnitzel in quinoa, so that might be bridging the gap for both of you 😉.

That said, I would not coat in quinoa, but have used wheat germ or ground flax seeds in combo with bread crumbs or instead of flour. I spray a little bit of oil on a parchment paper in the Betty Crocker pizza maker and haven’t fried in years (before that I would do it in the oven, but like it better this way).

I also add ground flax seeds or kasha to my chicken or tuna patties and it makes for a very fluffy delicious mixture (and also “fry” in Betty Crocker).

yeah that was me.

why wouldn't you?

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:56 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Potato starch, eggs, and fullnfree crumb coating, fried in coconut oil or sprayed with avocado oil and baked. Perfectly healthy in my book.

If someone doesn’t have celiacs and it is not preach,
what are you gaining with potato starch? Is it higher in fiber? A good source of vitamin C?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 3:08 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
If someone doesn’t have celiacs and it is not preach,
what are you gaining with potato starch? Is it higher in fiber? A good source of vitamin C?

You gain nothing if you use potato starch, you lose.
Wheat flour is a good source of protein, potato starch has much less protein.
Whole wheat flour is a great source of fiber, potato starch has almost none, even regular white flour has more fiber than potato starch.
Whole wheat flour contains iron and B vitamins, potato starch is much lower in these.
Potato starch is higher in carbs and because it's so low in fiber those carbs are metabolized very quickly which is not good for your insulin levels.
Potato starch does contain Vitamin C but there are much better sources.
Replacing regular flour with whole wheat flour is a good idea. Using potato starch is a bad idea unless it's Pesach and you don't eat gebroktz, or if you have celiac disease or other gluten intolerance.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics