Home

Grocery shopping with newborn
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


stillnewlywed




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:41 pm
I don't do any major shopping myself with a baby, but for a smaller shopping trip I put the carseat in the back of the wagon and then put the items in the seat and around the carseat.
Or if your carseat snaps into a base, you can skip the wagon and put the items in the base basket.
Back to top

amother




Garnet
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:50 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
If you look at the warning label on the seat of shopping carts, many have a warning not to put an infant seat in the front. I don’t know why they all don’t.


Grocery carts in many stores (target, Wal-Mart, local supermarkets) come with attached car seat in the front where kids usually sit. If it wouldn't be safe, it wouldn't be manufactured. And if it's safe for big toddlers to sit in front of the cart, it's definitely safe to put a car seat in there. A car seat with an infant inside, weighs 1/2 the amount as a toddler does.
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:56 pm
amother [ Garnet ] wrote:
Grocery carts in many stores (target, Wal-Mart, local supermarkets) come with attached car seat in the front where kids usually sit. If it wouldn't be safe, it wouldn't be manufactured. And if it's safe for big toddlers to sit in front of the cart, it's definitely safe to put a car seat in there. A car seat with an infant inside, weighs 1/2 the amount as a toddler does.


The ones built with the baby seat attached are specially made to be safe. Your car seat may not fit the same, balance correctly etc. And yes, they can and do tip over.
A toddler sits on it differently than a car seat would be perched. Center of balance and gravitational pull is all different. Plus if someone knocks into my cart the car seat can move.

I use a baby carrier or stick the car seat in the huge basket and just put groceries around the baby or under the basket. Or my own reusable shopping bag in the front part where toddlers sit (we need to bring our own bags where I live anyways).
Back to top

ray family




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 1:20 pm
I wore my babies. Baby is comforted bm by being in you, and you have two free hands
Back to top

happy chick




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 1:26 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Put the carseat in the front part of the wagon where you would put your kids when they can sit. Like that you have the entire wagon for your groceries. Also, the doona clicks into it and is a pretty safe option.


Please don't do this. I see so many ppl who do, and it's always so scary for me. What happens when c"v something falls off a shelf? I don't want to think about it...

I see many ppl pushing a stroller and with the other hand pulling a shopping cart.
Back to top

amother




Garnet
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 1:35 pm
happy chick wrote:
Please don't do this. I see so many ppl who do, and it's always so scary for me. What happens when c"v something falls off a shelf? I don't want to think about it...

I see many ppl pushing a stroller and with the other hand pulling a shopping cart.


If something falls off a shelf, it can fall in the stroller just as well...... or on the child that sitting in the cart, or on yourself.
Back to top

ShishKabob




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 1:43 pm
amother [ Garnet ] wrote:
If something falls off a shelf, it can fall in the stroller just as well...... or on the child that sitting in the cart, or on yourself.
I'm not 'chapping' the logic either, but I'm always open to learning something new.
Back to top

amother




Narcissus
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 1:45 pm
amother [ Garnet ] wrote:
Grocery carts in many stores (target, Wal-Mart, local supermarkets) come with attached car seat in the front where kids usually sit. If it wouldn't be safe, it wouldn't be manufactured. And if it's safe for big toddlers to sit in front of the cart, it's definitely safe to put a car seat in there. A car seat with an infant inside, weighs 1/2 the amount as a toddler does.

The one attached permanently is distributed accordingly. Plenty of things that aren’t safe in one circumstance are manufactured because they are safe in other circumstances. Soon as are not safe to use for many hours, but they are manufactured. A toddler sitting appropriately in the front has their weight distributed evenly and appropriately. The cart is designed for that. It’s not about how much it weighs, but about how the weight is distributed. A shopping cart whit a built in car seat has the weight evenly and appropriately figured into the design.
I looked up two infant seats so far- Graco and maxi-cosy. Bot state clearly in the user manual NOT to put the infant seat in the front part of the shopping cart. I’m sure most, if not all, others say it as well.
Back to top

ShishKabob




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 1:53 pm
If I want to put 5 bags of 5 lbs of Idaho Potatoes in that 'toddler' seat, do you think it' would be dangerous and the wagon would tip over?
Back to top

amother




Indigo
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 1:56 pm
I push the stroller in front of me and pull the cart behind me. Or vice versa.

With my first, I had a stroller with a huge basket. Would put everything in the basket under the stroller.

Another option is to get velcro hooks for the handle of the stroller and put the basket on the hooks...but be careful it doesn't get too heavy or it can tip.
Back to top

amother




Narcissus
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 2:06 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
If I want to put 5 bags of 5 lbs of Idaho Potatoes in that 'toddler' seat, do you think it' would be dangerous and the wagon would tip over?

Again, you’re putting it IN the seat, not ON the seat. Eventually though, if you make the seat too heavy, yes the cart may tip.
Back to top

mommyhood




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 2:46 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
If I want to put 5 bags of 5 lbs of Idaho Potatoes in that 'toddler' seat, do you think it' would be dangerous and the wagon would tip over?

It's not the same distribution of weight but even if it was and if the flour falls, no harm done, if a baby falls from that height it could be very harmful. I have an immediate family member that was pushing a cart with a car seat perched on top and the car seat fell off onto the pavement. B'H baby was ok but she had to run to the doctor and it was very traumatic.
Back to top

amother




Scarlet
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:45 pm
I don't know if car seat on toddler seat is safe. However, in all my years of shopping, with & without carseats & with various items all throughout the cart I've never come close to witnessing a shopping cart tipping over. Seriously, what type of carts do they have at your store?????
Back to top

amother




Narcissus
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:52 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I don't know if car seat on toddler seat is safe. However, in all my years of shopping, with & without carseats & with various items all throughout the cart I've never come close to witnessing a shopping cart tipping over. Seriously, what type of carts do they have at your store?????

I’ve seen carts tip a few times, it’s very very scary. BH the babies have all been fine, scared but no serious injuries. It’s not faulty carts, it’s added, unevenly distributed weight.
Back to top

amother




Foxglove
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:52 pm
Have the same problem. Car seat does not sit nicely in the main big part of the shopping cart. It rocks to and fro and doesn’t look safe. Anyone else hade that issue? For that reason I don’t do any large shopping myself. I just put the items in the basket at the bottom of my stroller. My husband needs to handle the large shopping or we go together and one of us pushes the carriage and the other one the cart
Back to top

amother




Narcissus
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:55 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
Have the same problem. Car seat does not sit nicely in the main big part of the shopping cart. It rocks to and fro and doesn’t look safe. Anyone else hade that issue? For that reason I don’t do any large shopping myself. I just put the items in the basket at the bottom of my stroller. My husband needs to handle the large shopping or we go together and one of us pushes the carriage and the other one the cart

Rocking is most likely not an issue. The car seat is probably not rocking fast or hard enough for it to be dangerous. Do you never rock the car seat while your baby is in it? I don’t generally keep my babies in car seats for extended periods of time, but if my baby is in the car seat and is fussy, I may rock it a bit.
Back to top

adar




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 10:15 pm
I wore my babies or used one hand to push the cart and one to push the carriage. It's hard but only lasts about 6 months.

Please do not put the infant car seat in the kids seat. A car seat plus baby can be 15lbs thats a lot of weight and not evenly distributed. I've caught a baby while the cart was tipping over. (Mother was in the aisle shopping)

https://carseatblog.com/38666/.....arts/
Back to top

amother




Poinsettia
 

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 10:25 pm
Where I live oot the carts have bases for car seats. Or people put the car seat sideways in the back, resting on top of the cart and put things underneath. I’ve never had a cart tip over Baruch HaShem bli ayin hara. Or people wear the baby.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Yidels Grocery
by amother
30 Yesterday at 7:40 pm View last post
Vaccine newborn at the hospital?
by amother
89 Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:20 am View last post
Shopping for camp in Brooklyn (girls, budget)
by amother
9 Tue, Jun 21 2022, 11:22 am View last post
Newborn Girl Clothing Brooklyn
by amother
4 Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:24 pm View last post
I love shopping on aliexpress. AMA
by helpful
879 Thu, Jun 16 2022, 11:04 am View last post