Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Resume dos and don'ts

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:42 pm
I'm back in the job market after a long tenure at my previous/current job. As I'm updating my dusty resume, was wondering if anyone can provide pointers on resume dos and don'ts.

For example, - do you list references straight out or say that they are available by request?

Another question - I have more than 15 years experience in my current field. Do I still include my fieldwork placements from my college days or at this point is that not considered relevant information?

Also, I took off a couple years to be mother, about 10 years ago. Do I mention anything about that on my resume, or just list the jobs I've had with a two year gap in the ending date of one job to the starting date of the next job?

Any other advice?

zaq

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:44 pm
Skip the college fieldwork, no longer relevant.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 5:07 pm
Don’t write references available upon request. Either put them on or don’t put them on. Either way is fine.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 5:11 pm
I write resumes for a living. Don't put references on your resume. By request is just a formality. You can put it on or leave it off.

I only put college field work on a resume if its someone's first or second job. I would not include it once you have as much experience as you do.

If you took time off 10 years ago, I think its fine to just not say anything. 10 years of a solid work history is really good.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 5:11 pm
I wouldn't address the two year gap unless asked.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:29 pm
Thanks for the advice so far!

Can someone explain the no references thing? If I have a solid good reference, don't I want to give them option to call/email her?

Also, do I include a cover letter or is that not necessary?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the advice so far!

Can someone explain the no references thing? If I have a solid good reference, don't I want to give them option to call/email her?

Also, do I include a cover letter or is that not necessary?

References are not really a thing anymore unless you work in a super small field where everyone knows everyone. Interviewers/recruiters will judge off only what they see which is why presentation is so important

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:33 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
References are not really a thing anymore unless you work in a super small field where everyone knows everyone. Interviewers/recruiters will judge off only what they see which is why presentation is so important

Cover letter it depends. If applying blindly/online then yes its crucial. If having your resume submitted directly to a recruiter/ through a personal referall then not as much.

seeker

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Because they're automatically going to either ask for references or reach out to your employer. You don't have to say "available upon request" because it's assumed that if they ask, you will provide. Many companies have an application or intake form that includes asking for references. Including references on the resume takes up valuable space which lessens the impact of the more important information on there.

If you have reason to think that your reference is especially impressive in your field or in the company you're applying to, then go for it. Otherwise, meh. I don't think it's a major faux pas but it's wasted space.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:41 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:

I am applying blindly but I think I can make my point in the two sentence objective on my resume. Is that enough?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am applying blindly but I think I can make my point in the two sentence objective on my resume. Is that enough?

Its important to have a cover letter especially if you're applying blindly to big companies, since sometimes they'll just kinda skim your resume and cover letter for 'buzzwords' so you want to make sure that you get as many of those as you can in there. A cover letter just gives you more opportunity to do so and also lets you talk about how awesome you are and why you want to work for company x so badly.
100% not required at all but will only improve your chances!!

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 10:36 pm
“Objective” is outdated; use Summary of Qualifications instead, and provide a concise description of your skills, strengths, and goals for employment. Use buzzwords here.

Hatzlocha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics