Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Fund for Imamothers struggling
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:55 pm
I have maaser money that I'd love to give to fellow imamothers. I don't want to send to each one individually because of security concerns and time constraints. Can Imamother start a fund - connected to the donor fund so that I can easily wire money each month.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 4:37 pm
I love this idea (and would be happy to contribute to the fund) but this is asking Yael (or someone else?) to take on the responsibility of vetting candidates etc which is time consuming and a huge responsibility.

SYA

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 4:37 pm
A wonderful idea. I’m sure others would join. Maybe Yael can help organize this or allow one member to be the intermediary.

I’ll report my post so Yael sees this.

thesoundofmusic

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 4:45 pm
I am an ima mother who is in a difficult financial state and I just want to say how much it means to me (and I am sure so many others) when I saw this. it is such a good feeling when other women care and share the burden. it is so chessedik! נשים צדיקות ממש!

gr82no

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 4:51 pm
That is such an incredible idea! In order get the funds I guess there would be some kind of vouching system and then people donate to imamother fund. And the person in charge distributes the money.
It would be nice if every Rosh Chodesh the money donated that month would be divided.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:04 pm
Is it difficult to form an imamother 501c3 charity with tax id number? I would be so excited to give maaser there each month. Yael could appoint a moderator to handle requests and this way women have a safe place to turn without tons of bureaucracy that regular tzedaka / government programs have.

I have no idea how these things work. I just see so many posts of women crying out and honestly I'd do it for selfish reasons! I have my few hundred dollars of maaser a month that I have to deal with - I like to diversify my giving and would love to know that I am helping women in need.

Java

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it difficult to form an imamother 501c3 charity with tax id number? I would be so excited to give maaser there each month. Yael could appoint a moderator to handle requests and this way women have a safe place to turn without tons of bureaucracy that regular tzedaka / government programs have.

I have no idea how these things work. I just see so many posts of women crying out and honestly I'd do it for selfish reasons! I have my few hundred dollars of maaser a month that I have to deal with - I like to diversify my giving and would love to know that I am helping women in need.

It would be a massive, massive undertaking. I doubt that yael (despite all she does for us) would be eager to take it on. Feel free to contradict me yael!
Perhaps if she could find a volunteer to organize and run it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:19 pm
ok - so I realize Yael has a lot on her plate just dealing with this website Smile
does anyone know a tzedaka where I can just deposit money for people struggling that you know for a fact the money goes to help people?
I give tomchei shabbos, ahavas tzedaka, rccs, bikkur cholim. Where else can I give?

Java

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
ok - so I realize Yael has a lot on her plate just dealing with this website Smile
does anyone know a tzedaka where I can just deposit money for people struggling that you know for a fact the money goes to help people?
I give tomchei shabbos, ahavas tzedaka, rccs, bikkur cholim. Where else can I give?

Haha we cross posted Smile I think I read about something called the donor fund but that might be for people who have on the scale of millions to give away
I try to give to bonei olam once in a while-really makes me grateful for my brachos bh!!!

justmarried:)

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:24 pm
Such a beautiful idea! Just trying to think of a practical way it can work….

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:26 pm
Not sure how much maaser you have but paying for someone's therapy is a great way to use it.

Mention to friends and people that you want to do this. Or if you know a therapist personally you can ask them if anyone approaches them without the funds you will cover it. Or your shul or community Rav for sure knows a couple or person who can't afford therapy.

If you can't cover someone's therapy perhaps you can combine maaser with someone else to cover it. Or donate it to a mental health organization.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:30 pm
My son is in darchei in Far Rockaway and Rabbi bender always is requesting $ for a fund he manages for people in the community who need money for basic things. You can always donate there.

SYA

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:31 pm
Creating and maintaining a 501c3 is work. There are yearly returns to send to the irs. I don’t think Yael would have time for that. But maybe there is someone on Imamother who Yael trusts and is willing to vet the recipients.

A woman in my community collected for Pesach to deposit in the local supermarket under individuals accounts. Many were helped.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:34 pm
Your rav most likely has a fund where he gives money to families who need it without any red tape.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:35 pm
Ask the rav of your shul, they often have a fund to give directly to the people in the shul who need it.

DustyDiamonds

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:44 pm
If you want to give directly to people on this site, the simplest thing would probably be for the needy Imamothers to create a ChessedFund.com page. It’s similar to Charidy or GoFundMe, but managed as a non profit by frum people, and it doesn’t take a % of what you donate.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:46 pm
I would donate to a fund like that too

Yael

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:08 pm
This is a beautiful idea and I’d love to make it happen. However I have zero experience with the paperwork involved in setting up and maintaining a charitable organization. If someone would volunteer to help me out maybe we can actually do this.

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:15 pm
I'd love to apply.
Cant even afford diapers or wipes atm.
I have a procedure tomorrow I'm putting on CC.
We go to my parents every shabbos to save on food.
Husband was let go.
The list goes on and on
BH...

oh and im only married 2 years. I cant imagine living life like this with more kids and being this poor

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:15 pm
thesoundofmusic wrote:
I am an ima mother who is in a difficult financial state and I just want to say how much it means to me (and I am sure so many others) when I saw this. it is such a good feeling when other women care and share the burden. it is so chessedik! נשים צדיקות ממש!

Ditto. I’m the op of resigning myself to the fact that Hashem wants us poor. This means so much!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics