Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
No camp or playgroup wants my child- Haverstraw

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 2:33 pm
So my now 3 year old son has nowhere to go this Summer. He has behavioral issues and doesn't speak clearly, and I couldn't get him in to a special needs program. I'm feeling really stuck, and I really don't know what to do. I'm trying to get him speech therapy and special education services through the board of education, but I probably won't get anything for the Summer. Who knows what September will bring- the playgroup I planned to send him probably won't take him then either. I have a full time job I can't be home with him, and staying home probably is not healthy for him either.
I really don't know what to do. I'm feeling really stuck and I just want the best for my child.
We live in Haverstraw, not sure what other info I can provide that might be helpful.
Does anyone have advice?

amother
Sage

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 2:50 pm
I have no idea where Haverstraw is... just had to google it. But I just wanted to let you know that I said some tehillim for you. No helpful ideas, I apologize! But this sounds very challenging. I hope you are able to come up with a solution easily!

ddmom

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 3:15 pm
Can you hire a shadow for him in the regular day camp? He gets social interaction and stimulation but counselors are not responsible to watch him all the time.
(I dk where Haverstraw is either so no specific advice.)

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 3:20 pm
Haverstraw is right outside of Monsey near New City and Pomona. I’m assuming you tried Monsey options? Especially with a shadow?

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 5:32 pm
mosnseypeakprogram@gmail.com seems like they shadow kids in regular camps but note sure exactly

amother
Coral

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 5:44 pm
Can you call Hamaspik and see if they have any advice? 845-356-8400

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 6:45 pm
Please evaluate your child and request placement in Gan Ezra for the summer and next year.

You may be able to send your kid now, you never know.

Gan Ezras goal is to have the kids attend mainstream schools after the graduate.

My teen DC went to Gan Ezra after getting kicked out if playground for behavior. We had a great experience.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:27 pm
Are you eligible for comfort health/ hcbs?
If you are then you can use the hours for a para/ shadow during the day in camp

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:32 pm
I don’t think you can get HCBS in such a short time. I’m sorry you’re in this situation. There are some backyard day camps in Haverstraw, they won’t take you? I’m sorry you’re in this situation! Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics