Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Texas Shooting
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

sushilover

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 5:52 pm
sushilover wrote:
Wow. So many lies you have been fed. I'm sorry.
1) Mass killings happen in Europe too. Basically at the same rate per capita as America.
2) Even when Walmart did sell guns, buyers were required to pass a background check and waiting period.
3) There are literally thousands of gun laws supported by the NRA and gun owners. (they are often not enforced. We have been screaming about this for years. But the left just wants to blame the right and make even more laws and then, I guess, not enforce them either.)
4) Automatics are basically banned in the US.

This post got 3 passive aggressive hugs. If the hugs mean that I stated something incorrectly, I'd be happy to be corrected. If it means that you are sad that the facts don't match your agenda, then thank you for the compliments. Cheers

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:06 pm
sushilover wrote:
This post got 3 passive aggressive hugs. If the hugs mean that I stated something incorrectly, I'd be happy to be corrected. If it means that you are sad that the facts don't match your agenda, then thank you for the compliments. Cheers

I liked it, but what if the hug means they actually love what you said?

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Wed, May 25 2022, 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:23 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Reminds me of Columbine….

I would encourage you to read Dave Cullen's book about Columbine. It wasn't about any of those things at all. It was about two boys, one a psychopath and one suicidally depressed, who repeatedly got in trouble with the law and nobody caught it. It was never about clothes or bullying.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:25 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I would encourage you to read Dave Cullen's book about Columbine. It wasn't about any of those things at all. It was about two boys, one a psychopath and one suicidally depressed, who repeatedly got in trouble with the law and nobody caught it. It was never about clothes or bullying.

I know what Columbine was about, I just meant the description

Mindfully

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:39 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Yes, this is what matters. So much to be grateful for as 20 children are buried. Let’s somehow make this all about jews being the target even though that has zero to do with this or the situation in Buffalo.

Everything that happens in the world is for us to examine and take to heart. Yes, I am grateful he wasn't a white supremist. That was a chessed from Hashem.

Mindfully

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:43 pm
Mindfully wrote:

I am just so grateful that he wasn't another white supremist like the guy in Buffalo. If he were, the Jews would be a target and the blacks would have more reason to hate whites, feel inferior and G-do forbid, riot.

What's wrong with what I wrote? Why the hugs? Because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy?

Fox

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:09 pm
Raisin wrote:
Umm, what country exactly are you referring to that is homogenoeous? Maybe some Eastern European countries that don't attract a lot of immigrants, but most of Western Europe is extremely diverse with a wide range of different ethnicities, race and religion. Racial problems are less severe since there is little history of slavery in Europe itself, but plenty of leftover issues from colonial days in countries like France and the UK.

Not as much as you're imagining. The UK is 87 percent white/European and 13 percent black, Asian, or other. France is 95 percent white/European. Germany is 87 percent white/European and 13 percent other.

The U.S. is 57 percent white/European; 18 percent Hispanic; 12 percent black; 6 percent Asian; with the remaining 7 percent "other" or "mixed." And because we're talking about such large numbers and the impact of generations of immigration, there are more subgroups within those broad categories. All of which makes harmonious coexistence more of a challenge.

Fox wrote:

But in fact, the U.S. has a total homide rate of approximately 6 per 100,000 residents while European nations are typically around 2 per 100,000.

Raisin wrote:
And the difference in numbers you are talking about are pretty substantial although you somehow make it sound less.

How are the raw numbers relevant? That makes no sense. It's the rate that is important. I'm not sure if the difference proves that Americans are pretty darned responsible with their guns or if Europeans are just murderous even without them, but a difference of 4 people per 100,000 is not a ringing endorsement for gun confiscation.

Fox

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:27 pm
exaustedmom wrote:
797 people were killed in Chicago in 2021. Over 3,500 were shot. Chicago has very strict gun laws.

Here's where it gets interesting. A few details about gun violence in Chicago.

First, 95 percent of all shootings occur in a single police district -- the 11th District.

Second and more important, Chicago neighborhoods that turned into killing fields did so because of a specific event: the passage of the 1994 Violent Crimes Act. To be fair, everyone in Congress loved this bill. Among other things it imposed harsh sentences of career criminals. Great plan, huh?

Not quite. What happened was that the older gang leaders were increasingly dispatched for long prison terms. It turns out that father figures who are seriously bad dudes are statistically better than no father figures at all. The true OGs -- in their 30s-50s -- wanted to live another day to deal drugs and keep Mexican cartels out of their turf. They had no patience for purposeless violence or anythng that cut into their profits, and they were happy to discipline hot-headed young gang-bangers who would draw police attention.

With the OGs in prison, the gangs were taken over by guys in their 20s with unchecked aggression and no one reining them in. They would happily gun people down in retaliation for a trifling insult.

Their guns are all illegal; it's not like they go and stand in line for a FOID card and take CC training.

This was one of the goals of President Trump's First Step Act -- to get people back in the neighborhoods who, despite not necessarily being squeaky clean, would nevertheless exert a positive influence.

All of which brings us back to the problem of "doing something." The increase in crime, especially related to the crack epidemic, led both Republicans and Democrats to "do something" in 1994. But the unintended consequence has cost thousands of lives in Chicago alone. "Doing something" is no virtue if you aren't prepared to examine, acknowledge, or respond to the unintended consequences.

exaustedmom

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:43 pm
Fox wrote:
Here's where it gets interesting. A few details about gun violence in Chicago.

First, 95 percent of all shootings occur in a single police district -- the 11th District.

Second and more important, Chicago neighborhoods that turned into killing fields did so because of a specific event: the passage of the 1994 Violent Crimes Act. To be fair, everyone in Congress loved this bill. Among other things it imposed harsh sentences of career criminals. Great plan, huh?

Not quite. What happened was that the older gang leaders were increasingly dispatched for long prison terms. It turns out that father figures who are seriously bad dudes are statistically better than no father figures at all. The true OGs -- in their 30s-50s -- wanted to live another day to deal drugs and keep Mexican cartels out of their turf. They had no patience for purposeless violence or anythng that cut into their profits, and they were happy to discipline hot-headed young gang-bangers who would draw police attention.

With the OGs in prison, the gangs were taken over by guys in their 20s with unchecked aggression and no one reining them in. They would happily gun people down in retaliation for a trifling insult.

Their guns are all illegal; it's not like they go and stand in line for a FOID card and take CC training.

This was one of the goals of President Trump's First Step Act -- to get people back in the neighborhoods who, despite not necessarily being squeaky clean, would nevertheless exert a positive influence.

All of which brings us back to the problem of "doing something." The increase in crime, especially related to the crack epidemic, led both Republicans and Democrats to "do something" in 1994. But the unintended consequence has cost thousands of lives in Chicago alone. "Doing something" is no virtue if you aren't prepared to examine, acknowledge, or respond to the unintended consequences.

Very interesting, Fox. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Congresswoman

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 9:01 pm
Mindfully wrote:
Everything that happens in the world is for us to examine and take to heart. Yes, I am grateful he wasn't a white supremist. That was a chessed from Hashem.

Because it’s in bad taste to think about your own gains, and how “I’m good” while others are right in the midst of an awful tragedy.

If you really have to, at least don’t say it out loud! For crying sake.

Try to imagine a scenario where you are ch”v the victim of a tragedy, and others are posting online how they are happy it doesn’t affect them.

Nothing personal but a crucial life lesson.

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 9:14 am
Fox wrote:
I just want to emphasis this.

Even for well-heeled parents who can afford the best, the options are significantly limited. Not to mention the fact that once a child turns 18, he is legally an adult and check himself out of any facility or treatment program.

More than a gun problem, we have a problem admitting that there exist a small number of seriously and/or violently mentally ill people who are dangerous to others.

Do we have a problem admitting this? Or is it just that there are no real solutions for them?

What is a parent (or in this case, grandparent) supposed to do if they have such a person in their family?

fmt4

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:07 am
Congresswoman wrote:
Because it’s in bad taste to think about your own gains, and how “I’m good” while others are right in the midst of an awful tragedy.

If you really have to, at least don’t say it out loud! For crying sake.

Try to imagine a scenario where you are ch”v the victim of a tragedy, and others are posting online how they are happy it doesn’t affect them.

Nothing personal but a crucial life lesson.

Exactly. It’s a really strange and non-empathetic reaction.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics