Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teachers: how much do you get paid?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:16 pm
I'm a tutor OOT
25k a yr
I work 9-3 with Abt a 1 hr break all together.
Maybe $1000 in gift cards/perks (I don't pay tuition yet)
(Fyi, I get WIC and Medicaid, that's it)

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:19 pm
Lakewood elementary school.
Teaching about 15 years.
Get free tuition thank You, Hashem.
Limudei Kodesh hours.
Next year will be paid about 38k.

I only get medicaid for my children and wic so not living the glamourous program life. I work super hard at a second job and live super simply. My husband is in kollel. If not for the raise, I would have had no choice but to leave teaching.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:25 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
Lakewood elementary school.
Teaching about 15 years.
Get free tuition thank You, Hashem.
Limudei Kodesh hours.
Next year will be paid about 38k.

I only get medicaid for my children and wic so not living the glamourous program life. I work super hard at a second job and live super simply. My husband is in kollel. If not for the raise, I would have had no choice but to leave teaching.

Wow. I'm a school-based speech therapist and I would not make 38k if I only worked during limudei kodesh hours (that's why I work a whole school day +evenings/sundays)

And with free tution, your salary is worth more like 50k.

And yes I also have a ton if prep work at home, and writing progress reports and contacting parents etc

I'm not jealous, but this just proves that teachers are nowhere near as underpaid as they claim.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:32 pm
I work 8-1 and make just over $20,000. Been teaching 16 years.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:33 pm
Lol 38k plus free tuition…for working 3.5 hours a day, 10 months a year. Wow thats rough!

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:34 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Lol 38k plus free tuition…for working 3.5 hours a day, 10 months a year. Wow thats rough!

Luxury, bliss! Send it to Florida and im game!

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:35 pm

It's less than 10 months a year, because most schools don't start on the first day of Sept and go until the last day of june. And the average school calendar includes approx 30-35 paid vacation days (I counted on 3 diff calendars).

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:37 pm
Quote:
I'm a tutor OOT
25k a yr
I work 9-3 with Abt a 1 hr break all together.
Maybe $1000 in gift cards/perks (I don't pay tuition yet)
(Fyi, I get WIC and Medicaid, that's it)

Comes out to about $29 an hour

Not sure what this thread is trying to prove?

Are teachers underpaid? Yes
Do they work significantly less hours than many other professions? Yes

I'm not saying they're not worth more than they're getting paid, but the problem is much more complicated than just raising tuition as an answer

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:39 pm

Who said it's rough? I don't feel overpaid. I work hard and have a lot of experience. In my second job, I built myself up and charge over 100 per hour - why don't you mock that?

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:45 pm
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
Luxury, bliss! Send it to Florida and im game!

No one said it's luxury and bliss. But it's not a bad deal either. Can you name another job where you can work half a day, less than 10 months a year, get 30-35 paid vacation days, and no degree needed, that would give you 38k+ free tuition?

And YES MANY OTHER JOBS REQUIRE WORK AT HOME ALSO

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:47 pm
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
No one said it's luxury and bliss. But it's not a bad deal either. Can you name another job where you can work half a day, less than 10 months a year, get 30-35 paid vacation days, and no degree needed, that would give you 38k+ free tuition?

In today's world girls are coming out of seminary and making 40k+ at office jobs with zero experience. Fifteen years in, they'll be working 9:30-2:30 and making 70k +.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:49 pm
In today's world girls are coming out of seminary and making 40k+ at office jobs with zero experience. Fifteen years in, they'll be working 9:30-2:30 and making 70k +.

Please list those jobs so I can go get one.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:50 pm
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
Please list those jobs so I can go get one.

Open any Lakewood publication and apply to every office that is begging people to come work for them.

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:51 pm
Teach at a charter school and make 75K.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:54 pm
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:

Louder for the people in the back Banging head

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:58 pm
I work in a preschool 10-3 and make $16k for the year Banging head

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:03 pm
Why so much vitriol?

If it’s such a well paid and easy job with so many perks, why doesn’t everyone complaining about it go and apply for a teaching job?

P.S. - I work in a Brooklyn BY and there was no talk of a raise here. I don’t get free or discounted tuition because my children can’t go to this school.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:07 pm

They're working 12 months a year, not 10. They do not have off all the million days that schools have off. And 930-230 is still more than 9-1230 (limudei kodesh hours). So of course they're making more

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:10 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Why so much vitriol?

If it’s such a well paid and easy job with so many perks, why doesn’t everyone complaining about it go and apply for a teaching job?

P.S. - I work in a Brooklyn BY and there was no talk of a raise here. I don’t get free or discounted tuition because my children can’t go to this school.

It's not vitriol. It's just that all this rhetoric about how underpaid teachers are is causing schools to raise salaries. And they are getting that money by raising tuition on parents who really, really cannot afford it. Personally, I have not yet gotten my kids' tuition bills for next year. But my stomach is in knots thinking about it. And there is really no other area for me to cut back in. I live on bare bones minimum.

They can raise the teachers' salaries by fundraising from other sources. Now is not the time to be raising tuition.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:11 pm
Fact is that teaching is a very, very difficult job. It has its perks, but it's not an easy job at all, and that's why it comes with a lot of perks.

That being said, I'm not running to be a teacher. I taught middle school for several years, but could not make ends meet with a growing family and dh in kollel. With my current job (15 years in b"h), my hours are flexible. I am my own boss and earn 6 digits but it's an extremely stressful job.

Everything has its pros and cons...
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics