Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O so, why not be a teacher?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:48 pm
It seems to me like everyone is jealous of the easy breazy life as a teacher, so how come we don't have more mothers and girls signing up to teach?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It seems to me like everyone is jealous of the easy breazy life as a teacher, so how come we don't have more mothers and girls signing up to teach?

Because myself and many others would make horrible teachers....

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:52 pm
Honestly maybe I should have. But I spent years of hard work and thousands of dollars getting a masters in a different field. I sometimes think I'll become a teacher when I retire from the job I'm currently in.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ha, ha. Because it is really hard work!! Unless you have a true passion for teaching, you'll be miserable.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:55 pm
I have a Master's in Education, a passion for teaching, several years of experience, lots of skill if I say so myself... and I still left the classroom! (At least for now) it's NOT easy!

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:55 pm
I'm not a teacher because:

1) I had some teachers that hurt me in terrible ways, and I know that none of them were intentionally cruel. I don't want to sign up to have the power to do that to someone else. (Obviously there's always a chance of hurting someone, but a teacher is a special position in this regard)

2) I don't do well with public speaking, and had no interest in a position that would involve public speaking every day.

3) My parents insisted that I get a college degree. I got a degree in something other than education.

4) I like to stay home with my children as long as possible. I picked a profession that gives me the flexibility I wanted in that regard. (And, in exchange, I am NOT off whenever the teachers are.)

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not everyone knows how to and is meant to teach.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:57 pm
Why doesn't everyone become a lawyer?
Or a doctor?
Or a school administrator?
Or a president?

Because we each have different capabilities, skill sets, interests and opportunities.

I don't think I'd make a bad teacher, but at this point in my life I can't swing it with childcare, and our school does not give free tuition for teachers' kids so that wouldn't help either. I freelance from home.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:40 pm
You couldn't pay me enough to be a schoolteacher...and I love to teach! But only adults who want to be there, if you please. I don't know a single good teacher who doesn't put in countless extra hours preparing. The only ones who don't are either lousy teachers who don't give a hang, or veterans who've been teaching the exact same classes for decades and are coasting along on whatever effort they invested back in the day. School or adult ed, they're stale, and it shows.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:46 pm
It’s very easy to tell other people not to make money and to work like a slave.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:22 pm
Because I’m shy and my biggest nightmare would be standing in front of 20+ students who are looking at me and expecting me to speak for hours.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 2:20 am
I'm not a teacher because I hated 99% of my teachers and I'm not interested in people hating me.

smss

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 2:48 am
Guys, the question isn't why doesn't everyone become teachers.

It's why doesn't everyone complaining about how easy teachers have it become teachers.

If you agree that it's not an easy job, this wasn't addressed to you! 😀

(ETA: I'm not OP but I did read the thread she's referencing and assume this is what she was getting at...)

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 9:34 am
In the yeshivish world, when I was starting to work only "top" girls, typically with pull would get a teaching position. They were highly coveted. See multiple stories in different publications of girls vying for teaching positions.

From all the crying, that is not the case anymore. Dunno if that is true or not.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 9:43 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
In the yeshivish world, when I was starting to work only "top" girls, typically with pull would get a teaching position. They were highly coveted. See multiple stories in different publications of girls vying for teaching positions.

From all the crying, that is not the case anymore. Dunno if that is true or not.

Same story in the chassidish world.
Girls woke up and realized that teaching isn't the gold it's made out to be. It can't support a learning DH.

By now, girls get degrees way more easily, special ed, speech, etc. Getting an office job isn't stigmatized. Girls who want to seriously support a husband are taking courses and getting into specialty fields that pay well, whether it's graphic design, makeup artist, electrolysis, sheitels, interior design, accounting, computer programming, website development, etc. They launch a career with potential to earn over 100/hour.

Who wants to work like a slave and be treated like a shmatte (by students, parents, and sometimes principal) when you don't even get paid decently?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics