Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/o Do you bring work home??
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:32 pm
I’m a nurse practitioner. If I’m running late, I’d rather document at home in the evening then stay late to finish charting. I get paid salary.

I also occasionally call family members back or other doctors etc to discuss a patient in the evening. I stay up to date with webinars and continuing education at night

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:33 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
What do you mean - she washes and sets wigs not during "official work hours"

Or she has work hours where she sees clients and work hours where she works alone.

sunspot

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:33 pm
I have my own business, so many times I put in work at night as well, since I have more flexibility during the day. It also works better for me this way without anybody around!

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:39 pm
I have an office job working in compliance. 9-5 job, no work after business hours other than pushing stressful thoughts about work out of mind.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:45 pm
Hospital SW. thankfully there’s no such thing as bringing my work home. I chose this workplace for many reasons one of which is the work life balance. Burnout is high as it is

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:49 pm
Accountant
Only during tax season

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:50 pm
I’m an accountant and get paid a salary. I often work a tight to complete urgent items especially at month end

amother
Maple

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What profession are you and do you need to do work at home? Many teachers think it's unique to them to have to do work after hours, so I'm wondering...do other people bring work home too? Do you get paid extra for bringing work home?

I am a full time nurse. I work many hours from home whenever I have an increase in work and not enough hours to do all the paperwork etc.
I do not get paid extra. Ha!
I also do not have a 401k, pension, or any other retirement benefit...

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:31 pm
I’m a software engineer. I’m expected to meet deadlines. However that is.
But I get paid decent and fairly in general.
And have many hours of work so I make a nice salary yearly.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:36 pm
Office job. I bring work home and work at night.

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:38 pm
I'm an editor at a publishing company. I never bring work home.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:08 am
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
I have an office job working in compliance. 9-5 job, no work after business hours other than pushing stressful thoughts about work out of mind.

I can relate to this. I have a stressful 9-4 job . I don't brink work home with me other then the stressful thoughts and occasionally the boss calling me with questions etc.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:40 am
Some of it is a job/career thing and some of it is a personality type or ability to work efficiently . I never brought work home when I worked but I has coworkers who did. I also rarely did homework at home during the week as a student, I would try to do it during free periods. My father is a doctor and has to do a lot of patient charting at home but his coworker does it all at the office during work hours. Sometimes it’s about boundaries, sometimes it’s just the nature of the job and sometimes it’s about procrastination etc

amother
Blush

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 1:08 am
Therapist here (I work for a facility).
I definitely bring work home. Paperwork, treatment planning, insurance reauthorizations, research, education, CEUs...
Oh plus boss calling me, texting... all required.

No 401k, pension, disability, or other financial benefits besides mandated sick leave (but definitely not enough!!)

My friends in private practice have the same except no boss calling them. But they work on advertising, working on business side of things...

Most jobs require this even if they write in the handbook that no "off clock" work can be done.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:28 am
Nurse practitioner. I do shift work so it would be impossible to bring work home, but it’s also impossible to ever have the option to work from home.

DH works fully remote in tech and often sneaks into his office for a few minutes here and there in the evenings to check on things at work and update things and such.

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im an ot. I don't bring home paperwork because I have been in this field many years and I am very efficient so I get my paperwork done at work. I do spend time at home treatment planning when necessary.

It’s good to hear that it gets better with time. I’m a pretty fast/efficient person but my sessions are all back to back. I have an hour lunch break, which I technically can use for notes. I have to call parents every month, but I am allowed to use session time for that. When reports are due, I have time in school to work on that too. If I have to discuss an issue with a parent, I try to use that kid’s session time as well.

ora_43

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:58 am
I don't see this as a yes/no question.

Although I'm pretty close to a "no" - I do get calls/email after hours, but I get paid for most of them.

Dh gets calls after hours a couple times a week, no extra pay.

So it's a "yes," but - none of that comes anything close to the amount of work most teachers have at home.

My father was a teacher, he had at least 3 hours of work at home for each 1 in the classroom, probably more. That was university level and I'd expect a kindergarten teacher to have a much lower ratio - but still way beyond a "yes, I bring work home" in the sense of taking a 10-minute phone call or doing a few urgent edits.

When I taught (part-time, thank goodness...) I was spending at least 2 hours preparing for a 1-hour class. If I'd kept it up I assume the ratio would have gone down (because of having a set of already-planned lessons), but there would still be a lot of updating and adjusting to do.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:11 am
I am an OT at the DOE. I bring work home if there is an emergency type of situation which happens maybe 2x a year. And it's max 1-2 hrs of work.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:43 am
I'm a shlucha. My life is my work and vice versa.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:48 am
I’m a school counselor and very grateful that I don’t need to bring work home with me.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics