Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Mistreated by salesperson in clothing store
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:00 pm
title edited by mod

Yesterday afternoon I had a few minutes to spare and I really wanted something nice to wear for my daughter's graduation today. I brought along a skirt I'd bought for Pesach and had never found a top to match, hoping that I'd find something for it if not a totally different outfit since I'm in need of something a bit nicer/dressier. I went to a local Flatbush Jewish owned store and found not one but two tops-yay! I wasn't sure which would look better so I figured I'll try them both on plus I found another skirt that matched them and a dress that would be pretty for Shavuos. This store only has mirrors outside the dressing room, you have to come out to see how it looks. Top one, tucked in-very dressy, great! Top two, a sweater that dressed down the skirt I have plus matches the second one I'd found in the store. Headed back into the dressing room to try it on with this new skirt now and I hear the store owner saying Hey! Miss! Hey!! I go into the room and start undressing and I hear the owner shouting even louder. Oh boy, I wonder what's going on. Suddenly the store owner opens the curtain to my room and sticks her head in while I'm partially undressed and says "You can't go trying on other people's clothing in MY store!!!" Behind her head, I see every head in the store watching. I showed her the two tops from her store and said that I'd needed something to match my skirt and luckily found two things to match from her store. She said again in a louder voice "You still can't try on other people's clothing here, I have plenty of people in my store wanting to buy complete outfits. I can't waste time on people using my dressing rooms to try on clothes from other stores!!!". Wishing she'd calm down and lower her voice a little, I tried to smile and laugh it off by showing her what I was buying and saying she did even better than sell me a complete outfit lol because here I am buying three things when I came in for one! She was still angry and said again that it's her store policy to not allow things from other stores to be tried on in her dressing room. I said okay, it's okay because I'm finished with the room and I'll finish getting dressed now. She shut the curtain and told someone waiting that I'm done and she can have the room very soon. While getting dressed, I heard everyone else in the store buzzing about me. I put all her clothing back on the hangers and walked out, handed it to a non Jewish worker and said thank you and left. Every head in the store was watching me.

I'm curious how others feel about the store policy, should you be allowed to bring in something to find a match? Is it more acceptable to buy multiple items, intending to return what doesn't work? Because in a Jewish owned store that's very hard with the limited return policies. And my total time in the dressing room was a little under ten minutes, there were two other people waiting for a room. It's been kind of bothering me all day and I'm curious to hear what others think.

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:03 pm
So rude. You were trying to match a top to a skirt you owned! Good for you for not buying it and walking out the door! Give your money to someone else who is nice.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:03 pm
So did you buy it or not?
Also people were probably staring bc they were shocked? That sounds crazy.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:04 pm
Soooooo embarrassing you handled the whole thing like a pro!!

I’ve done this before in plenty of Jewish stores, sounds like this person was “off”.

I’m so sorry!! You win as coolheaded cucumber of the day! I wish I had your strength!

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:05 pm
I wouldnt shop there again

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:08 pm
Short of a fire, there is NEVER an excuse for anyone to open a dressing room door curtain while you are changing!

And no excuse for that policy either.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, OP. It sounds like you handled it so calmly despite her shaming you in public. Please daven for those in Klal Yisroel who need yeshuos! (And for you to find some nice clothing elsewhere. Smile )

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:14 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
So did you buy it or not?
Also people were probably staring bc they were shocked? That sounds crazy.

No, I put the clothing back on hangers and tried to walk out as quickly as possible so I could get to my car before the tears started. I'm still so confused, is it truly tacky/not okay/rude to bring clothing to a clothing store to find something to match it?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:17 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
Short of a fire, there is NEVER an excuse for anyone to open a dressing room door curtain while you are changing!

And no excuse for that policy either.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, OP. It sounds like you handled it so calmly despite her shaming you in public. Please daven for those in Klal Yisroel who need yeshuos! (And for you to find some nice clothing elsewhere. Smile )

This really made me laugh, thank you!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:18 pm
Oh my, this is horrible.
That sales women is obviously mentally ill. A sane person doesn't talk like that.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, I put the clothing back on hangers and tried to walk out as quickly as possible so I could get to my car before the tears started. I'm still so confused, is it truly tacky/not okay/rude to bring clothing to a clothing store to find something to match it?

It's a normal thing to bring a skirt to match a top. Otherwise, how would you know that the top is a matc??? I never heard of a store having such an absurd policy.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:20 pm
I never heard of that and I have seen many people do that. They bring their item to match and the sales woman helps them with it. Whoever yelled at you like that should check into a retirement facility asap.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ugh I'm sorry, I was so excited for you that you found so many things. It doesn't make any sense.

YounginBP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:26 pm
What you did was totally normal.

The local stores should not cry when we shop online!! They make it impossible!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:30 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I never heard of that and I have seen many people do that. They bring their item to match and the sales woman helps them with it. Whoever yelled at you like that should check into a retirement facility asap.

I agree with you except for that last bit. I wouldn’t want the nice old ladies at the retirement facility to have to be around someone crazy like that.
Op I’m sorry you had to deal with that. I’d never set foot in that store again. Good for you for keeping your cool and walking out with your dignity intact. I hope you find some great clothes at a store where customers get treated like human beings.

Skippy!!

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:36 pm
I'm so sorry that happened to you! I'm sure that the other customers were staring because they were shocked by the sales lady's behavior. Good luck, with finding something in another store!
Post the company's of the tops you were going to buy in the rude store, maybe one of us will recognize the brand and will know which other stores carry it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Imagine you walked into a store with clothes on, since who walks around naked, and then only took off your top but not your skirt when trying on a new top. OMG you're wearing another shop's clothes in her store!
Tell me if that sounds like you did something wrong, or if the proprietor sounds like she's off her rocker.
Spoiler alert - you did nothing wrong!
I'm so sorry she violated you like that, and embarrassed you like that, over and over.

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:53 pm
Nothing about this is ok - not the supposed "policy" nor the way she spoke to you and embarrassed you in public. You are completely in the right.
Hugs, I'm sorry you experienced this. Daven for all of us - it sounds like you handled that public embarrassment very well!

Amarante

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:06 pm
What an awful experience.

The policy doesn’t make sense since what is the difference if you try on a with a skirt you wearing versus bringing in the skirt separately. You have to make sure something goes in terms of both color and style 🤷‍♀️

twizzlers1

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:34 pm
Oh my gosh that is a horrible story! Good for you that you didn't buy anything and you should definitely be giving out lots of brachos since you were embarrassed in public and did not answer back. And use this time to daven for yourself as well. This woman does not sound well at all. I have done that numerous times where I bring a skirt and need a top. I hope that you find something to match that you love even better than what you couldn't buy.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:50 am
That's horrible. I wish you had the wherewithal to shout back loudly:

"For one thing, I am trying on clothing from your store (or at least I was), and for another, don't EVER open the dressing room when somebody is inside changing, you pervert. I came in here to buy clothes, not star in a peep show."
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics